Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Speaking of fuel, I pulled out the FDM's as well as the pump and sending unit out of BB's mid-ship tank. As explained in the School Me On Fuel Deliver Module thread, I succeeded in getting one FDM apart. But it was a royal battle and one I'm not interested in doing again. So I'm pretty sure I'm going to order in two new FDMs. But first I'll put these FDM's in the tanks and make sure the orientation is correct as they are tabbed.

However, I have a conundrum. The new FDMs will come with new sending units, and my plan has been to build the Arduino and convert the later sender's output to work with the Bullnose gauges. However, I've realized that the sending units on the FDMs screw on the side of the module. So I could easily make a bracket to hold a Bullnose sending unit on the side of an FDM. And, I think I actually have the sending units, courtesy of Vernon.

While that wasn't the plan, I believe I should consider it. But I'm looking for your input.

What will be easier for your kids to get serviced if needed at a later date?

What will be easier for your kids to get serviced if needed at a later date?

Easy - the full FDM's, inc the later sending units.

However, even then the Bronco FDM will be for a 33 gallon tank and I'm using a 38 gallon one. I think I'm going to lengthen the arm, but they won't have to as it'll still work. The reading will be off, with probably 5 gallons left in the tank when the gauge says it is empty.

Easy - the full FDM's, inc the later sending units.

However, even then the Bronco FDM will be for a 33 gallon tank and I'm using a 38 gallon one. I think I'm going to lengthen the arm, but they won't have to as it'll still work. The reading will be off, with probably 5 gallons left in the tank when the gauge says it is empty.

That'd be my recommendation

That'd be my recommendation

I have never lengthened the float rod. Just bend it where it is sitting on the bottom stop on sender and the float is close to the bottom of the tank. It will read empty when on the bottom stop and full when on the top stop. They usually stay on full longer before it starts to drop.

I have never lengthened the float rod. Just bend it where it is sitting on the bottom stop on sender and the float is close to the bottom of the tank. It will read empty when on the bottom stop and full when on the top stop. They usually stay on full longer before it starts to drop.

Thanks, guys. That's the way I'm leaning.

And, good idea on bending the arm, Bruce.

But, I'm not finding a full FDM for a '95 Bronco. Just the pump module w/o the sender. Can anyone else find one? :nabble_anim_confused:

Thanks, guys. That's the way I'm leaning.

And, good idea on bending the arm, Bruce.

But, I'm not finding a full FDM for a '95 Bronco. Just the pump module w/o the sender. Can anyone else find one? :nabble_anim_confused:

If YOU can't find it, do you think your children could -in 15/20 years time-?

If YOU can't find it, do you think your children could -in 15/20 years time-?

I'm thinking I'm just not looking in the right place for the complete unit. For a 1995 Bronco RA has the pump module w/o the hanger or the sending unit - the SPECTRA PREMIUM SP154 - for $45.79. And, they have the sending unit - the LILAND GLOBAL SUFD61 - for $56.99. So for $102.78 you get both but have to use your old hanger.

Amazon has the Spectra Premium SP154 for $44.94, but I can't find the sending unit or the hanger.

Contrast that with Amazon having the Spectra Premium SP2006H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for $83.50. Yep, the whole shooting match, hanger, pump, and sending unit. And it is for a 19 gallon mid-ship tank for a 1995 F350 w/a 460.

I have the equivalent of the SP2006H, meaning the one for the 19 gallon side tank, and tomorrow I'll put it in the 38 gallon rear tank and see what would need to be done to make that work. The floats and arms come out of those things pretty easily, so I wonder if I can make a float/arm combo to put into the SP2006 and use it in the 38 gallon tank. Then when the unit needs to be changed they can re-use the float and arm.

I'm thinking I'm just not looking in the right place for the complete unit. For a 1995 Bronco RA has the pump module w/o the hanger or the sending unit - the SPECTRA PREMIUM SP154 - for $45.79. And, they have the sending unit - the LILAND GLOBAL SUFD61 - for $56.99. So for $102.78 you get both but have to use your old hanger.

Amazon has the Spectra Premium SP154 for $44.94, but I can't find the sending unit or the hanger.

Contrast that with Amazon having the Spectra Premium SP2006H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for $83.50. Yep, the whole shooting match, hanger, pump, and sending unit. And it is for a 19 gallon mid-ship tank for a 1995 F350 w/a 460.

I have the equivalent of the SP2006H, meaning the one for the 19 gallon side tank, and tomorrow I'll put it in the 38 gallon rear tank and see what would need to be done to make that work. The floats and arms come out of those things pretty easily, so I wonder if I can make a float/arm combo to put into the SP2006 and use it in the 38 gallon tank. Then when the unit needs to be changed they can re-use the float and arm.

Sometimes old things are old and just not useful to have around any more. 🙅

That's why hundreds of dusty warehouses have their contents sold off for scrap value or less to places like Rock Auto...

Have you tried Rear Counter?

Sometimes old things are old and just not useful to have around any more. 🙅

That's why hundreds of dusty warehouses have their contents sold off for scrap value or less to places like Rock Auto...

Have you tried Rear Counter?

Well, that's an idea I'd not thought of, mainly because I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money. But, Rock Auto has a # for the Motorcraft part, F6TZ9A407DB, so I checked Rear Counter and Bob Allen Ford has one. Too early to call them, but I'm sure I won't like the price as RA's price is $345.

So I googled that number and found several hits, most around $400 and several saying it doesn't come with the sending unit, which is another $119. :nabble_smiley_oh:

However, the several pictures of it I saw show that it has the standard fuel pump module but dropped down a couple of inches farther from the hanger than the ones I have. So I'll look into the possibility of doing just that - extending the tubes on the hanger to lower the pump & sending unit.

Well, that's an idea I'd not thought of, mainly because I wasn't willing to spend that kind of money. But, Rock Auto has a # for the Motorcraft part, F6TZ9A407DB, so I checked Rear Counter and Bob Allen Ford has one. Too early to call them, but I'm sure I won't like the price as RA's price is $345.

So I googled that number and found several hits, most around $400 and several saying it doesn't come with the sending unit, which is another $119. :nabble_smiley_oh:

However, the several pictures of it I saw show that it has the standard fuel pump module but dropped down a couple of inches farther from the hanger than the ones I have. So I'll look into the possibility of doing just that - extending the tubes on the hanger to lower the pump & sending unit.

There's a fair amount of stuff to report today. First, I got the parts for the fuel system on order:

• Fuel Pressure Reguator: Was going to order the Holley 12-887 black return-style regulator, as previously discussed. In fact I had it in the cart at Amazon, but today they said Out Of Stock and they didn't have a projected date for getting it. Long story short, no one has that regulator and even Holley says it'll be August 28th before they get it. However, there's a polished version of the same regulator, 12-881, for the same price that is supposed to be in stock tomorrow. It is on order.

• Rear FDM: With some testing, which I'll report in the other thread, I determined that an FDM for a side tank sits at the wrong angle for a rear tank. But I found this Spectra Premium SP2009H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for Ford F Series, and ordered it. Should be here on Saturday. But I may have to lower the FDM and sending unit on the hanger to get it to pick up all the gas from the tank that is twice the size it was made for.

• Front FDM: I also ordered the Spectra Premium SP2006H Fuel Hanger Assembly with Pump and Sending Unit for Ford F Series. It, like the 2009, is a complete unit including a pigtail so I can change the harness to the later style. But, it won't be here until some time between the 7th and 12.

About then the HVAC plenum gaskets were delivered and I got the plenum and the heater hoses installed. Still have the fender liner to put back to the fender, but that won't take long. And I have to change the harness to match the later wiring that goes with this plenum. But that's not a big deal either.

So, tomorrow it'll be wiring and maybe coolant system testing. :nabble_smiley_wink:

HVAC_Plenum_Is_In.thumb.jpg.391b10854d2b50c52cf11645aed09c64.jpg