Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm just getting the little "picture" symbol, but perhaps it will open for me later.

Seems the GOAT is Memory Lane.

Yes, GOAT is Memory Lane. Big Blue would remember it quite well since he's been there several times already. But having perused the whole 458 miles, I'm not sure it is what we are looking for. I see several places where they jump on the blacktop when they could have stayed on gravel roads.

I think we'll keep that in mind, but might consider farther south where it is more rugged. We shall see. But I have to get the truck on the road first!

Yes, GOAT is Memory Lane. Big Blue would remember it quite well since he's been there several times already. But having perused the whole 458 miles, I'm not sure it is what we are looking for. I see several places where they jump on the blacktop when they could have stayed on gravel roads.

I think we'll keep that in mind, but might consider farther south where it is more rugged. We shall see. But I have to get the truck on the road first!

Had an interesting trip to town to get three 3/8" NPT to 3/8" right angle hose barbs, 6' of 3/8" EFI hose, and at least six EFI hose clamps.

Went to the hardware store and they only had two of the hose barbs. So I had to go with a 1/4" NPT to 3/8" right angle barb and a 3/8" to 1/4" bushing. That took far longer than it should have, and was a harbinger of things to come.

Then I went to my favorite parts store, an independent, where our guy DeWayne works. I told him I needed the hose and clamps and he said he didn't have the clamps, but went back to get the hose - and came out with 1', which was all he had. So I went on to the NAPA store, but they didn't have the clamps either, but did have the hose. John told me that O'Reilly's has the clamps and asked if I wanted the hose. You bet! Last time I was in O'Reilly's for EFI hose they tried to sell me the low pressure stuff. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So I ventured over to O'Reilly's and drew one of the managers - a kid. I asked for EFI hose clamps and he came back with the standard worm gear hose clamps. Sorry, those aren't for EFI. Really? What's an EFI clamp look like? So I pulled one up on my phone. Oh! We have those. And he came out with all they had - six.

Back at the shop I created the bracket for the fuel pressure regulator, put the regulator on the bracket and added the hose barbs, and then installed it on the truck. Then I put the fittings on the ends of the hose and clipped them into the fuel lines down below so I'd know where to cut the hose to connect to the FPR. Here you can see the FPR and the hose laying around.

Fuel_Pressure_Regulator_is_ON.thumb.jpg.c3ef2d3e0500d627dac1ca7765d53e45.jpg

However, when you then look at the fuel lines from below you quickly see what I expected - the lines hit the cab's pinch weld, as I was afraid it would.

Fuel_Lines_Hit_Cab_Seam.thumb.jpg.39e1bb0e5ea98121341f6533cd5e9abf.jpg

Obviously that's not going to work, so I made this hose stay. It'll go under the head of the top left transmission/engine bolt and, hopefully, hold the hoses down below the pinch weld and then turn them up to head to the FPR - hopefully neatly missing the oil pressure switch.

Fuel_Line_Stay.thumb.jpg.19e67bba48ba8c80e6dfbc4db269755c.jpg

Had an interesting trip to town to get three 3/8" NPT to 3/8" right angle hose barbs, 6' of 3/8" EFI hose, and at least six EFI hose clamps.

Went to the hardware store and they only had two of the hose barbs. So I had to go with a 1/4" NPT to 3/8" right angle barb and a 3/8" to 1/4" bushing. That took far longer than it should have, and was a harbinger of things to come.

Then I went to my favorite parts store, an independent, where our guy DeWayne works. I told him I needed the hose and clamps and he said he didn't have the clamps, but went back to get the hose - and came out with 1', which was all he had. So I went on to the NAPA store, but they didn't have the clamps either, but did have the hose. John told me that O'Reilly's has the clamps and asked if I wanted the hose. You bet! Last time I was in O'Reilly's for EFI hose they tried to sell me the low pressure stuff. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So I ventured over to O'Reilly's and drew one of the managers - a kid. I asked for EFI hose clamps and he came back with the standard worm gear hose clamps. Sorry, those aren't for EFI. Really? What's an EFI clamp look like? So I pulled one up on my phone. Oh! We have those. And he came out with all they had - six.

Back at the shop I created the bracket for the fuel pressure regulator, put the regulator on the bracket and added the hose barbs, and then installed it on the truck. Then I put the fittings on the ends of the hose and clipped them into the fuel lines down below so I'd know where to cut the hose to connect to the FPR. Here you can see the FPR and the hose laying around.

However, when you then look at the fuel lines from below you quickly see what I expected - the lines hit the cab's pinch weld, as I was afraid it would.

Obviously that's not going to work, so I made this hose stay. It'll go under the head of the top left transmission/engine bolt and, hopefully, hold the hoses down below the pinch weld and then turn them up to head to the FPR - hopefully neatly missing the oil pressure switch.

Getting close now Gary!:nabble_smiley_good:

Getting close now Gary!:nabble_smiley_good:

Yes, Rob, I am!

I'm hoping to install the fuel line stay tomorrow, which will let me connect the hoses, and then install the carb. With that installed I'll re-connect the batteries and find out where the fuel gauges read with empty tanks. (They are the later senders, which have a completely different resistance range.) Then I want to add 5 gallons to each tank and record where the gauges read.

After that I want to bypass the oil pressure switch and bring the pumps on to check the fuel system for leaks, set the pressure on the regulator, etc.

Then I just need coolant and lots of lubricants and I can fire it. :nabble_anim_jump:

Now I see why Ford changed the lines. I had the 1990 set, but pulled one of your tricks, I couldn't find them when I was ready to install them. My friend in NEPA had sent me the extra parts from his plow truck project so I had the 1994 stuff to use, Interesting that Darth's frame had the holes for the later parts that are from an 8 year newer truck.

Yes, Rob, I am!

I'm hoping to install the fuel line stay tomorrow, which will let me connect the hoses, and then install the carb. With that installed I'll re-connect the batteries and find out where the fuel gauges read with empty tanks. (They are the later senders, which have a completely different resistance range.) Then I want to add 5 gallons to each tank and record where the gauges read.

After that I want to bypass the oil pressure switch and bring the pumps on to check the fuel system for leaks, set the pressure on the regulator, etc.

Then I just need coolant and lots of lubricants and I can fire it. :nabble_anim_jump:

I surely hope once you get BB roadworthy you drag him by the muffler shop before your 458(?) mile journey.

*Janey doesn't need to go deaf listening to the droning of those Cherry Bombs dumping where they do.

*Arrrgh! 😡

I surely hope once you get BB roadworthy you drag him by the muffler shop before your 458(?) mile journey.

*Janey doesn't need to go deaf listening to the droning of those Cherry Bombs dumping where they do.

*Arrrgh! 😡

Jim - Trust me, the muffler shop is absolutely on the to-do list before we go.

Bill - I'm sure there are better ways to run the lines, but this one is going to work. It hasn't been easy, but I think it is good.

Jim - Trust me, the muffler shop is absolutely on the to-do list before we go.

Bill - I'm sure there are better ways to run the lines, but this one is going to work. It hasn't been easy, but I think it is good.

I imagine those stainless tubes Bill pictured are the "better way" to run those lines?

I don't doubt, but you're going to have to put some pressure on those rings to get them seated! :nabble_smiley_wink::nabble_smiley_wink::nabble_smiley_wink:

I imagine those stainless tubes Bill pictured are the "better way" to run those lines?

I don't doubt, but you're going to have to put some pressure on those rings to get them seated! :nabble_smiley_wink::nabble_smiley_wink::nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, I would assume that the stainless lines are the better way. I think my way is going to work fine, but I've realized that there's probably a better way as I have three transitions where there's flex: frame to engine at the new stay; engine to cab at the fuel pressure regulator; and fuel pressure regulator to engine at the carb. But had I put the FPR on the intake manifold I'd only have had one. :nabble_smiley_sad:

And yes, I will have to put some pressure on those rings to seat them. And I can't wait to do it! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Interesting that Darth's frame had the holes for the later parts that are from an 8 year newer truck.

Bill, Ford did seem to plan ahead... my son's 1984 F150 with 4.9L engine [all original] has the valve cover with the lower area in the middle for the F.I. intake plenum, which did not "arrive" until 1987. The valve cover on my 1986 4.9L was the same.