Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yep, it is a fresh t-case. And yep, I've used 4Lo for putt putting around.

Cleaned up the spot on the floor an worked on other things, only to find another drip. From the nut of the flange. Apparently the same mechanic worked on that as put the plugs in. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Just got more coolant and DeWayne says the has a rebuilt Sag in stock for $50. We shall see, but it might be the reservoir seal and a new o-ring comes with the rebuilt one, although you re-use the reservoir. So, assuming it doesn't leak.....

And, for this test drive:

Good luck and enjoy the drive! :nabble_smiley_good:

X2 :nabble_smiley_good:

Do you have the rubber washer on top of that yoke and under the steel washer?

I think this is the order in the exploded for my rebuild kit???

USPS just drove past.

Running to the mailbox!

Thanks, guys. I did enjoy the drive. Put about 25 miles on it, including several runs from 1500 to 4000 at WOT and several other WOT tests in higher gears. It runs!

Here are some observations:

• Gas: I thought I had ~7 gallons in the rear tank when I started the truck the first time. It has run for maybe 30 minutes before today's drive, and I noticed the gauge was getting pretty near 3/4's so I stopped at "our pump", David, and put 18 gallons in a 19 gallon tank. But, I can say that for the first time ever I could put the pump on auto and it never tripped off.

• Power: It has very good power. Maybe not quite as much at idle as the previous engine with the Edelbrock cam had, but it has more above 2000 than the Eddy had.

• Idle: Things are smoothing out somewhat in the idle, perhaps from breaking in the rings, or maybe due to the fuel pressure.

• Fuel Pressure: Speaking of that, the pressure now sits squarely on 5 1/2 psi, which is where I've always run that regulator. Note that the return-style regulator was set at 5 psi, and I'm using the same gauge, so obviously more than 5 psi was getting through in order for this one to pass 5 1/2 psi.

• Ride: Much improved on the front axle, but it doesn't seem to have done much for the rear axle. I haven't jumped any kerbs as I don't want to abuse the truck and there's still that massively-sprung rear axle that has to hit. But I have hit a number of significant bumps in the road that used to have us checking our teeth afterward, and the front is much better.

• Tranny: Love the ZF5! Second gear is great for starting from a stop, and that 5.72 first gear is wonderful for creeping. But the best thing is the overdrive! That 1800 RPM at 65 is magic. Sooooo much better than the 2500 of the T-19's top gear. (And it purrs, or maybe growls, nicely at 75 MPH.)

I'm planning to take it in for alignment tomorrow, assuming the diaper isn't too wet, and maybe get the exhaust on Thursday.

As for the t-case Jim, I'm not sure how it stacks up but I thought I did it according to the book. But I think it is coming through the splines, so will have to drain it and check it out.

Big Blue said "Good morning, Gary. :nabble_anim_blbl:"

Sorry Gary, I know that must be most annoying to you. I hate a leak, especially if I did the work. Fortunately, no leaks from my most recent ventures. Still have a rear main seal leak, trans pan leak, and possible transfer case leak. But, not unexpected from the old guy. He needs some depends!

Thanks, guys. I did enjoy the drive. Put about 25 miles on it, including several runs from 1500 to 4000 at WOT and several other WOT tests in higher gears. It runs!

• Gas: I thought I had ~7 gallons in the rear tank when I started the truck the first time. It has run for maybe 30 minutes before today's drive, and I noticed the gauge was getting pretty near 3/4's so I stopped at "our pump", David, and put 18 gallons in a 19 gallon tank. But, I can say that for the first time ever I could put the pump on auto and it never tripped off.

• Power: It has very good power. Maybe not quite as much at idle as the previous engine with the Edelbrock cam had, but it has more above 2000 than the Eddy had.

• Idle: Things are smoothing out somewhat in the idle, perhaps from breaking in the rings, or maybe due to the fuel pressure.

• Fuel Pressure: Speaking of that, the pressure now sits squarely on 5 1/2 psi, which is where I've always run that regulator. Note that the return-style regulator was set at 5 psi, and I'm using the same gauge, so obviously more than 5 psi was getting through in order for this one to pass 5 1/2 psi.

• Ride: Much improved on the front axle, but it doesn't seem to have done much for the rear axle. I haven't jumped any kerbs as I don't want to abuse the truck and there's still that massively-sprung rear axle that has to hit. But I have hit a number of significant bumps in the road that used to have us checking our teeth afterward, and the front is much better.

• Tranny: Love the ZF5! Second gear is great for starting from a stop, and that 5.72 first gear is wonderful for creeping. But the best thing is the overdrive! That 1800 RPM at 65 is magic. Sooooo much better than the 2500 of the T-19's top gear. (And it purrs, or maybe growls, nicely at 75 MPH.)

I'm planning to take it in for alignment tomorrow, assuming the diaper isn't too wet, and maybe get the exhaust on Thursday.

As for the t-case Jim, I'm not sure how it stacks up but I thought I did it according to the book. But I think it is coming through the splines, so will have to drain it and check it out.

Right! Through the splines.

Did you apply RTV on assembly, or are the 1345 directions different than the 1356?

The rubber washer crushes under the steel washer and yoke nut, but doesn't really get a chance to completely seal the splines.

My slinger is dry as a bone.

As I said the fuel pressure looks rock steady with the non-return regulator. :nabble_smiley_good:

Whether it is why the idle has smoothed out IDK.

Ride:

You're not using this as a work truck or a trailer hauler.

So while you don't need the stiff spring pack, you're going to need something to control wrap.

Hop and kick really are rough on the drivetrain.

And you have plenty of power, especially off road.

As I said the fuel pressure looks rock steady with the non-return regulator. :nabble_smiley_good:

Ride:

So while you don't need the stiff spring pack, you're going to need something to control wrap.

John - There are always niggling little problems like this, so I shouldn't be surprised. I'll get them worked out. (I'm saying that as much to me as you.)

Jim - I don't remember what I did on the splines, but something isn't right. I'm going to see how bad it is in the morning and see if it can go in for alignment the way it is.

As for the P/S, if it appears to be the pump I'll probably pick the rebuilt one up from DeWayne while I'm out tomorrow.

But I'll wait a while to make changes on the rear suspension. I want to get this thing together and enjoy it a bit.

Ride:

I forgot to comment on the fuel pressure. Yes, it does appear to be rock steady. And all I'd have to do to test the front tank's FDM would be to plug it in and flip the switch. Who knows, it might work.

Good old Mr. Bass? With or without alcohol?

Good old Mr. Bass? With or without alcohol?

Yep, Mr Bass and 91 octane w/o alcohol. Hopefully I can run 87 octane, but until I know for sure....