Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

And which version is burned into your mind, Jim? The one with the relay or the tank switching valve? (You did see the difference?)

The one with the valve.

Actually both versions of the original hot fuel handling system.

There's always been an oil pressure cutoff relay, but one switches senders at the switch and one switches senders at the valve.

One has a selector relay and the other simply provides power to the valve solenoid that switches everything.

Your modified schematic does things the Gary way, and differs from both.

Because you need to be unique, as much as I need to be contrarian. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

The one with the valve.

Actually both versions of the original hot fuel handling system.

There's always been an oil pressure cutoff relay, but one switches senders at the switch and one switches senders at the valve.

One has a selector relay and the other simply provides power to the valve solenoid that switches everything.

Your modified schematic does things the Gary way, and differs from both.

Because you need to be unique, as much as I need to be contrarian. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Yes, I want to do it my way. And in this case my way is the easy way. Bill had a good point about simplification, but that would have required me to bring the sending unit wires up into the cab. And then swap the fuel tank switch and associated connector, with the assumption that the existing wires would go into the other connectors.

But the plug in that picture has exactly the circuits needed: power, ground, the gauge feed, and the output of both sending units. And nothing else. So it just jumped out to me that a relay there would do the trick.

I'm really pushing to have this truck on the road come show time. Janey is going stir crazy and we are going SOMEWHERE, and I'd like to at least have an opportunity to do it in Big Blue.

Yes, I want to do it my way. And in this case my way is the easy way. Bill had a good point about simplification, but that would have required me to bring the sending unit wires up into the cab. And then swap the fuel tank switch and associated connector, with the assumption that the existing wires would go into the other connectors.

But the plug in that picture has exactly the circuits needed: power, ground, the gauge feed, and the output of both sending units. And nothing else. So it just jumped out to me that a relay there would do the trick.

I'm really pushing to have this truck on the road come show time. Janey is going stir crazy and we are going SOMEWHERE, and I'd like to at least have an opportunity to do it in Big Blue.

Happy wife, happy life! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I hope the two of you are already working on an itinerary.

And get out to see some of the amazing things this nation has to offer.

Happy wife, happy life! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I hope the two of you are already working on an itinerary.

And get out to see some of the amazing things this nation has to offer.

She's looking at SE OK/western AR as I type.

And I have a FB friend, Susan Dragoo who writes for places like Overland Journal. She and her husband have driven many scenic roads down there, so I've asked her were to go.

Gotta GO! (And have to quit typing so I can get this thing ready to GO!!)

She's looking at SE OK/western AR as I type.

And I have a FB friend, Susan Dragoo who writes for places like Overland Journal. She and her husband have driven many scenic roads down there, so I've asked her were to go.

Gotta GO! (And have to quit typing so I can get this thing ready to GO!!)

Danielle, the 'New Chick' is just a couple of miles from Texarkana.

Her dad seems like the sort of character I'd want to meet if I had a chance.

She seems pretty interesting too, with her travel and writing experience.

Maybe she can tip you off to where that moonshiners cave is? (Though I wouldn't want that knowledge on the internet)

Danielle, the 'New Chick' is just a couple of miles from Texarkana.

Her dad seems like the sort of character I'd want to meet if I had a chance.

She seems pretty interesting too, with her travel and writing experience.

Maybe she can tip you off to where that moonshiners cave is? (Though I wouldn't want that knowledge on the internet)

Jim - That's an idea!

As for what I did today, the hose clamps came in so I installed one of them on the fuel filter & bracket. And the length is just right as there's maybe 1/2" of excess sticking out.

Fuel_Filers_Hose_Clamp_Is_ON.thumb.jpg.5d9b056d93360c727cb5dbd7fa8daac5.jpg

Then I got the fuel sender relay installed. Here 'tis w/o the cover on it, although it is on there now:

Relay_Box_Is_Done.thumb.jpg.0029f5ea901a31910f041eb55990b65e.jpg

With that done I installed the skid plate on the mid-ship tank:

Mid-Ship_Fuel_Tank_Skid_Plate_Is_ON.thumb.jpg.f3d5e02fc648ecf7577b9e566ffb89e2.jpg

After that I removed the resistance wire in the power feed to the fuel pumps. So instead of a pink/black wire running to the fuel pump relay I have a red/yellow wire as I didn't find a good source of the right size pink/black wire in my stash. Then I got the convolute, tape, and zip ties back on the harness and re-installed the speed control, which I'd taken off to get access to the wiring.

Last, I checked out the mounting options for the fuel pressure regulator. I'm thinking an aluminum bracket attached to the bolt coming through the firewall will work nicely. And the regulator will be oriented as shown, with the inlet and return pointing up and down and the outlet in the middle. I'll use 90's on each of them, which lines things up nicely. Maybe I'll get to do that tomorrow. Or, we may go to the lake. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Potential_Fuel_Pressure_Regulator_Position.thumb.jpg.5a63e2880cdd5d8a5e586e0edf078071.jpg

Jim - That's an idea!

As for what I did today, the hose clamps came in so I installed one of them on the fuel filter & bracket. And the length is just right as there's maybe 1/2" of excess sticking out.

Then I got the fuel sender relay installed. Here 'tis w/o the cover on it, although it is on there now:

With that done I installed the skid plate on the mid-ship tank:

After that I removed the resistance wire in the power feed to the fuel pumps. So instead of a pink/black wire running to the fuel pump relay I have a red/yellow wire as I didn't find a good source of the right size pink/black wire in my stash. Then I got the convolute, tape, and zip ties back on the harness and re-installed the speed control, which I'd taken off to get access to the wiring.

Last, I checked out the mounting options for the fuel pressure regulator. I'm thinking an aluminum bracket attached to the bolt coming through the firewall will work nicely. And the regulator will be oriented as shown, with the inlet and return pointing up and down and the outlet in the middle. I'll use 90's on each of them, which lines things up nicely. Maybe I'll get to do that tomorrow. Or, we may go to the lake. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Things are coming together nicely!

And, of course...

Progress is GOOD! :nabble_smiley_good:

I wonder if Danielle could point out some other unique spots from her travelogue.

It seems you both are walking the same path.

I'll have to make some post in my cab upgrade thread.

Today's up and downs.

Things are coming together nicely!

And, of course...

Progress is GOOD! :nabble_smiley_good:

I wonder if Danielle could point out some other unique spots from her travelogue.

It seems you both are walking the same path.

I'll have to make some post in my cab upgrade thread.

Today's up and downs.

Yes, Jim, progress is GOOD! If we don't go to the lake tomorrow I might get the fuel system done and be able to test it. "All" I have to do is to mount the regulator, put together the hoses and fittings, add the carb, and run the line to the carb.

But, I've been thinking I might want a stay with the rubber hose clamps on it to hold hoses in place, similar to the bracket for the EFI pigtails. And that will take a bit longer.

As for where to go, my FB friend that writes for a number of overlanding magazines suggested the GOAT: Green country Oklahoma Adventure Trail. We've been looking at it and the more we look at it the more we like it.

Why? Because we've already been on some of those roads. For instance, here's a snippet of the section of the GOAT, shown in green, just south of Grove, OK. But I've added a few hand-drawn things:

• Blue: Where Janey was living when we got married in 1969

• Red: That's Butler Baptist Church, and we were married there

• Fuchia: We stashed my folk's boat there and after the wedding took it over to Shangri La for our honeymoon.

• Black: Where Janey's folks moved a few years later.

• Green: Where her parents are buried

• Purple: Where Big Blue brought out a 1950 & a 1960 Chevy pickup and a '65 Malibu 396

Those roads are in far better shape now than in 1969. In fact, the road past the church and where she lived is paved now. We were there in May to decorate the graves and were driving Blue. But it'll be fun with Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_wink:

GOAT_Map_Of_Butler.thumb.jpg.501aab81b609511f1634a1281cc7fb80.jpg

Yes, Jim, progress is GOOD! If we don't go to the lake tomorrow I might get the fuel system done and be able to test it. "All" I have to do is to mount the regulator, put together the hoses and fittings, add the carb, and run the line to the carb.

But, I've been thinking I might want a stay with the rubber hose clamps on it to hold hoses in place, similar to the bracket for the EFI pigtails. And that will take a bit longer.

As for where to go, my FB friend that writes for a number of overlanding magazines suggested the GOAT: Green country Oklahoma Adventure Trail. We've been looking at it and the more we look at it the more we like it.

Why? Because we've already been on some of those roads. For instance, here's a snippet of the section of the GOAT, shown in green, just south of Grove, OK. But I've added a few hand-drawn things:

• Blue: Where Janey was living when we got married in 1969

• Red: That's Butler Baptist Church, and we were married there

• Fuchia: We stashed my folk's boat there and after the wedding took it over to Shangri La for our honeymoon.

• Black: Where Janey's folks moved a few years later.

• Green: Where her parents are buried

• Purple: Where Big Blue brought out a 1950 & a 1960 Chevy pickup and a '65 Malibu 396

Those roads are in far better shape now than in 1969. In fact, the road past the church and where she lived is paved now. We were there in May to decorate the graves and were driving Blue. But it'll be fun with Big Blue. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm just getting the little "picture" symbol, but perhaps it will open for me later.

Seems the GOAT is Memory Lane.