Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary, you are using the rear tank only right now correct? I still wonder about the ability of those regulators to drop a pump capable 50 + psi down to 5-6 psi. The other item, how much gas is in that rear tank? It looks like it could be drawing air in, then gas, then air.

One item you might try, rig a bypass high pressure to return with throttling valve and with the engine off, key on, adjust it so the regulator isn't trying to throttle that pressure down to 1/10, it may be that it is chattering on the seat, in fact from looking at the gauge, I will bet if you put your hand on the line you can probably feel it pulsing.

He'd need to jumper the oil pressure switch to have the pump running, engine off, but it could be done.

I don't know where Gary is going when he institutes EFI, as that requires a pulsing PIP signal to keep the pump active.

Even the "dumb" HFH vapor separator ahead of the regulator might provide enough bypass to get it under control.

A cap and rotor or plugs or wires won't show on the tach, it only reads primary pulses.

Ray Cecil, a french distributor is almost a mission impossible on a 460 due to the size of that cap and the thermostat housing, if you get it in, I think you have almost no adjustment range due to interference.

I understand this Bill.

But Gary is saying the DSII module or coil is at fault, and obviously they are not showing the symptom.

A cap and rotor or plugs or wires won't show on the tach, it only reads primary pulses.

Ray Cecil, a french distributor is almost a mission impossible on a 460 due to the size of that cap and the thermostat housing, if you get it in, I think you have almost no adjustment range due to interference.

I wasnt aware of the interferance, but I was only joking.

Yes, ignition problems dont necessarily show up on a tach, as Bill mentioned.

Gary, you can always pull a plug wire, and get it close to a ground to arc it. If its yellowish, its weak obviously.

That fuel situation has got me thinking....Id get that figured out first.

Process of elimination.

I think I'm going to go off-line for the evening. I'll check on the part number tomorrow. And I'll also figure out what to do and test.

Congratulations on the first start Gary! I know you still have issues to work out, but considering the extent and scope of the changes you performed, I’d still say the first start went well. I wish I had troubleshooting suggestions, but I can’t think of anything not already discussed. Hopefully you will get it nailed down soon. One always hopes with enough planning and attention to detail that it will work perfectly right out of the gate but it almost never does. Having a brand new module test bad is frustrating. I hear of that far too often.

Congratulations on the first start Gary! I know you still have issues to work out, but considering the extent and scope of the changes you performed, I’d still say the first start went well. I wish I had troubleshooting suggestions, but I can’t think of anything not already discussed. Hopefully you will get it nailed down soon. One always hopes with enough planning and attention to detail that it will work perfectly right out of the gate but it almost never does. Having a brand new module test bad is frustrating. I hear of that far too often.

So far it hasn't "tested" bad, Jonathan.

Like I said IF it was bad, you would see it in the tach, because it wouldn't be breaking the coil ground properly.

That's really the only way they fail.

So far it hasn't "tested" bad, Jonathan.

Like I said IF it was bad, you would see it in the tach, because it wouldn't be breaking the coil ground properly.

That's really the only way they fail.

Gary said the bad ignition box from the first video was new... and by testing I was just referring to the substitution. He said he didn’t know if it was bad right out of the box, but if it was this isn’t the first instance I’ve heard about. I like he DSII system, but carrying a spare module is right up there with carrying a spare tire.

Gary said the bad ignition box from the first video was new... and by testing I was just referring to the substitution. He said he didn’t know if it was bad right out of the box, but if it was this isn’t the first instance I’ve heard about. I like he DSII system, but carrying a spare module is right up there with carrying a spare tire.

And I have one under my seat too, Jonathan.

But if you've needed it, you know the sure sign it's failed.

The tach either freaks out or goes dead.

I didn't see that in either of Gary's videos.

Did you?

Did swapping the box eliminate the misfire?

Not from what I've seen.

Did you?

Not from what I've seen.

Bill says the cap, rotor, wires or plugs may be the cause.

I won't even attempt to dispute that.

But it is a Scotty tuned distributor, so I very much doubt the problem has to do with the new cap and rotor.

Gary has the EFI heat shields in place.

So I doubt the wires are shorting to the headers.

If he's using Autolites though....

I've had my problems with them.

And when you get misfires after installing a new set of plugs, you just don't trust them when zero QC is the obvious cause.

This is why I said put the timing light on each wire or use the IR to determine which cylinder(s) are misbehaving.

Did you?

Not from what I've seen.

Jeez Jim, 4:22 am posting.....do you ever get any sleep buddy...lol! Surprised Gary's not posted yet, he's an early riser too. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out.

I understand this Bill.

But Gary is saying the DSII module or coil is at fault, and obviously they are not showing the symptom.

Gary has a DSII tester I gave him a number of years ago (actually traded him for a MAC scope) so he can test and rule the box good or bad and it may also test the coil and resistance wires.

On the fuel pumps, the EEC controls the fuel pump relay, it will pulse during the initial key on, then once the EEC gets the trigger pulse from the hall effect sensor in the distributor, it will turn the relay back on.

Spark plugs, I am using Motorcraft plugs in Darth after previous issues with Autolite plugs (remember, they are now owned by Fram). When I had my shop, I stocked the OEM recommended plugs for each of the US brands, at that time Ford was changing from Autolite to Motorcraft, for GM I had AC, and Chrysler I had Champion. One item I have run into, Bosch platinum plugs and Ford engines do not play together well to the point of the same type of miss Gary has in BB right now.