Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

armored flex? what does that look like?

Im kinda looking at options for lines between my fuel filter/pressure regulator and the fuel tank. Kinda dont like having some 2 to 4 feet of rubber line between tank and filter but I really dont like the idea of plastic lines for my setup.

I called it armored flex, it is probably the nylon or similar line inside a braided stainless steel covering.

IMGP0925.thumb.jpg.228afa544f8783e175dd5a9831c508a5.jpg

Is there a reason not to reuse the Wye fittings you already have?

While the tool is $90 flat rate priority postage is $15.

Bill is done with his fuel system (today) you could make line sets for both trucks and spend 1/3 on a tool that's likely only to see the inside of a drawer for the next 20 years.

The actual fuel filter, or what you considering for vents?

I know you powder coat everything, but I try to keep dissimilar metals apart.

I wouldn't trust a plastic zip tie for fuel.

A stainless hose clamp.... yeah.

But that's even further away on the galvanic scale.

If the lines will come off the wyes then I can reuse them. And I've been actively searching for replacements and haven't found them, so will try removing the lines from the wyes this afternoon.

Good idea on the tool. Bill - you up for that?

The actual fuel filter, which looks like the one below. I'd wondered about the galvanic chart, but need some way to support the filter. Was thinking that splitting pieces of a rubber hose and slipping them over the ends of the channel would suffice.

And, could do one stainless hose clamp. But I have some very heavy 1/4" zip ties and was thinking of using two.

31lBs5QsEpL.jpg.ab97aae254c81dbc3e858751d037b700.jpg

I called it armored flex, it is probably the nylon or similar line inside a braided stainless steel covering.

Bill - Huck's lines don't have the flex in them. They are the standard nylon lines but covered with high pressure rubber fuel hose.

But, your pic helps a lot. First, it shows how that support goes in, and since BB's frame doesn't have the holes I wasn't sure where it goes.

Also, you seem to have to steel lines going to that bracket. Yes? Huck's lines are still the plastic. If yours are steel, where does that start?

If the lines will come off the wyes then I can reuse them. And I've been actively searching for replacements and haven't found them, so will try removing the lines from the wyes this afternoon.

Good idea on the tool. Bill - you up for that?

The actual fuel filter, which looks like the one below. I'd wondered about the galvanic chart, but need some way to support the filter. Was thinking that splitting pieces of a rubber hose and slipping them over the ends of the channel would suffice.

And, could do one stainless hose clamp. But I have some very heavy 1/4" zip ties and was thinking of using two.

Amazing how much that filter looks like the 90* outlet one I have from a 2001 Altima.

Zip ties if you like, but not for me. 😐

Depending on the application, braided line is usually a PTFE liner bonded to rubber, that encases an intermediate braid, ant then the outer braid protects all from abrasion.

When making up lines you slip a flare nut onto the line insert a ferrule (or 'olive') between the braid and the line, then insert your fitting.

The flare nut threads up onto the fitting with the ferrule creating crush and an interference fit.

Teflon is one of the most inert substances we have ever created.

Amazing how much that filter looks like the 90* outlet one I have from a 2001 Altima.

Zip ties if you like, but not for me. 😐

Depending on the application, braided line is usually a PTFE liner bonded to rubber, that encases an intermediate braid, ant then the outer braid protects all from abrasion.

When making up lines you slip a flare nut onto the line insert a ferrule (or 'olive') between the braid and the line, then insert your fitting.

The flare nut threads up onto the fitting with the ferrule creating crush and an interference fit.

Teflon is one of the most inert substances we have ever created.

Bill's filter should be just aft of the area in that pic. I wonder how the filter attaches to it? A clip? A factory bracket would be good, but my local salvage doesn't have the trucks where you can go under them. I need to call tomorrow about my refund on that filler neck, so will ask if they have one as they may have the bed off some of them and can get to it.

And Bill's braided lines appear to have a covering over them. That would be needed as that braid would saw on the aluminum tranny since there doesn't appear to be anything keeping them from moving. No tie downs, nada. So as you hit bumps and/or the engine torques over they are going to move relative to the tranny.

On the steel lines I mentioned at that bracket, I have a pair of stainless lines with the ends set up for those fuel line connectors. In fact, they had a label wrapped around them with a big warning saying FUEL LINES. But they are cut on the other ends and I don't have a clue where they came from nor where they would go. I put the hoses in BB yesterday and they fit pretty well - without those lines.

I'll take pics later today, but what I have is a set of lines coming from the rear tank and then having the wyes for supply, return, & vent beside the mid-ship tank. One set of lines from the wyes go back to connect to that tank, but the other set goes forward. The supply has a connector to go to the fuel filter and the return has a male connector to take a female. From there nylon lines go forward to the bracket in Bill's pic and then up the back of the bell housing. At the top of the bell housing there are female connectors, and from there steel lines go up to the fuel rail with coiled-spring connectors to it.

Bill - Huck's lines don't have the flex in them. They are the standard nylon lines but covered with high pressure rubber fuel hose.

But, your pic helps a lot. First, it shows how that support goes in, and since BB's frame doesn't have the holes I wasn't sure where it goes.

Also, you seem to have to steel lines going to that bracket. Yes? Huck's lines are still the plastic. If yours are steel, where does that start?

Gary, I will have to get the ones the Jim gave me and get pictures, they should be the same. Those lines are from a 1994 a fellow on FTE gave me and the hard line starts at the filter if I remember correctly, the black "hose" behind the steel line is the plastic return line in a rubber jacket.

The filter and bracket came with the lines, or may have been from Big Ugly (1990 F250).

Gary, I will have to get the ones the Jim gave me and get pictures, they should be the same. Those lines are from a 1994 a fellow on FTE gave me and the hard line starts at the filter if I remember correctly, the black "hose" behind the steel line is the plastic return line in a rubber jacket.

The filter and bracket came with the lines, or may have been from Big Ugly (1990 F250).

Bill - I pulled the tubing off of the wyes today and 5 of the 6 connections came off cleanly. But I melted one of the hoses just a bit too much and it bonded with the plastic of the wye. I got the vast majority of it off and think it is fine. But, if you come up with another wye I'd sure like to buy it.

Ditto for the filter bracket. If you have an extra I'd like to buy it. But if not I can make one.

As for the hard line, I'm still puzzled as to why I have hard lines when I don't have a place for them. Everything fits nicely w/o them. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Bill - I pulled the tubing off of the wyes today and 5 of the 6 connections came off cleanly. But I melted one of the hoses just a bit too much and it bonded with the plastic of the wye. I got the vast majority of it off and think it is fine. But, if you come up with another wye I'd sure like to buy it.

Ditto for the filter bracket. If you have an extra I'd like to buy it. But if not I can make one.

As for the hard line, I'm still puzzled as to why I have hard lines when I don't have a place for them. Everything fits nicely w/o them. So I'm not going to worry about it.

Here's the plan - everything will be new. I'm ordering:

• Male Disconnects to fuel hose: I'm still looking for the male part of the disconnects, which I think is called either a Bundy or SAE, to a 3/8" hose barb. I need one in 3/8" male and one in 5/16" male for the supply and return lines respectively. I want these to clip into the new lines on the back of the bell housing to go to the fuel pressure regulator while I'm running the carb. But have not yet found them.

Ah you are talking about the nylon/plastic braided lines for high pressure applications such as power steering and brakes.

I think that would be a bit over kill for a fuel vent or fuel pressure, those lines are supposed to be good to some 5,000 psi I think.