Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Time for an early mid-day report - I drove it! Around the yard to turn it around and then out through the gate and around the neighborhood. :nabble_anim_jump:

But first, the morning's activities. The seat and seat belts are now bolted in with thread sealer on the fasteners. And the power steering/hydroboost system apparently doesn't have any leaks. It seems that the dummy that filled it up missed the filler hole on the Saginaw and it ran down the side thereof, dripped onto the crossmember, ran down that, and then dripped onto the ground.

I checked everything over and it was all tight, so I filled it up and started the truck. No leaks. Turned the wheel, refilled, turned the wheel, refilled, stomped the brakes, refilled, etc until it needed no more fluid.

And here are some observations from the drive:

• The steering works very smoothly and it turns much tighter than it used to

• The brakes WORK! Don't press the pedal unless you want to STOP!

• The tranny shifts nicely

• The ride is better, although I really haven't gone far enough to tell much

• The transfer case shifts nicely, although I apparently put the shift arm in backwards as 4Lo is in front and 2Hi is to the rear. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So this afternoon I'm going to install the 2nd pressure regulator, although the pressure was sitting nicely on 5 psi when I checked it. If I have time left after that I'll install the headlight doors so the turn signals have a place to ride. Then maybe I'll add the grille and upper and lower trim.

:nabble_anim_jump:

Seems so nice, Gary!

Congratulations. :nabble_anim_handshake: (there is no pat on the back)

Maybe you should go jump the curb in Steve's parking lot when you bring BB for alignment?

I mean, there's no reason to abuse his new work, but you should get a feel for what that RSK is doing for you.

Seems so nice, Gary!

Congratulations. :nabble_anim_handshake: (there is no pat on the back)

Maybe you should go jump the curb in Steve's parking lot when you bring BB for alignment?

I mean, there's no reason to abuse his new work, but you should get a feel for what that RSK is doing for you.

Seems rock steady! 👍💪

Seems so nice, Gary!Congratulations. :nabble_anim_handshake: (there is no pat on the back)Maybe you should go jump the curb in Steve's parking lot when you bring BB for alignment?I mean, there's no reason to abuse his new work, but you should get a feel for what that RSK is doing for you.
Thanks, guys. I'm not sure I'm quite at the finish line, Rob, but I can see it. Sure feels good, but there are still a few things to work out.

Jim - Not sure I want to hit the curb as that reminds me of a text from my son a few days ago: "Do you have any tricks to get a stuck wheel off?" Told him to put the bolt/nuts back in/on but loose, and put it back down on the ground. He called later to explain that it was on his wife's Audi and there'd been a curb involved and the tire was flat. He got the tire off and the doughnut spare on, after using the on-board air compressor as they come flat. :nabble_smiley_cry:

As for what I did this afternoon, at the end of the day I discovered a small spot of purple lube under the engine crossmember again. Apparently I do have a leak in the P/S system, and it appears to be coming from around the pump as all of the lines and connections between the pump and the hydroboost unit are completely dry. So I wiped everything down and placed clean paper towels where they'll catch the leak and, hopefully, I can pinpoint it tomorrow.

I also got the piggybacked fuel pressure regulator on. Here's a shot of the whole contraption:

Piggy_Backed_Fuel_Pressure_Regulators.thumb.jpg.28e97d8cdf708c0ce44099509c584ef0.jpg

In that shot you can see that I used a mount for the fuel injection rail on the lower plenum to hold a piece of aluminum on which the regulator's bracket is mounted. Unfortunately I didn't account for the angle the mount has with reference to horizontal and, as you can see in the pic below, the pressure gauge sits up a bit. And that "bit" is about 1/4" too much as it hits the air cleaner. So tomorrow I think I'll tweak the aluminum plate just a bit. :nabble_smiley_sleep:

But the real question is whether it works or not, and it does appear to do so. Unfortunately I only have one gauge so I don't know for sure that the pressure was bouncing around at the first regulator, and since it didn't always do it I don't know when we'll know for sure that it works. But I think it is and will check it out more tomorrow.

Thanks, guys. I'm not sure I'm quite at the finish line, Rob, but I can see it. Sure feels good, but there are still a few things to work out.

Jim - Not sure I want to hit the curb as that reminds me of a text from my son a few days ago: "Do you have any tricks to get a stuck wheel off?" Told him to put the bolt/nuts back in/on but loose, and put it back down on the ground. He called later to explain that it was on his wife's Audi and there'd been a curb involved and the tire was flat. He got the tire off and the doughnut spare on, after using the on-board air compressor as they come flat. :nabble_smiley_cry:

As for what I did this afternoon, at the end of the day I discovered a small spot of purple lube under the engine crossmember again. Apparently I do have a leak in the P/S system, and it appears to be coming from around the pump as all of the lines and connections between the pump and the hydroboost unit are completely dry. So I wiped everything down and placed clean paper towels where they'll catch the leak and, hopefully, I can pinpoint it tomorrow.

I also got the piggybacked fuel pressure regulator on. Here's a shot of the whole contraption:

In that shot you can see that I used a mount for the fuel injection rail on the lower plenum to hold a piece of aluminum on which the regulator's bracket is mounted. Unfortunately I didn't account for the angle the mount has with reference to horizontal and, as you can see in the pic below, the pressure gauge sits up a bit. And that "bit" is about 1/4" too much as it hits the air cleaner. So tomorrow I think I'll tweak the aluminum plate just a bit. :nabble_smiley_sleep:

But the real question is whether it works or not, and it does appear to do so. Unfortunately I only have one gauge so I don't know for sure that the pressure was bouncing around at the first regulator, and since it didn't always do it I don't know when we'll know for sure that it works. But I think it is and will check it out more tomorrow.

I LOVE those Audi and Porsche tire inflators! 💓The slightly older ones are better than current.A great thing to snag when a totalled car is going to scrap. 💡You have tall E-rated tires. If properly inflated there's not a chance of failure (You better hope not if you have intentions of taking it off-road)Heck, I jump curbs all the time, and my truck bottoms hard because of lack of travel.Not my truck, but if I had an RSK I would be chomping at the bit to use it.

I LOVE those Audi and Porsche tire inflators! 💓

The slightly older ones are better than current.

A great thing to snag when a totalled car is going to scrap. 💡

You have tall E-rated tires.

If properly inflated there's not a chance of failure (You better hope not if you have intentions of taking it off-road)

Heck, I jump curbs all the time, and my truck bottoms hard because of lack of travel.

Not my truck, but if I had an RSK I would be chomping at the bit to use it.

I don't doubt that, my 215/85R16 E rated tires still aren't showing much wear after nearly 6 years on the front.

He's an old man.

He dribbles a little bit.

It's nothing out of the ordinary.

Honestly, that puddle doesn't look purple to me.

If it's Synchromax MT it's got to stink like gear oil.

Nope, that puddle was red. Amsoil from the t-case. Appears to have come out past the front seal. Wasn't thrown, but dripped off the slinger flange on the yoke. Wondering if it'll "wear in"? :nabble_smiley_sad:

As for the purple stuff, it appears it came off either the bottom of the reservoir or the outlet fitting, which was tight but is not tighter. So I put a diaper on it to see if I can spot where it is coming from.

But the good news is that I got the fuel pressure gauge to clear the air cleaner. Think I'll take it for a spin.

Diaper_On_A_Saginaw.thumb.jpg.791a96fb9e72bcf3a10803558e3aa17e.jpg

Nope, that puddle was red. Amsoil from the t-case. Appears to have come out past the front seal. Wasn't thrown, but dripped off the slinger flange on the yoke. Wondering if it'll "wear in"? :nabble_smiley_sad:

As for the purple stuff, it appears it came off either the bottom of the reservoir or the outlet fitting, which was tight but is not tighter. So I put a diaper on it to see if I can spot where it is coming from.

But the good news is that I got the fuel pressure gauge to clear the air cleaner. Think I'll take it for a spin.

That's a fresh T-case....

I know when I had mine down, I took a wire brush on this bench grinder and then some Scotchbrite to the seal surface of that yoke.

While I did pre-lube the seal, I haven't had a drip.

I assume you have had the case engaged, as you know the shifter is in backwards.

Even though you say you don't have a front driveshaft.

That's a fresh T-case....

I know when I had mine down, I took a wire brush on this bench grinder and then some Scotchbrite to the seal surface of that yoke.

While I did pre-lube the seal, I haven't had a drip.

I assume you have had the case engaged, as you know the shifter is in backwards.

Even though you say you don't have a front driveshaft.

Yep, it is a fresh t-case. And yep, I've used 4Lo for putt putting around.

Cleaned up the spot on the floor an worked on other things, only to find another drip. From the nut of the flange. Apparently the same mechanic worked on that as put the plugs in. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Just got more coolant and DeWayne says the has a rebuilt Sag in stock for $50. We shall see, but it might be the reservoir seal and a new o-ring comes with the rebuilt one, although you re-use the reservoir. So, assuming it doesn't leak.....

And, for this test drive:

Front_T-Case_Shaft_Leaks.thumb.jpg.b974f392e8df52c9c0fcda8c2f472082.jpg