Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

How do they come off the engine and to the frame? It appears they run down the frame, but how do they get there? Any guidance on that or pictures thereof?

They just run straight back to the adapter where they attach. Rear hose is the supply to the cooler, front hose is return to the filter.

565.thumb.jpg.66973f7b66da4c40f89e296752d36cf1.jpg

567.thumb.jpg.f9537d6e5d9909b3f7145f759ef28d37.jpg

568.thumb.jpg.bbc5fe89a68cf8617937eaf8c865cc4d.jpg

They just run straight back to the adapter where they attach. Rear hose is the supply to the cooler, front hose is return to the filter.

Scott - I see what you are saying. The steering box is very much in the way.

Bill - And yours run straight back as well.

Ok guys, I'm sold. But I'm going to put it up on the lift tomorrow and see how the hoses might run. However, my barbs come straight out, so I'm wondering if I should put 45s or 90s on them. We shall see how things might best run.

Thanks.

Scott - I see what you are saying. The steering box is very much in the way.

Bill - And yours run straight back as well.

Ok guys, I'm sold. But I'm going to put it up on the lift tomorrow and see how the hoses might run. However, my barbs come straight out, so I'm wondering if I should put 45s or 90s on them. We shall see how things might best run.

Thanks.

Your illustration appears to have 90's on the adapter, and a further 45 on the inlet hose....

Your illustration appears to have 90's on the adapter, and a further 45 on the inlet hose....

Exactly. So we shall see what it appears I need to do to get the hoses to lay/run where I want them to.

But a question for y'all. In this lame/poor drawing the round thing represents the Sky crossmember and the other the oil cooler and hose. And we are looking at it from the side. Fortunately the crossmember will protect the hoses, but I wonder if there's a good way to lash the hoses to the crossmember to support them. Yes, I can put zip ties there, but is there something else that would work better?

Cooler_Hose__Sky_Crossmember.thumb.jpg.43f5e5eb4a4b73e32899aec0e3c9ebc0.jpg

Exactly. So we shall see what it appears I need to do to get the hoses to lay/run where I want them to.

But a question for y'all. In this lame/poor drawing the round thing represents the Sky crossmember and the other the oil cooler and hose. And we are looking at it from the side. Fortunately the crossmember will protect the hoses, but I wonder if there's a good way to lash the hoses to the crossmember to support them. Yes, I can put zip ties there, but is there something else that would work better?

There are Delrin saddles that will hold two lines side by side.

I'm sure you can find them at Earl's or you could make them yourself.

There are Delrin saddles that will hold two lines side by side.

I'm sure you can find them at Earl's or you could make them yourself.

I didn't find them on the Earls site, unless you mean the tubing separator and I doubt that. But I'll look some more.

However, I assume you are talking about something that would clamp on the crossmember and provide a gentle turn to the hoses. Yes?

I didn't find them on the Earls site, unless you mean the tubing separator and I doubt that. But I'll look some more.

However, I assume you are talking about something that would clamp on the crossmember and provide a gentle turn to the hoses. Yes?

My adapter came off a 1988 or 1989 460 in a "huck" at Pick-n-Pull, it was a later crew cab that the frame had been cut a short distance behind the cab, the engine in it was a 1988-early 1990 460 and the cooler lines had just been hooked together and were just lying there. Cooler came from a 1988-89 dump truck the Donnie Medlin needed the transmission from. I asked him to remove the cooler with it as his crew were going to cut the front sheet metal and radiator support as they were too rusted to save. The hoses on that one got damaged so I didn't trust them. Here is the adapter as I bought it:

IMGP0805.jpg.4217e1a3da93ecd0938f9cb6d2932e0a.jpg

One of my lines has a 45 on the adapter end, I believe it is the return line from the cooler.

My adapter came off a 1988 or 1989 460 in a "huck" at Pick-n-Pull, it was a later crew cab that the frame had been cut a short distance behind the cab, the engine in it was a 1988-early 1990 460 and the cooler lines had just been hooked together and were just lying there. Cooler came from a 1988-89 dump truck the Donnie Medlin needed the transmission from. I asked him to remove the cooler with it as his crew were going to cut the front sheet metal and radiator support as they were too rusted to save. The hoses on that one got damaged so I didn't trust them. Here is the adapter as I bought it:

One of my lines has a 45 on the adapter end, I believe it is the return line from the cooler.

Good info, thanks Bill. And those 90s would send the lines straight forward where the barbs on mine currently send the lines up and into the mess of hoses and tubes going to the power steering pump and steering box.

The hose I bought says right on it "Min 3 inch bend" so I want to be careful and not try to bend it too tightly. I'll see in a bit how the lines might best run to get to the front w/o tight bends and yet stay out of harm's way.

Good info, thanks Bill. And those 90s would send the lines straight forward where the barbs on mine currently send the lines up and into the mess of hoses and tubes going to the power steering pump and steering box.

The hose I bought says right on it "Min 3 inch bend" so I want to be careful and not try to bend it too tightly. I'll see in a bit how the lines might best run to get to the front w/o tight bends and yet stay out of harm's way.

Got a bit done, but not quite as much as I'd hoped. First, I wanted to get at least the top of the cooler positioned so I could play with the hoses w/o fear of those previously-used red zip ties letting go. So I used some 5/8" rubber-lined hose clamps, tapped those two holes 8-1.00, and installed some spare bolts. But if you look closely you can see a scribe mark on the hood latch support. The tube hits the support so it looks like I'm going to have to play http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/florida-man-42_orig.jpg.

Top_Of_Engine_Oil_Cooler_Mounted.thumb.jpg.04015a0159cfa4516a3a1cf7ad289d4a.jpg

Then I tried to tie down the bottom of the cooler. However, I ran into a problem. In this pic you can see a hole I drilled, straight above the stainless hose clamp, more of which later. The plan is to put a 1/4-20 all-thread in there with a nut front & back, and then put the clamp you see on the bottom of the cooler over it and secure it with a couple of nuts. But, there's a piece inside the radiator support that is too close to allow me to get a nut back there. I'm wondering if I can use part of a sheetmetal nut and get it in there. Any other ideas?

Bottom_Of_The_Engine_Oil_Cooler_-_To_Be_Mounted.thumb.jpg.90cc2d454d14ab608bbee9c945059eb6.jpg

But, with at least the top of the cooler secured I moved on to creating a "stay" for the hoses where the pass the Sky crossmember. You saw it mounted, above, from the front. And here 'tis from the rear:

Back_Of_Oil_Cooler_Hose_Stay.thumb.jpg.0f4b57b12e70f33673688c7865e43eca.jpg

And here are two shots of it before I installed it. I'll need to powder coat it black when I do a number of other pieces as well as several of those bolts with white heads and washers.

Bottom_Of_Oil_Cooler_Line_Stay.thumb.jpg.54b59eec13fdfacafeb61049873b1769.jpgOil_Cooler_Hose_Stay_-_Front.thumb.jpg.d2fde71ebe22e27d5f040c88c26f2139.jpg

Got a bit done, but not quite as much as I'd hoped. First, I wanted to get at least the top of the cooler positioned so I could play with the hoses w/o fear of those previously-used red zip ties letting go. So I used some 5/8" rubber-lined hose clamps, tapped those two holes 8-1.00, and installed some spare bolts. But if you look closely you can see a scribe mark on the hood latch support. The tube hits the support so it looks like I'm going to have to play :nabble_florida-man-42_orig:.

Then I tried to tie down the bottom of the cooler. However, I ran into a problem. In this pic you can see a hole I drilled, straight above the stainless hose clamp, more of which later. The plan is to put a 1/4-20 all-thread in there with a nut front & back, and then put the clamp you see on the bottom of the cooler over it and secure it with a couple of nuts. But, there's a piece inside the radiator support that is too close to allow me to get a nut back there. I'm wondering if I can use part of a sheetmetal nut and get it in there. Any other ideas?

But, with at least the top of the cooler secured I moved on to creating a "stay" for the hoses where the pass the Sky crossmember. You saw it mounted, above, from the front. And here 'tis from the rear:

And here are two shots of it before I installed it. I'll need to powder coat it black when I do a number of other pieces as well as several of those bolts with white heads and washers.

I'd never "use part of a sheet metal nut".

They are flimsy enough, and if it's not clipped over an edge it's bound to spin.

I would have said stud welder, but you went and drilled all the meat out...

Are you sure you can't go ALL the way through the rad support?

A carriage bolt would work if you used a nibbler or file to square up the back side hole.

A flange nut to the front (loctited) and another nut to hold the P-clamp off where you want it.

What is 8x1?

That's an oddball fine metric thread.