Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Agreed. However, Firestone doesn't think so. ....

Having the air bag completely unrestrained under high pressure was one concern I thought of. You could make sure you never have them at high pressure when you are going somewhere you might flex Big Blue out. That may or may not be too limiting for your use. (My thought is the HEAVY loads will be on-road and even overlanding with a bunch of gear wouldn't require much pressure in the bags. But how you end up using it will be up to you.)

Missing the cradle obviously would be bad. But as you note, a lot of satisfied customers show that doesn't need to be an issue.

Another thought I had was about wear on the bags as they slide in and out of the cradles, especially if any sand or gravel gets in there. I think if I had that setup I'd want to lift the truck and let the axle droop out to inspect the bags every so often, especially after a 'wheeling trip.

Those are the thoughts I had after thinking about it a little more.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed. However, Firestone doesn't think so. ....

Having the air bag completely unrestrained under high pressure was one concern I thought of. You could make sure you never have them at high pressure when you are going somewhere you might flex Big Blue out. That may or may not be too limiting for your use. (My thought is the HEAVY loads will be on-road and even overlanding with a bunch of gear wouldn't require much pressure in the bags. But how you end up using it will be up to you.)

Missing the cradle obviously would be bad. But as you note, a lot of satisfied customers show that doesn't need to be an issue.

Another thought I had was about wear on the bags as they slide in and out of the cradles, especially if any sand or gravel gets in there. I think if I had that setup I'd want to lift the truck and let the axle droop out to inspect the bags every so often, especially after a 'wheeling trip.

Those are the thoughts I had after thinking about it a little more.

I can't imagine needing high pressure in the air bags when overlanding. My plan/hope is to set the springs up so that they take the load with very little pressure in the bags for those trips. But when towing my car-hauler trailer with a heavy vehicle on it I think higher pressures will be needed.

Cleaning the cradles of dirt, etc after 'wheeling is a good idea. They are sorta open on the bottom with a kind of grid, but I could see rocks getting in there that might not pass through.

If I remember correctly, the Firestone bags have a metal top and bottom plate, but the Air Lift bags don't. That might be a consideration as the metal bottom would might take the rocks better.

When I searched for info on the cradles I found that 4 Wheel Parts carries them. And, they carry both Firestone and Air Lift bags. I was in the Tulsa store a couple of days ago and talked with Cory Marshall, the manager, about freebies for the show. He said to call him back next week about them as he has something going on that might be a good fit. When I do I think I'll ask him what his opinion is of the cradles and which bag to go with. He'll tell me straight, and I'll bet he'll back me up if I buy from him and have a problem.

I can't imagine needing high pressure in the air bags when overlanding. My plan/hope is to set the springs up so that they take the load with very little pressure in the bags for those trips. But when towing my car-hauler trailer with a heavy vehicle on it I think higher pressures will be needed.

Cleaning the cradles of dirt, etc after 'wheeling is a good idea. They are sorta open on the bottom with a kind of grid, but I could see rocks getting in there that might not pass through.

If I remember correctly, the Firestone bags have a metal top and bottom plate, but the Air Lift bags don't. That might be a consideration as the metal bottom would might take the rocks better.

When I searched for info on the cradles I found that 4 Wheel Parts carries them. And, they carry both Firestone and Air Lift bags. I was in the Tulsa store a couple of days ago and talked with Cory Marshall, the manager, about freebies for the show. He said to call him back next week about them as he has something going on that might be a good fit. When I do I think I'll ask him what his opinion is of the cradles and which bag to go with. He'll tell me straight, and I'll bet he'll back me up if I buy from him and have a problem.

Time for an update. Been playing with the grandtwins so haven't gotten a lot done. But, some of the parts have been trickling in, including two of the caliper pistons, the brake pads, the hardware kit, the caliper seals, and the bleeder screws. And the rotors should be here in a day or two, with the last two pistons due next week.

But, I had a bit of time today so decided to media-blast the hubs so they could be powder coated. I just couldn't bear the thought of those new Warn Premium lockouts going on those rusty hubs. :nabble_smiley_cry:

First step was to press out the lugs so the rotors could be removed. Boy, there are a LOT of lugs on these as compared to an F150. :nabble_smiley_oh: Anyway, got those off easily with the press and put one hub in the blast cabinet. Here 'tis with its brother, with the one I blasted on the left: :nabble_anim_blbl:

One_Hub_Blasted.thumb.jpg.096fee22602275aa18085128f5606fad.jpg

And now they are being phosphated. Might as well give them as much protection as I can. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hubs_Phosphated.thumb.jpg.385a834dec2445d50ce563200af59eaa.jpg

Time for an update. Been playing with the grandtwins so haven't gotten a lot done. But, some of the parts have been trickling in, including two of the caliper pistons, the brake pads, the hardware kit, the caliper seals, and the bleeder screws. And the rotors should be here in a day or two, with the last two pistons due next week.

But, I had a bit of time today so decided to media-blast the hubs so they could be powder coated. I just couldn't bear the thought of those new Warn Premium lockouts going on those rusty hubs. :nabble_smiley_cry:

First step was to press out the lugs so the rotors could be removed. Boy, there are a LOT of lugs on these as compared to an F150. :nabble_smiley_oh: Anyway, got those off easily with the press and put one hub in the blast cabinet. Here 'tis with its brother, with the one I blasted on the left: :nabble_anim_blbl:

And now they are being phosphated. Might as well give them as much protection as I can. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, it IS! Even just a little bit of it feels so good.

I called the shop doing the D60 work and they have the gears, bearings, and seals. But the OX locker was supposed to arrive today. So it'll be a while before it is ready.

Which isn't a problem as I haven't started tearing the truck apart yet.

But, I'm still looking for upgrades, and found one today on Tim Meyer's site - his Track Boss Oil Filter Adapter. And Tim hopes to deliver it in September. :nabble_smiley_wink:

65313232_2359073177663633_2799209029241405440_o.thumb.jpg.89a3725eb144ad762e918d9c7445e34b.jpg

I called the shop doing the D60 work and they have the gears, bearings, and seals. But the OX locker was supposed to arrive today. So it'll be a while before it is ready.

But, I'm still looking for upgrades, and found one today on Tim Meyer's site - his Track Boss Oil Filter Adapter. And Tim hopes to deliver it in September. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Purty!

I don't understand what this is going to accomplish for you.

You have a 4x4 460 so you already need the factory block adapter to clear the dented cross member.

Once you have that there's barely room for an FL1A to clear the lower radiator hose and water pump inlet.

I don't even know that the nipple in the adapter is removable.

I don't understand what this is going to accomplish for you.

You have a 4x4 460 so you already need the factory block adapter to clear the dented cross member.

Once you have that there's barely room for an FL1A to clear the lower radiator hose and water pump inlet.

I don't even know that the nipple in the adapter is removable.

I forgot about the adapter! I think you are right. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I have the adapter on Huck's block so could pull it and see how it comes apart.

Well, at 5.21 x 3.6" the 51268R doesn't seem bigger that the standard filter.

The 1 1/8-16 thread might allow additional flow, but that adapts to the stock passage..... so?

But the 'R' is "racing only" according to Wix, since it doesn't have a drainback or bypass valve.

Maybe fine for a Trackboss but doesn't seem like an option for a vehicle you actually drive.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/PartDetails.aspx?Part=15054

Yes, but the adapter on Huck's block is the "grenade" one with the oil to water cooler. Huck and Big Blue should have a male/female bushing in the block that the hollow bolt from the adapter screws into.