Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Gary,

Did you see the F250 Bullnose that Christopher Lott just listed for sale? It reminded me of your truck. It's gorgeous!

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-1986-f250-4x4-lariat-460/7152657538.html

I didn't see that, Cory, so thanks for the link. It is a beautiful truck. And I'll bet he gets the $14,650 he is asking.

It is a better looking truck than Big Blue, partially because of the paint and lack of rust. But BB has a few tricks up his sleeves. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I didn't see that, Cory, so thanks for the link. It is a beautiful truck. And I'll bet he gets the $14,650 he is asking.

It is a better looking truck than Big Blue, partially because of the paint and lack of rust. But BB has a few tricks up his sleeves. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, if the Ford number is there it looks to be partially concealed by the clamp. It looks like it is F5TE which would be correct for the part ID number.

IMG_2462.thumb.jpg.a99d2e24faa8817354d9da383709579c.jpg

Gary, if the Ford number is there it looks to be partially concealed by the clamp. It looks like it is F5TE which would be correct for the part ID number.

Thanks, Bill. I'll order the F5TZ-A hose.

By the way, Rock Auto shows using 5/8" heater hose for the bypass. Is that normal?

Thanks, Bill. I'll order the F5TZ-A hose.

By the way, Rock Auto shows using 5/8" heater hose for the bypass. Is that normal?

Gary,

Where are you getting these air cleaners without the drivers side 'scoop'?

They're not from 460's or 351 HO's...

I believe the bypass uses the same as the other heater hoses.

You're really on a tear!

If you keep up this pace BB may be driving for the (virtual) GTG. :nabble_anim_claps:

Gary,

Where are you getting these air cleaners without the drivers side 'scoop'?

They're not from 460's or 351 HO's...

I believe the bypass uses the same as the other heater hoses.

You're really on a tear!

If you keep up this pace BB may be driving for the (virtual) GTG. :nabble_anim_claps:

Actually, they are 351HO air cleaners. Unlike the 460's with the trap door on the driver's side rear, the 351HO cleaners only had a passenger's side snorkel. And I have another, so may make it into a dual.

Yes, yesterday was a good day. But now I'm really just down to the details, and in most cases have the parts on hand. So I should be able to make good progress. But some things I've either overlooked or changes in plans caused problems for the previous plans.

One of the latter is the air cleaner. To just get the truck going I may put an aftermarket cleaner on it and make the dual snorkel one later. I've also discovered that to get the plastic fitting that goes to the radiator support for "cold" air to fit properly on the driver's side I'm going to have to cut it apart, flip the exit, and glue it back together. If I recall correctly, Luke did that on Big Blackie, so there is a how-to on that. But that can come later.

And, there's the issue of a bracket for the throttle cable. There's no provision on the lower plenum for bolting a bracket on 'cause that is on the upper plenum for EFI. So today I'm going to see what can be done. I'm guessing that I'll have to make an aluminum bracket that will go under the heads of the rear bolts holding the carb to the adapter, and then mount the Bullnose throttle bracket to that. We shall see.

But, I do hope to be driving it in a couple of months. :nabble_anim_jump:

Actually, they are 351HO air cleaners. Unlike the 460's with the trap door on the driver's side rear, the 351HO cleaners only had a passenger's side snorkel. And I have another, so may make it into a dual.

Yes, yesterday was a good day. But now I'm really just down to the details, and in most cases have the parts on hand. So I should be able to make good progress. But some things I've either overlooked or changes in plans caused problems for the previous plans.

One of the latter is the air cleaner. To just get the truck going I may put an aftermarket cleaner on it and make the dual snorkel one later. I've also discovered that to get the plastic fitting that goes to the radiator support for "cold" air to fit properly on the driver's side I'm going to have to cut it apart, flip the exit, and glue it back together. If I recall correctly, Luke did that on Big Blackie, so there is a how-to on that. But that can come later.

And, there's the issue of a bracket for the throttle cable. There's no provision on the lower plenum for bolting a bracket on 'cause that is on the upper plenum for EFI. So today I'm going to see what can be done. I'm guessing that I'll have to make an aluminum bracket that will go under the heads of the rear bolts holding the carb to the adapter, and then mount the Bullnose throttle bracket to that. We shall see.

But, I do hope to be driving it in a couple of months. :nabble_anim_jump:

I guess the 351 H.O.'s I've seen have 460 air cleaners?

My 5.0 HO notch' had a dual snorkel and 4180.

That's why I have a whole Holley pit kit box.

I guess the 351 H.O.'s I've seen have 460 air cleaners?My 5.0 HO notch' had a dual snorkel and 4180.That's why I have a whole Holley pit kit box.
I don't know, Jim. But the two 351HO air cleaners I have came with only one snorkel.

Anyway, I need help, y'all. I made an adapter to put a stock throttle cable bracket on the EFI plenum, but I'm not really happy with it, so need some brainstorming.

First, here's the adapter itself with the stock throttle cable bracket c-clamped to it. It is just a 3/16" piece of aluminum plate I had laying around and I've not shortened it as I'm not sure it is going to work.

Raw_Throttle_Bracket_Plate.thumb.jpg.437bcbab15e1d5deebba5f4617a29389.jpg

And here it is on the back of the carb:

Backside_Of_Throttle_Bracket_Plate.thumb.jpg.9694621317ee1c6afa369cc493f8920e.jpg

And here is the carb mounted with the adapter and bracket in place and the throttle cable connected:

Frontside_Of_Throttle_Bracket_Plate.thumb.jpg.e900e1b62ae960aea90e55da21f30b31.jpg

But, that doesn't really show why I'm not sure it is going to work. Here's a shot from the side and you can see that the throttle cable is coming down at an angle to the carb:

Side_Of_Throttle_Bracket_Plate.thumb.jpg.471d005028ed62a2be7f1e27e0ba4913.jpg

Last, here's a video of it in action. What do you think? Will it work? What do you suggest to make it better?

I don't know, Jim. But the two 351HO air cleaners I have came with only one snorkel.

Anyway, I need help, y'all. I made an adapter to put a stock throttle cable bracket on the EFI plenum, but I'm not really happy with it, so need some brainstorming.

First, here's the adapter itself with the stock throttle cable bracket c-clamped to it. It is just a 3/16" piece of aluminum plate I had laying around and I've not shortened it as I'm not sure it is going to work.

And here it is on the back of the carb:

And here is the carb mounted with the adapter and bracket in place and the throttle cable connected:

But, that doesn't really show why I'm not sure it is going to work. Here's a shot from the side and you can see that the throttle cable is coming down at an angle to the carb:

Last, here's a video of it in action. What do you think? Will it work? What do you suggest to make it better?

I'm on my phone, and that first pic with the rusty bracket on the aluminum... I first thought it was a backsaw!Is the aluminum plate right on the EFI lower?Personally, I would ditch the aluminum to cut and weld steel.Attach it to two carb studs and chop the cable/speed control bracket down if need be.Price Motorsport sells an adapter plate, bungs, and I'm sure that have a way to mount the cable.But that's just me.I wouldn't 'borrow' something I intended to drive around with.And I'd make sure it came with everything I need.LSS, cut and weld.It will be better that way.

I'm on my phone, and that first pic with the rusty bracket on the aluminum... I first thought it was a backsaw!

Is the aluminum plate right on the EFI lower?

Personally, I would ditch the aluminum to cut and weld steel.

Attach it to two carb studs and chop the cable/speed control bracket down if need be.

Price Motorsport sells an adapter plate, bungs, and I'm sure that have a way to mount the cable.

But that's just me.

I wouldn't 'borrow' something I intended to drive around with.

And I'd make sure it came with everything I need.

LSS, cut and weld.

It will be better that way.

I second that he needs to ditch the aluminum, that's way too much flex.

I'm on my phone, and that first pic with the rusty bracket on the aluminum... I first thought it was a backsaw!

Is the aluminum plate right on the EFI lower?

Personally, I would ditch the aluminum to cut and weld steel.

Attach it to two carb studs and chop the cable/speed control bracket down if need be.

Price Motorsport sells an adapter plate, bungs, and I'm sure that have a way to mount the cable.

But that's just me.

I wouldn't 'borrow' something I intended to drive around with.

And I'd make sure it came with everything I need.

LSS, cut and weld.

It will be better that way.

Jim - I'll get to the material and design in a minute. But do you see a problem with the bracket being high, as is shown in my pic from the side? The video shows that it works, but.....

But no, the plate is not on the lower plenum. It is sitting on top of the back of the Edelbrock and is held on with the two rear bolts.

As for the material, I thought about using steel angle but wanted to try it with aluminum first as it is far easier to work with. Now that I have the profile to fit the back of the carb I can transfer that to a piece of angle. And then weld another piece of angle at right angles to go back to support the bracket. Then I'll trim the bracket so it fits the angle, placing the bolts front to rear along the angle.

But, if the bracket is too high I could section it, taking maybe 1" out of it, and weld it back together