Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I guess this means I'm sol for finding a factory shaft with a lower U-joint.

Time to figure something else out.

Jim, if you could mate the lower portion of an aeronose shaft with the upper underhood portion of a coffin nose shaft it should work. I had to build a column system for the "Chevstang" Pete Medlin built so his son and widow can drive it. Anything can be done if you are determined enough.

Do you want me to send you that lower shaft from the F450?

Jim, if you could mate the lower portion of an aeronose shaft with the upper underhood portion of a coffin nose shaft it should work. I had to build a column system for the "Chevstang" Pete Medlin built so his son and widow can drive it. Anything can be done if you are determined enough.

Do you want me to send you that lower shaft from the F450?

I think there's some confusion. According to our page on steering columns there was a change in 1988 to a different lower shaft, E8TZ 3B676-A, and it was the replacement for anything from 2/81 through at least 1989.

3524-0_1_orig.thumb.jpg.0596ce7de8a2be07ce786af9ac588b90.jpg3524-2_1.thumb.jpg.a94426ba86c8590915006fecad250b4d.jpg

And here is what I think is the replacement, on the bottom, with the Bullnose part on the top.

Lower_Steering_Columns_Compared.thumb.jpg.02081bb27b31a00f3fbe6ddebcc212b8.jpg

I think there's some confusion. According to our page on steering columns there was a change in 1988 to a different lower shaft, E8TZ 3B676-A, and it was the replacement for anything from 2/81 through at least 1989.

And here is what I think is the replacement, on the bottom, with the Bullnose part on the top.

Thank you for that, Gary!

So I guess I need to find that E8TZ-A service part, or an '88/'89 truck for parts.

Thank you for that, Gary!

So I guess I need to find that E8TZ-A service part, or an '88/'89 truck for parts.

Yes, that appears to be the thing to go to.

Here's a shot of all three lower steering shafts:

Top: Bullnose

Middle: 1988 - 89

Bottom: 1990 on, I think. And with it should be another u-joint although it is hiding.

Lower_Steering_Shafts.thumb.jpg.3b2ba2060284c8e8b1e92abc2d9b8b56.jpg

Do you guys think this should be on our steering column page? We seem to have this discussion frequently. And do you agree with me that the bottom one must be the 1990 & on version?

Bottom: 1990 on, I think. And with it should be another u-joint although it is hiding.

Do you guys think this should be on our steering column page? We seem to have this discussion frequently. And do you agree with me that the bottom one must be the 1990 & on version?

Hmmm? This is what I found looking for E8TZ-3B676-A:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-STEERING-COUPLING-ASSEMBLY-E8TZ-3B676-A-/282109666244

http://www.ogatti.com/products/coupling-and-uj-steering-sha-e8tz-3b676-a.html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-F150-F250-F350-BRONCO-INTERMEDIATE-LOWER-STEERING-SHAFT-OEM-GREAT-SHAPE/264787327580?fits=Year%3A1990%7CModel%3AF-350%7CMake%3AFord&hash=item3da68dfa5c:g:mS0AAOSwTYRfA1YD

The first one is obviously badly mistaken. The second one may be right, although there is no picture, but is more expensive than a Borgeson. And the third one is correct, but still 'spensive.

Jim - If I had a spare I'd send it to you, but the one I have is meant for Dad's truck. Sorry. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Gary, bottom is 1990-1991, as far as I know, 1992-96/7 is (a) stub column and (b) two universals one at each end of the collapsible portion which runs from the column to the gear.

The first one is obviously badly mistaken. The second one may be right, although there is no picture, but is more expensive than a Borgeson. And the third one is correct, but still 'spensive.

Jim - If I had a spare I'd send it to you, but the one I have is meant for Dad's truck. Sorry. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Third one doesn't look correct to me.

I'll have to keep searching, but perhaps that number isn't right.

Third one doesn't look correct to me.

I'll have to keep searching, but perhaps that number isn't right.

Jim - Does it look right after I collapsed this one to be like the one in the link?

I KEEP getting hit with "the Nabble server is over capacity"

I want to do away with the rag joint.

I'm going to have to find a ready made answer or weld something together myself.