Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I have the Motorcraft FC-920 cap and it's up to $16 now...

Jim - I ordered the ACDelco 12F1P Professional Fuel Tank Cap, which is $9.08 on Amazon. They have another ACDelco one for a bit less, but no expected delivery date. This one is to be here tomorrow.

Bill - Yep, as we've discussed the issue with the '86 necks and later tanks is the change in where the fuel goes and the size of the inner hose. Big Blue had exactly the opposite setup, and it didn't work well at all.

Jim - I ordered the ACDelco 12F1P Professional Fuel Tank Cap, which is $9.08 on Amazon. They have another ACDelco one for a bit less, but no expected delivery date. This one is to be here tomorrow.

Bill - Yep, as we've discussed the issue with the '86 necks and later tanks is the change in where the fuel goes and the size of the inner hose. Big Blue had exactly the opposite setup, and it didn't work well at all.

Just wanted to add valid sourcing, pricing and a part number that I know for certain fits.

After reading George's latest post, I think "confirmed" parts are a good thing.

Whatever's best for you! :nabble_smiley_cool:

I forgot that most AFBs have a front PCV nipple, too used to either Holleys or Autolites with spacers where in connects.

This one actually has a port tapped in the back, but it would interfere with the throttle bracket I made. So I'll go with the one in the front.

As for the fresh air intake, I ordered a 5/8" 90 degree barb and I'll cobble together a hose from the air cleaner to the nipple on the valve cover.

Just wanted to add valid sourcing, pricing and a part number that I know for certain fits.

After reading George's latest post, I think "confirmed" parts are a good thing.

Whatever's best for you! :nabble_smiley_cool:

Yep, confirmed parts are good parts! And if I were ordering from RA I'd be concerned. But I ordered the filler neck from Amazon, so if it doesn't fit when they say it will they'll make it right.

Yep, confirmed parts are good parts! And if I were ordering from RA I'd be concerned. But I ordered the filler neck from Amazon, so if it doesn't fit when they say it will they'll make it right.

Got the PCV valve in today so finished the plumbing on that side of the PCV system.

And now I've turned to getting the appropriate fluids. The first was to take inventory of what I have, which includes Amsoil Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. As explained in the Fluid Capacities thread, Amsoil's tech said not to use that in a t-case nor a power steering system. Instead to use their ATLQT Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

You can order from their site, which actually takes you to Alcantar Drivetrain Performance LLC, and they want $15.50/qt for the stuff with free shipping. Amazon wants $27.33 for it, so I thought about it for a ms and ordered it from Alcantar. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Next up was the power steering/hydroboost system. Amsoil said not to use the stuff I have in the factory system for BB but the line dropped before I got an answer on what to use in a '95 E350 w/hydroboost. So I turned to our documentation on hydroboost conversions from Hydratech. They say to use Royal Purple Max EZ synthetic PS fluid.

Well, since I want to talk to Royal Purple to ensure they still recommend that I use Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid in the ZF5 I called them. Tech support isn't available, so I left a message. We shall see what they say.

But does anyone have an idea how much fluid the power steering/hydroboost system takes?

Also, I'm thinking I should pull the belt that spins the power steering pump when I start up the engine for cam break-in. I just don't want to chance that there's a leak in the power steering system. Thoughts?

Got the PCV valve in today so finished the plumbing on that side of the PCV system.

And now I've turned to getting the appropriate fluids. The first was to take inventory of what I have, which includes Amsoil Multi-Vehicle Synthetic ATF. As explained in the Fluid Capacities thread, Amsoil's tech said not to use that in a t-case nor a power steering system. Instead to use their ATLQT Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

You can order from their site, which actually takes you to Alcantar Drivetrain Performance LLC, and they want $15.50/qt for the stuff with free shipping. Amazon wants $27.33 for it, so I thought about it for a ms and ordered it from Alcantar. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Next up was the power steering/hydroboost system. Amsoil said not to use the stuff I have in the factory system for BB but the line dropped before I got an answer on what to use in a '95 E350 w/hydroboost. So I turned to our documentation on hydroboost conversions from Hydratech. They say to use Royal Purple Max EZ synthetic PS fluid.

Well, since I want to talk to Royal Purple to ensure they still recommend that I use Synchromax Manual Transmission Fluid in the ZF5 I called them. Tech support isn't available, so I left a message. We shall see what they say.

But does anyone have an idea how much fluid the power steering/hydroboost system takes?

Also, I'm thinking I should pull the belt that spins the power steering pump when I start up the engine for cam break-in. I just don't want to chance that there's a leak in the power steering system. Thoughts?

Got a bit more done. Added a vent to the D60 and filled it with Mobil 1 75w90LS. It seems to have taken almost 4 quarts.

Then I added three gallons of ShellZone Extended Life Coolant. But, I hadn't looked at the manual and it says this beast takes 18 quarts/4.5 gallons. Guess I need another trip to see DeWayne. :nabble_smiley_oh:

And, as explained on the Fluid Capacities thread, I talked with Cody at Royal Purple. The bottom line is that Synchromax is the right stuff for the ZF, but it'll also work fine in the Sag/hydroboost system. However, their Max EZ is "slightly" better for the power steering system.

Amazon wants to sell at least 6 bottles of Max EZ, but Cody thinks I might need 3 to 4 - at Max. :nabble_smiley_evil: Instead, I'm thinking I'll go with 4 bottles of Synchromax which, coupled with the 3/4 of a bottle I have left, should be plenty as the ZF takes 3.4 quarts and that would leave me with 1.3 quarts for the steering.

Gary, on the PS/AC belt, yes remove it, water pump and alternator should be all you need. I would "burp" the system by taking one heater hose loose and with the cap on, top off the system through it until water comes out of the heater core nipple. This should prevent any problems with entrapped air during the cam break in.

Gary, on the PS/AC belt, yes remove it, water pump and alternator should be all you need. I would "burp" the system by taking one heater hose loose and with the cap on, top off the system through it until water comes out of the heater core nipple. This should prevent any problems with entrapped air during the cam break in.

Thanks, Bill. I'll do that on the cooling system. Good idea. But I might do it slightly differently. I put a shutoff valve in one of the hoses, so I could break the line there and have the two ends above the level of the heater core. Fill things up and put them together. :nabble_smiley_good:

And thanks for the confirmation on removing the belt on the power steering system. It just seems like the prudent thing to do. Obviously I won't be going anywhere until I get it back on and the air out of the system, but I can move the truck in and out of the shop w/o the boost.

Thanks, Bill. I'll do that on the cooling system. Good idea. But I might do it slightly differently. I put a shutoff valve in one of the hoses, so I could break the line there and have the two ends above the level of the heater core. Fill things up and put them together. :nabble_smiley_good:

And thanks for the confirmation on removing the belt on the power steering system. It just seems like the prudent thing to do. Obviously I won't be going anywhere until I get it back on and the air out of the system, but I can move the truck in and out of the shop w/o the boost.

But will you have any brakes?