Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

So you couldnt have made up the plastic line attached them to the tank and then route them forward?

Thats how I did them on the LT swap I did few years back I attached the plastic push lock fuel line to the fuel tank first then routed them up front then made them once I got to the engine where they needed to go.

Rusty - Here's a pic to explain the problem better. The distance between the tank and the frame's bottom flange is 2". And the distance between the two white retainers is 7 1/2". So adding the runs to/from the tank to the wyes with the tank in place would just not have been possible. I can just barely get my hand up there, and both of them are scratched up from doing so with the way I chose to do it.

Wyes_In_Frame_Beside_Tank.thumb.jpg.757fb7e541b5de69373477f1d9c142ad.jpg

Anyway, what I'm doing now is to make a spot for the relay box and for the fuel filter. There are two spots big enough, and the one behind the t-case gets the relay box 'cause it is right where the switching valve was. And the one just in front of the t-case gets the filter.

Pics later.......

Rusty - Here's a pic to explain the problem better. The distance between the tank and the frame's bottom flange is 2". And the distance between the two white retainers is 7 1/2". So adding the runs to/from the tank to the wyes with the tank in place would just not have been possible. I can just barely get my hand up there, and both of them are scratched up from doing so with the way I chose to do it.

Anyway, what I'm doing now is to make a spot for the relay box and for the fuel filter. There are two spots big enough, and the one behind the t-case gets the relay box 'cause it is right where the switching valve was. And the one just in front of the t-case gets the filter.

Pics later.......

Oops - I forgot that the next step was to put the fuel filler tube & hose on the front tank. No fun, but better than the rear tank.

However, part of the problem was in getting the brand new Sepctra Premium FNH122 hose to fit the brand new Spectra Premium tank. Working blind, I knew it wasn't going on as it went on way too easily. Like, it fell on.

So I pulled it and tested it on the fuel filler pipe:

FNH122_Fit.thumb.jpg.9640ff1d1b188f9dfb3355ddc680dd37.jpg

Yep, way too big. As best I can measure it is 2" instead 1 7/8". And, that's the right part number according to both the Spectra site and Amazon. :nabble_anim_confused:

Luckily I had the old hose, and it is in really good shape. It is on and the new one is going back. And I'll review it on the Amazon site.

Oops - I forgot that the next step was to put the fuel filler tube & hose on the front tank. No fun, but better than the rear tank.

However, part of the problem was in getting the brand new Sepctra Premium FNH122 hose to fit the brand new Spectra Premium tank. Working blind, I knew it wasn't going on as it went on way too easily. Like, it fell on.

So I pulled it and tested it on the fuel filler pipe:

Yep, way too big. As best I can measure it is 2" instead 1 7/8". And, that's the right part number according to both the Spectra site and Amazon. :nabble_anim_confused:

Luckily I had the old hose, and it is in really good shape. It is on and the new one is going back. And I'll review it on the Amazon site.

And, I got a bit more done this afternoon. First, I mocked up the relay project box and put it where I think it should go. That let me route the fuel lines and trial-position the filter, more of which later. But here's where the box will go, and you can see the wires that will go into it:

Relay_Box_Mockup.thumb.jpg.4a9264a513390c6683a31056b8332cd0.jpg

Then I made a fuel filter bracket. I'm not going to powder coat it, but will leave it natural aluminum. However, with the hose on it there should be no contact 'tween it and the filter. But it'll be attached to the frame. Oh well.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to drill the holes to mount it, which will let me determine where to put the connectors and do that step. Then I can mount it and start working on the lines to go up the back of the engine.

In the interim I'm looking for a stainless hose clamp that is at least 10" long. But I'll use the big zip tie until it comes in.

Fuel_Filter_Bracket_2.thumb.jpg.f118fc3aa5f7bf442f0043fc0a892f91.jpg

And, I got a bit more done this afternoon. First, I mocked up the relay project box and put it where I think it should go. That let me route the fuel lines and trial-position the filter, more of which later. But here's where the box will go, and you can see the wires that will go into it:

Then I made a fuel filter bracket. I'm not going to powder coat it, but will leave it natural aluminum. However, with the hose on it there should be no contact 'tween it and the filter. But it'll be attached to the frame. Oh well.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get to drill the holes to mount it, which will let me determine where to put the connectors and do that step. Then I can mount it and start working on the lines to go up the back of the engine.

In the interim I'm looking for a stainless hose clamp that is at least 10" long. But I'll use the big zip tie until it comes in.

3 1/2" diameter hose clamps are no big deal...

Heck, if you want a REALLY big stainless hose clamp go to a pool supply like Leslie's.

I'm sure they have ones 12" or more in diameter.

I used to use one to hold the heatshield on my muffler.

3 1/2" diameter hose clamps are no big deal...

Heck, if you want a REALLY big stainless hose clamp go to a pool supply like Leslie's.

I'm sure they have ones 12" or more in diameter.

I used to use one to hold the heatshield on my muffler.

Got these on order: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLN2CKF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They may be just a tad too big as they only go down to 3 1/2" and my math says I need 3 1/4", but I can go to a thicker hose if needed.

Got these on order: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WLN2CKF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They may be just a tad too big as they only go down to 3 1/2" and my math says I need 3 1/4", but I can go to a thicker hose if needed.

These Norma's are 70-90mm, so a bit over 3.5" on the high end.

https://www.amazon.com/NORMA-01266704080-000-0543-Hose-Clamps-mm-90/dp/B06Y1WV788/ref=sr_1_21?dchild=1&keywords=80mm+stainless+steel+hose+clamp&qid=1597375633&s=industrial&sr=1-21#detail-bullets

Thanks, Jim. I'll wait and see how this works out. I put the filter in the bracket and used a really small tape to check the distance - 10 1/8" - which works out to a diameter of 3.22". However, the tape is very flexible and the clamps aren't, so I doubt the clamp will conform as tightly as the tape did to the not-so-round path w/o over tightening it. Given that, I'm guessing that it'll be a bit over 3.5", but we shall see.

Thanks, Jim. I'll wait and see how this works out. I put the filter in the bracket and used a really small tape to check the distance - 10 1/8" - which works out to a diameter of 3.22". However, the tape is very flexible and the clamps aren't, so I doubt the clamp will conform as tightly as the tape did to the not-so-round path w/o over tightening it. Given that, I'm guessing that it'll be a bit over 3.5", but we shall see.

That filter bracket looks great...and professional.

Thank you, Scott. When you have a bunch of aluminum channel everything gets some form of it as a solution. :nabble_smiley_wink:

When all you have is a hammer everything's a nail. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Yeah, when I'm looking for something that is 'between' imperial sizes I go metric.

I hope the clamps on order work out for you.

I hate cutting the tails off because they always seem to be a razor sharp snag after that.