Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ah!

Your favorite mystery grease has given you a dead hole.

(Could have found it with the IR)

But 2 & 5 look pretty sooty.

Any idea why they seem so much worse than all the others?

I wish they would just copper plate the threads on sparkplugs.

No seizing in cast iron (though diffusion might be a problem for aluminium)

Good conduction.

No need for the hideous black glop all over everything.

I wish they would just copper plate the threads on sparkplugs.

No seizing in cast iron (though diffusion might be a problem for aluminium)

Good conduction.

No need for the hideous black glop all over everything.

Yes, that blotch is now aluminium. Surely conducts quite well. Ain't about to scrape off. O'Reilly's didn't have the ASF42's, but they did have a new Autolite 24, so I'm going back with these + the new one.

No idea on 2 & 5, but the choke wasn't off yet.

Going back out to install the plugs, and will let y'all know soonest. But those heat shields complicate things a bit, so it goes rather slowly.

Yes, that blotch is now aluminium. Surely conducts quite well. Ain't about to scrape off. O'Reilly's didn't have the ASF42's, but they did have a new Autolite 24, so I'm going back with these + the new one.

No idea on 2 & 5, but the choke wasn't off yet.

Going back out to install the plugs, and will let y'all know soonest. But those heat shields complicate things a bit, so it goes rather slowly.

I'm sure the headers don't help either.

I'm sure the headers don't help either.
Ok, now all cylinders are firing and things are starting to come together. There are some noises in the valve train from time to time, and the fuel pressure sometimes sits at 5 psi and sometimes goes wonky. But it isn't running rich as I can lean the idle out too much with the mixture screws, and at 500 RPM (on the tach, but it may be a bit higher) it pulls 16" of vacuum.

I talked to Steve/FoxFord33 this morning at church and he said Wednesday would be a good day to bring it in for alignment. So I need to get the seat and seat belts nailed down, the power steering/hydroboost leak found and fixed and the system bled, and then try the 2nd regulator on the fuel system.

And here's what the exhaust currently sounds like. But if I get it aligned on Wednesday I hope to have the exhaust system done on Thursday.

Ok, now all cylinders are firing and things are starting to come together. There are some noises in the valve train from time to time, and the fuel pressure sometimes sits at 5 psi and sometimes goes wonky. But it isn't running rich as I can lean the idle out too much with the mixture screws, and at 500 RPM (on the tach, but it may be a bit higher) it pulls 16" of vacuum.

I talked to Steve/FoxFord33 this morning at church and he said Wednesday would be a good day to bring it in for alignment. So I need to get the seat and seat belts nailed down, the power steering/hydroboost leak found and fixed and the system bled, and then try the 2nd regulator on the fuel system.

And here's what the exhaust currently sounds like. But if I get it aligned on Wednesday I hope to have the exhaust system done on Thursday.

When did you put the belt back on?Or is it leaking with no pressure in the system?

There's no belt, so it is leaking with no pressure on the system. Why were you asking about the cooler? Think it might have rusted through?

Chafed on one of the clips, or the hose wasn't tight.

My truck is "self rustproofing" :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

But if an oil pan can rust through, so can a power steering tube.

If you put the belt on I'd bet you find the leak fast enough! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

Chafed on one of the clips, or the hose wasn't tight.

My truck is "self rustproofing" :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

But if an oil pan can rust through, so can a power steering tube.

If you put the belt on I'd bet you find the leak fast enough! :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I hope it is something easy. And something obvious.

But first I have to find the M10 bolts with which to properly install the seats.