Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

There's a fair amount of stuff to report today. First, I got the parts for the fuel system on order:

• Fuel Pressure Reguator: Was going to order the Holley 12-887 black return-style regulator, as previously discussed. In fact I had it in the cart at Amazon, but today they said Out Of Stock and they didn't have a projected date for getting it. Long story short, no one has that regulator and even Holley says it'll be August 28th before they get it. However, there's a polished version of the same regulator, 12-881, for the same price that is supposed to be in stock tomorrow. It is on order.

• Rear FDM: With some testing, which I'll report in the other thread, I determined that an FDM for a side tank sits at the wrong angle for a rear tank. But I found this Spectra Premium SP2009H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for Ford F Series, and ordered it. Should be here on Saturday. But I may have to lower the FDM and sending unit on the hanger to get it to pick up all the gas from the tank that is twice the size it was made for.

• Front FDM: I also ordered the Spectra Premium SP2006H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for Ford F Series. It, like the 2009, is a complete unit including a pigtail so I can change the harness to the later style. But, it won't be here until some time between the 7th and 12.

About then the HVAC plenum gaskets were delivered and I got the plenum and the heater hoses installed. Still have the fender liner to put back to the fender, but that won't take long. And I have to change the harness to match the later wiring that goes with this plenum. But that's not a big deal either.

So, tomorrow it'll be wiring and maybe coolant system testing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Progress is GOOD! 😃

So, tomorrow it'll be wiring and maybe coolant system testing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hmmm, this reminded me of the attack on Pearl Harbor and what statement has been attributed to Isoroku Yamamoto... "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant".

The mighty 460 will soon awaken! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Hmmm, this reminded me of the attack on Pearl Harbor and what statement has been attributed to Isoroku Yamamoto... "I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant".

The mighty 460 will soon awaken! :nabble_smiley_wink:

Lol! I hope! It sure has been sleeping for quite a while. Not sure about the “giant” part though. 😉

The 460 is a giant, and if Scott built it it is going to be a BEAST! 💪

Got the HVAC system wired up today. But just before I did the soldering and added the heat-shrink tubing I got to wondering about the "medium" setting wiring. The setting show as M1 and M2, and there was something about the 1996 EVTM's layout that bugged me. As it turns out, it is wrong. I corrected the previous post, and here's the corrected wiring:

Gnd High M2 M1

Bullnose: Black O/Bk LB/O R/O

Bricknose: Black O/Bk LG/W Y/R

And, as I was running the A/C clutch wires I discovered that both wires had a butt crimp in them. So I removed the crimps and extended the wires a bit as they'd been shortened for some reason.

Then, at the absolute and of the day I though I'd test the cooling system. Here's the setup, with the test regulator I put together recently and the hose going to the port on the radiator's neck.

Cooling_System_Tester.thumb.jpg.93e155d30843fbad55f0aa3ed9662565.jpg

But what you can't tell from the pic is that at just 4 psi I had a serious leak! With a hose to my ear I started checking and discovered that the air was coming out at the back of the thermostat housing. Here's a pic of the gasket after I pulled the housing off. Note that the area at the back and at the front has more black RTV showing than at the bolt areas.

Thermostat_Gasket_That_Leaks.thumb.jpg.f1329b2418d73936ed8983d209c99154.jpg

And here's the bottom of the housing. What you can't really see w/o holding the thing just right is that the bolt areas are higher than the front and back. Looks like I need to replace this thing, and it is marked F0TE 8594-BA.

Boy, I sure am glad I tested the cooling system!!!! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Gooseneck_Bottom.thumb.jpg.b4b38820172c9afea65f1fe2120d032b.jpg

Got the HVAC system wired up today. But just before I did the soldering and added the heat-shrink tubing I got to wondering about the "medium" setting wiring. The setting show as M1 and M2, and there was something about the 1996 EVTM's layout that bugged me. As it turns out, it is wrong. I corrected the previous post, and here's the corrected wiring:

Gnd High M2 M1

And, as I was running the A/C clutch wires I discovered that both wires had a butt crimp in them. So I removed the crimps and extended the wires a bit as they'd been shortened for some reason.

Then, at the absolute and of the day I though I'd test the cooling system. Here's the setup, with the test regulator I put together recently and the hose going to the port on the radiator's neck.

But what you can't tell from the pic is that at just 4 psi I had a serious leak! With a hose to my ear I started checking and discovered that the air was coming out at the back of the thermostat housing. Here's a pic of the gasket after I pulled the housing off. Note that the area at the back and at the front has more black RTV showing than at the bolt areas.

And here's the bottom of the housing. What you can't really see w/o holding the thing just right is that the bolt areas are higher than the front and back. Looks like I need to replace this thing, and it is marked F0TE 8594-BA.

Turns out that the proper part number for a '95 F350 w/a 460 is F5TZ 8592-A. But that has been discontinued and I couldn't find one. But Dorman 902-1044 is the spitting image of the one I have, so I ordered one of those from Amazon. It is supposed to be here Saturday.

Gnd High M2 M1

That would be horrible if you fired the truck and tried to run the cam in for 20 minutes at 2,000 rpm+.

But I would just file or lap the water neck flat.

Someone overtightend it at some point.

That would be horrible if you fired the truck and tried to run the cam in for 20 minutes at 2,000 rpm+.

But I would just file or lap the water neck flat.

Someone overtightend it at some point.

I agree that it has been over tightened. And I toyed with milling it down or filling it down, but at $30 delivered with a new gasket and the assurance that it will be flat I opted for a new one.

I'll use the extra time to work on the fuel system. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I agree that it has been over tightened. And I toyed with milling it down or filling it down, but at $30 delivered with a new gasket and the assurance that it will be flat I opted for a new one.

I'll use the extra time to work on the fuel system. :nabble_smiley_wink:

$30 for 5 minutes?

I wish I could pull down that rate. 🤣