Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ok, my bad. But with a carb I can't use that hose. Yet. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ran two tests this morning. Added 5 gallons of gas to the rear tank and checked gauge readings. Both tanks should have had ~5 gallons in them and battery voltage was finally at ~12.8:

• Front showed 1/2 tank

• Rear showed 1/4 tank

Then, with tank switch in the Rear position I jumpered across the oil pressure switch and watched the pressure come up on the gauge to ~ 4 1/2 psi - and then heard some liquid hitting the floor. Turned out that the same idiot that left the ignition on for two days also left the return line off of the front tank. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, after opening the door to get the smell down a bit and wiping up the floor, he put the connector back on. And this time when firing up the pump there were no leaks and the pressure stabilized at 5 psi. So it appears that the rear FDM works correctly.

Now, he's off to do other things, like scan something.

Ran two tests this morning. Added 5 gallons of gas to the rear tank and checked gauge readings. Both tanks should have had ~5 gallons in them and battery voltage was finally at ~12.8:

• Front showed 1/2 tank

• Rear showed 1/4 tank

Then, with tank switch in the Rear position I jumpered across the oil pressure switch and watched the pressure come up on the gauge to ~ 4 1/2 psi - and then heard some liquid hitting the floor. Turned out that the same idiot that left the ignition on for two days also left the return line off of the front tank. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So, after opening the door to get the smell down a bit and wiping up the floor, he put the connector back on. And this time when firing up the pump there were no leaks and the pressure stabilized at 5 psi. So it appears that the rear FDM works correctly.

Now, he's off to do other things, like scan something.

Great! :nabble_anim_jump:

You're getting closer by the day, Gary. :nabble_smiley_good:

Your tireless work ethic never fails to astound me.

But I suppose if you're following your passion it makes things a lot easier.

Great! :nabble_anim_jump:

You're getting closer by the day, Gary. :nabble_smiley_good:

Your tireless work ethic never fails to astound me.

But I suppose if you're following your passion it makes things a lot easier.

Thanks, Jim. But, to tell the truth I'm on the fringe of being burned out. I see so many people posting pics of where they've gone or what they've done with their vehicles and here I am over a year into a make-over and still not done.

Janey and I were talking about that yesterday and she said "I can see why Vernon's wife voted to bail." I, too, really understand why he pulled the plug. He'd invested tons into the truck and it was far from what I'd have wanted to tour the country in.

But I can't stop now. The end is in sight, although I know there are more gotcha's ahead. Way too many things have been completely apart & reassembled, and way too many new parts installed for there not to be glitches.

So I'm not sure it is a "tireless work ethic" as much as "I have to get this thing done so I can stop and enjoy it!" :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

Thanks, Jim. But, to tell the truth I'm on the fringe of being burned out. I see so many people posting pics of where they've gone or what they've done with their vehicles and here I am over a year into a make-over and still not done.

Janey and I were talking about that yesterday and she said "I can see why Vernon's wife voted to bail." I, too, really understand why he pulled the plug. He'd invested tons into the truck and it was far from what I'd have wanted to tour the country in.

But I can't stop now. The end is in sight, although I know there are more gotcha's ahead. Way too many things have been completely apart & reassembled, and way too many new parts installed for there not to be glitches.

So I'm not sure it is a "tireless work ethic" as much as "I have to get this thing done so I can stop and enjoy it!" :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

Vernon invested tons in the pockets of :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: who screwed him at every turn.

Your two steps forward, one step back, is progress... And progress is GOOD! :nabble_smiley_good:

But you tend to over think things and make work for yourself, sometimes 'just for pretty' as they say in the machine shop.

-that's not a criticism, just an observation-

I've said before "this isn't your dad's truck" but you keep beadblasting and powdercoating every nut, bolt and washer....

Yet this truck is supposed to be dragged through mud and brush, over rocks and such.

I get it..

And I get where you've said "but I enjoy the tinkering part"

Here it is a year later and it's (literally) time to hit the trail....

Big Blue is a monument to your resourcefulness and perseverance, but it's not on the road.

You need that vacation as much as the truck needs out of the stall to stretch it's legs.

Vernon invested tons in the pockets of :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: who screwed him at every turn.

Your two steps forward, one step back, is progress... And progress is GOOD! :nabble_smiley_good:

But you tend to over think things and make work for yourself, sometimes 'just for pretty' as they say in the machine shop.

I've said before "this isn't your dad's truck" but you keep beadblasting and powdercoating every nut, bolt and washer....

Yet this truck is supposed to be dragged through mud and brush, over rocks and such.

I get it..

Big Blue is a monument to your resourcefulness and perseverance, but it's not on the road.

You need that vacation as much as the truck needs out of the stall to stretch it's legs.

Plus by taking the time to address the frequent failure items now you are more likely to enjoy it uninterrupted in the future

I get it..

All of the above is true. Inc your statement, Scott. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the vacation, we are going SOMEWHERE in late Sept/early Oct. But we aren't sure where yet. We just need to get away.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming. Just got a note from Herko Automotive via Amazon, and the new front FDM has shipped. That's amazing as the lady said yesterday that they, Herko, would contact me in a day or two. So this is great service.

And speaking of Amazon, the new PCV valve and fuel tank cap are due in tomorrow. That will let me finalize the PCV plumbing as I got the needed 3/8" 90 degree hose barb today. And the cap will let me seal up the tank to some extent - I didn't know that later trucks used a different cap.

And Scott's question about fusing reminded me - I don't have a schematic showing the new PDB wiring other than on the screen. So I printed one at 600 dpi and laminated it. I need to decide where and how to put that. I say that 'cause there's nothing in the PDB that tells what relay or fuse is what, and if I blow something it would sure be nice to know what is what.

I'm trying to come up with a way to make it small enough to actually put in the PDB. But I need some suggestions. The PDB measures 4 1/2" x 6 1/2", so it needs to be no bigger than that. And the laminate sheet measures 9" x 11 1/2". At first blush it looks like folding that laminated sheet in quarters would work, but it is just a smidge too big.

I think I'll print it a bit smaller, laminate that, trim the laminated sheet, and see if that fits. But, if you have suggestions I'd appreciate it. Here's what it looks like:

PCB_Wiring_-_600_dpi_-_But_Smaller.thumb.jpg.c44cadc6b6f25e627da65b1554957171.jpg

All of the above is true. Inc your statement, Scott. :nabble_smiley_good:

On the vacation, we are going SOMEWHERE in late Sept/early Oct. But we aren't sure where yet. We just need to get away.

Now, back to our regularly-scheduled programming. Just got a note from Herko Automotive via Amazon, and the new front FDM has shipped. That's amazing as the lady said yesterday that they, Herko, would contact me in a day or two. So this is great service.

And speaking of Amazon, the new PCV valve and fuel tank cap are due in tomorrow. That will let me finalize the PCV plumbing as I got the needed 3/8" 90 degree hose barb today. And the cap will let me seal up the tank to some extent - I didn't know that later trucks used a different cap.

And Scott's question about fusing reminded me - I don't have a schematic showing the new PDB wiring other than on the screen. So I printed one at 600 dpi and laminated it. I need to decide where and how to put that. I say that 'cause there's nothing in the PDB that tells what relay or fuse is what, and if I blow something it would sure be nice to know what is what.

I'm trying to come up with a way to make it small enough to actually put in the PDB. But I need some suggestions. The PDB measures 4 1/2" x 6 1/2", so it needs to be no bigger than that. And the laminate sheet measures 9" x 11 1/2". At first blush it looks like folding that laminated sheet in quarters would work, but it is just a smidge too big.

I think I'll print it a bit smaller, laminate that, trim the laminated sheet, and see if that fits. But, if you have suggestions I'd appreciate it. Here's what it looks like:

Having it in the lid of the pdb would be nice but if cutting it down doesn't work or makes it hard to read, having it in the glove box wouldn't be terrible.

I wouldn't have guessed the laminated sheet would fold very well.

I'd probably just leave it full size, unlaminated, and fold it up in the glove box in an envelope.

Having it in the lid of the pdb would be nice but if cutting it down doesn't work or makes it hard to read, having it in the glove box wouldn't be terrible.

I wouldn't have guessed the laminated sheet would fold very well.

I'd probably just leave it full size, unlaminated, and fold it up in the glove box in an envelope.

I think the PDB is bigger than the glove box. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Actually, it is close. I printed it at 7.6 x 9" instead of 8 x 10", which I'd done originally, and that made it just small enough that when I trimmed and folded it I was easily able to get it in the PDB. But, the 8 x 10 version just fits on the right/big side of the glove box. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's a shot of what the thing looks like after folding:

Schematic_After_Folding.thumb.jpg.965a33ae54623f95e7384dab1ccbde39.jpg

And here's how it fits in the PDB. Note that the folded side is on the left, as that's where the catch is and that makes it shut evenly. But I'm guessing that after time the plastic will give a bit and it'll lay flatter.

Schematic_Folded__Laying_In_PDB.thumb.jpg.f2331ba5f716e0d02db2271a86b3dcdc.jpg

I think the PDB is bigger than the glove box. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Actually, it is close. I printed it at 7.6 x 9" instead of 8 x 10", which I'd done originally, and that made it just small enough that when I trimmed and folded it I was easily able to get it in the PDB. But, the 8 x 10 version just fits on the right/big side of the glove box. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's a shot of what the thing looks like after folding:

And here's how it fits in the PDB. Note that the folded side is on the left, as that's where the catch is and that makes it shut evenly. But I'm guessing that after time the plastic will give a bit and it'll lay flatter.

Looks like a winner to me :nabble_smiley_good:

I think they truly meant glove as singular for these trucks.