Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary, the rear tank is easy with no bed installed. It still comes out the bottom though.

Bill - It can be done from the bottom, but it is a struggle.

I'm tired of taking things apart to get other things installed. So I didn't really consider removing the bed as that would require lots of other work, like pulling the tool box, wiring harness, etc.

And, speaking of tired of taking things apart, I'm going to take a shortcut on the fuel level sender wiring. In spite of all the recommendations against, I'm going to put a relay on the frame where the tank selector valve was. But, it isn't going to be just a relay. It'll be one of the these waterproof relays in a waterproof project box and using these waterproof glands for the wiring entry.

I just can't face pulling more wire up or routing wire into the cab when it is so easy to put a relay where that tank valve was. Everything needed is there, so that part will be a piece of cake. And since it isn't a mission-critical system I'm going to do it. I've ordered 5 of the waterproof relays so will put one in the tool box, just in case. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Bill - It can be done from the bottom, but it is a struggle.

I'm tired of taking things apart to get other things installed. So I didn't really consider removing the bed as that would require lots of other work, like pulling the tool box, wiring harness, etc.

And, speaking of tired of taking things apart, I'm going to take a shortcut on the fuel level sender wiring. In spite of all the recommendations against, I'm going to put a relay on the frame where the tank selector valve was. But, it isn't going to be just a relay. It'll be one of the these waterproof relays in a waterproof project box and using these waterproof glands for the wiring entry.

I just can't face pulling more wire up or routing wire into the cab when it is so easy to put a relay where that tank valve was. Everything needed is there, so that part will be a piece of cake. And since it isn't a mission-critical system I'm going to do it. I've ordered 5 of the waterproof relays so will put one in the tool box, just in case. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I got the fuel lines run up to the point where the wyes go, cut the lines, and used the tool to put the wyes in. Here's a pic where I had just used the Dorman tool to put a wye in one of the lines. But note that I already have the line going off to the front tank on the wye. That's because I didn't want to heat the lines after I'd installed them on the wye, and I had to heat the line going to the tank since there's no adapter for the tool for wyes. But, the process worked.

Installing_A_Wye.thumb.jpg.d61ae9dd1620077f144e840c3344712a.jpg

Speaking of the lines to the front tank, I got the front tank in place and discovered that while I could get the supply line on the return was too long. So I had to cut the line and graft another connector on - under the vehicle. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Once that was done I tightened the bolts to the straps, but ran out of time to get the filler neck on. So that's on the agenda for tomorrow. As is making a fuel filter bracket - the filter came in so I have something to measure.

I got the fuel lines run up to the point where the wyes go, cut the lines, and used the tool to put the wyes in. Here's a pic where I had just used the Dorman tool to put a wye in one of the lines. But note that I already have the line going off to the front tank on the wye. That's because I didn't want to heat the lines after I'd installed them on the wye, and I had to heat the line going to the tank since there's no adapter for the tool for wyes. But, the process worked.

Speaking of the lines to the front tank, I got the front tank in place and discovered that while I could get the supply line on the return was too long. So I had to cut the line and graft another connector on - under the vehicle. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Once that was done I tightened the bolts to the straps, but ran out of time to get the filler neck on. So that's on the agenda for tomorrow. As is making a fuel filter bracket - the filter came in so I have something to measure.

Progress is good! 😀

I don't have nearly as much to show as you, but I'd like to see that tool in action.

Seems like everything is coming together, probably in time for the GTG! 👍

I'm struggling a bit with tightening the cab mounts on my own, and while the torrential downpour did knock a few points off the humidity it did not improve the dirt of the paddock.

I think I'm going to concentrate on my wiring for now while I give the cardboard a chance to dry a bit.

Progress is good! 😀

I don't have nearly as much to show as you, but I'd like to see that tool in action.

Seems like everything is coming together, probably in time for the GTG! 👍

I'm struggling a bit with tightening the cab mounts on my own, and while the torrential downpour did knock a few points off the humidity it did not improve the dirt of the paddock.

I think I'm going to concentrate on my wiring for now while I give the cardboard a chance to dry a bit.

Yes, progress is good. But it sure seems slooooow. When the goal is in sight it really seems like everything goes into sloooooow moooootion...... But, I do think I'll have it started in a few weeks.

By the way, I posted in the wrong thread, but to tighten the cab mount bolts I put a breakover/socket combo on the bolts and had it up against the door or the back of the cab depending on the bolt.

Yes, progress is good. But it sure seems slooooow. When the goal is in sight it really seems like everything goes into sloooooow moooootion...... But, I do think I'll have it started in a few weeks.

By the way, I posted in the wrong thread, but to tighten the cab mount bolts I put a breakover/socket combo on the bolts and had it up against the door or the back of the cab depending on the bolt.

Trick next time if you do something like this again, is to make the line up and attach it at the tank then run it and make up the other end at the end. It makes life easier than running it and doing the tank last.

Gee that tool looks familiar. The kit was well worth the price for me, plus I hadn't even started to do the lines on Darth when I had a customer with a messed up line on a Dodge, I had everything to fix it once he had it towed to my house.

I see, it looks like the bastard child of a flaring tool and a squeeze grip clamp! 😂

I see, it looks like the bastard child of a flaring tool and a squeeze grip clamp! 😂
Rusty - That approach didn't look like it would work in this case. The wyes are in the frame rail beside the tank, so you can't get to them to work on them when the tank is in place. Given that, did the wyes first and I measured the tank lines I took off and made my lines that length. But they were too long, as I discovered.

Bill - Yeah, I have the tool but not the whole kit. Don't need the 45's and 90's, just the straight ones. And, all of the line I'm running is 3/8" instead of the smaller 5/16", so I don't need those. Saved a whole lot of money.

Jim - I think you have gotten the picture. But just in case, here's the training video from Dorman. I'm starting it at 1:00 where they actually get to using the tool, but you can back it up if you want.

Rusty - That approach didn't look like it would work in this case. The wyes are in the frame rail beside the tank, so you can't get to them to work on them when the tank is in place. Given that, did the wyes first and I measured the tank lines I took off and made my lines that length. But they were too long, as I discovered.

Bill - Yeah, I have the tool but not the whole kit. Don't need the 45's and 90's, just the straight ones. And, all of the line I'm running is 3/8" instead of the smaller 5/16", so I don't need those. Saved a whole lot of money.

Jim - I think you have gotten the picture. But just in case, here's the training video from Dorman. I'm starting it at 1:00 where they actually get to using the tool, but you can back it up if you want.

So you couldnt have made up the plastic line attached them to the tank and then route them forward?Thats how I did them on the LT swap I did few years back I attached the plastic push lock fuel line to the fuel tank first then routed them up front then made them once I got to the engine where they needed to go.

So you couldnt have made up the plastic line attached them to the tank and then route them forward?

Thats how I did them on the LT swap I did few years back I attached the plastic push lock fuel line to the fuel tank first then routed them up front then made them once I got to the engine where they needed to go.

Don't forget that I have two tanks. And you can't get to the top of the rear tank when it is in place. But I wanted to start from the rear, so I made up the push-lock connectors, got the tank close by hanging it with ratchet straps, and made the connections.

After the tank was finally in place I ran the lines along the frame and clipped them into the white retainers until I got to the place for the wyes. There's a little 9" spot between two of those retainers where the wyes go, and since the front tank's side basically seals that spot off when it is in place I realized the wyes needed to be made up next. So I had to guess at how long the feeders to the front tank should be, and erred on the too-long side so I could shorten them if needed.

Another step I forgot to mention is that I covered the lines with convolute. There are several places where they aren't supported well enough to prevent them from moving and potentially chafing on the frame. In fact, the lines I took out had several spots where they'd chafed. So I figured the convolute would help prevent that.