Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Having the fuel go down the center should help your fill a lot! :nabble_smiley_good:

Yes! Big Blue was AWFUL to fill. You could NOT run the pump on auto as it would trip off even on the lowest setting.

Dad's truck wasn't that way, so I often wondered what people were griping about. Then I got BB and found out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Yes! Big Blue was AWFUL to fill. You could NOT run the pump on auto as it would trip off even on the lowest setting.

Dad's truck wasn't that way, so I often wondered what people were griping about. Then I got BB and found out. :nabble_smiley_cry:

But why? Were the vent tubes missing/disconnected?

Not saying that going to the new style isn't an improvement but even the factory design on our trucks should work.

My 86 doesn't have a problem at all. The flatbed does for sure but it's missing the vent.

Just curious if when you took BB apart, you saw something that wasn't how it was supposed to be.

But why? Were the vent tubes missing/disconnected?

Not saying that going to the new style isn't an improvement but even the factory design on our trucks should work.

My 86 doesn't have a problem at all. The flatbed does for sure but it's missing the vent.

Just curious if when you took BB apart, you saw something that wasn't how it was supposed to be.

No, I didn't notice anything. But it is still there, so I can check in a bit.....

No, I didn't notice anything. But it is still there, so I can check in a bit.....

Thanks Gary. Not a big deal but I've also heard numerous people say that have filling issues and have always been curious if there is something to it beyond a bad vent tube.

Thanks Gary. Not a big deal but I've also heard numerous people say that have filling issues and have always been curious if there is something to it beyond a bad vent tube.

It was a design problem particularly on the dually trucks. The extra length and twists to get to the tanks followed by the small 3/4" if I remember correctly vent tube that just stuck into the tank would cause the filler to "burp" fuel. The rear tank is actually the worst as the filler hose enters almost horizontally which puts the vent tube essentially in the stream of fuel entering the tank.

1987 the design was reversed, fuel goes down a 1" tube and the entire outside hose is the vent path, but the DRW trucks are still a bit of a pain to fill. When I did the EFI conversion on Darth, I used the 1990 styleside tanks and since there was no bed, just left their filler necks on. I went prowling my friend's yard for 1987-97 DRW fillers, but everyone of them had been cut to get the gas out for the yard vehicles. I finally got a set from a 1996 Diesel and since Darth was a non-catalyst truck I wasn't worried about no restrictors, plus leaded gas is non existent unless you buy race gas or avgas.

Well, Scott, it turned out to be a big deal. The fuel tank filler neck that was on Big Blue says "FNF-027" on the side. And if you look that up it is for the later model tank/truck, as shown here on Amazon.

So, I already have one of the two filler necks that I need. So I called the salvage and explained that to them so they are only looking for the rear filler neck. But, I learned that they always cut the hoses, so I will have to replace them.

Which brings me to why BB was horribly slow to fill. In the pic below you see the filler neck that was on BB laying on the Bricknose tank on top, and the correct Bullnose filler neck laying on Big Blue's side tank on the bottom. Notice the size of the hoses protruding from the necks, with the Bricknose neck having a much bigger hose as that's where the gas goes and the air comes up around it. But the Bullnose hose is smaller and corrugated, and it is what the air goes through on a Bullnose.

Then if you look at the inlet on the tanks you'll see the problem. The Bullnose tank has a fitting into which the smaller vent hose is supposed to go. But that fitting is too big for the Bricknose hose to fit over, and too small for it to go into. I'm not sure how they had it in there, but however they had it there was some interference with fuel coming in and the air coming out, and that must be what caused it to be terribly slow to fill.

Bricknose_vs_Bullnose_Fuel_Tanks__Pipes.thumb.jpg.c0aa6c30316c2776b171849479a0c04d.jpg

Well, Scott, it turned out to be a big deal. The fuel tank filler neck that was on Big Blue says "FNF-027" on the side. And if you look that up it is for the later model tank/truck, as shown here on Amazon.

So, I already have one of the two filler necks that I need. So I called the salvage and explained that to them so they are only looking for the rear filler neck. But, I learned that they always cut the hoses, so I will have to replace them.

Which brings me to why BB was horribly slow to fill. In the pic below you see the filler neck that was on BB laying on the Bricknose tank on top, and the correct Bullnose filler neck laying on Big Blue's side tank on the bottom. Notice the size of the hoses protruding from the necks, with the Bricknose neck having a much bigger hose as that's where the gas goes and the air comes up around it. But the Bullnose hose is smaller and corrugated, and it is what the air goes through on a Bullnose.

Then if you look at the inlet on the tanks you'll see the problem. The Bullnose tank has a fitting into which the smaller vent hose is supposed to go. But that fitting is too big for the Bricknose hose to fit over, and too small for it to go into. I'm not sure how they had it in there, but however they had it there was some interference with fuel coming in and the air coming out, and that must be what caused it to be terribly slow to fill.

Thanks a lot for putting that post together. Definitely a unique situation you had going on there.

Another half 🍑 job by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Another half 🍑 job by :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:

Yes, it does look like :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: had his way with this part of the truck as well. :nabble_smiley_sad:

But, I'm getting there. Having found that I have the proper front filler neck I just need the rear filler neck and two hoses. Jeannie at the salvage called and said they have the filler neck, so I paid them $25 and I'll pick it up in a few days. And I've ordered from Amazon a Spectra Premium FNH122 Fuel Tank Filler Neck Hose for the front tank and a Spectra Premium FNH090 Fuel Tank Filler Neck Hose for the rear tank. They'll both be here Monday.

Then I tried to install the front/mid-ship skid plate off Huck. I'll go, but I'd need to move one hanger and drill three new holes. And even then it is short - apparently that top tank in the pic above is a 16 gallon instead of the 19 gallon one that was on Big Blue and that I have on order. And that skid plate doesn't protect the whole of the tank.

So out came another one I have and it bolted on perfectly. And while I was at it I spotted the rear tank skid plates. Now all I need are tanks! And they are due tomorrow.

Oh yes, once I get it all together and the lines run I'll need the pressure regulator from Holley. And in spite of it saying "Estimated shipping date: 07/30/2020" when I ordered they now say "Estimated shipping date: 08/12/2020." :nabble_smiley_sad:

Dads_Mid-Ship_Tank_Skid_Plate_On_BB.thumb.jpg.38c64a562b8eedc5499538f3a31709f2.jpg