Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I inherited a set of those A/C line clips, but threw them out when I downsized because I didn't have a truck they could be used on. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That F450 had some gunk in the system, that's for sure.

For $8 delivered it is hard to beat that set of tools. And they should work on the EFI fuel lines as well as A/C lines.

I inherited a set of those A/C line clips, but threw them out when I downsized because I didn't have a truck they could be used on. :nabble_smiley_cry:

That F450 had some gunk in the system, that's for sure.

Shaun, I think 'the giving truck's AC went to Bill in VA.

And this is Hucks plenum, etc.

But, really, in the heat of "I'll take this", "what about that?",....

I get kind of lost.

I remember Bill got the standard column, entire dash and engine side plenum at the least.

Gary got 3 heavy Black and yellow Home Depot totes, and recently a clutch slave.

I get kind of lost.

I remember Bill got the standard column, entire dash and engine side plenum at the least.

Gary got 3 heavy Black and yellow Home Depot totes, and recently a clutch slave.

The 450's A/C must have gone to Bill as it didn't come to me. I got the EFI system, inc plenums, injectors & rails, wiring, throttle body, inlet plumbing, etc. And the C-II power steering pump & bracket, hydroboost, pedal, hoses, etc. Distributor, electrical harness, and Jim's own alternator. Plus lots, and lots more.

I get kind of lost.

I got the complete AC system except for the lines which you cut to get them apart.

I got the complete AC system except for the lines which you cut to get them apart.

I confused the two trucks, I wasn't around when Huck and the F450 were being stripped. Now that I think about it, Huck was a brick F250 Gary pulled parts from, and the F450 was a brick or aero in Jim's neck of the woods, correct?

I confused the two trucks, I wasn't around when Huck and the F450 were being stripped. Now that I think about it, Huck was a brick F250 Gary pulled parts from, and the F450 was a brick or aero in Jim's neck of the woods, correct?

Yes. Huck was a 1990 F250 w/a 460/E4OD combo. It was a half truck as it was from the back of the cab forward. The engine provided F3 heads, which are the best of the EFI heads, and other bits. The tranny was professionally rebuilt and is in Dad's truck. The master cylinder/proportioning valve lines are on Big Blue. The whole A/C system and underhood HVAC plenum is going in Big Blue. And many other parts have found homes as well.

So while Jim calls the F450 "the truck that keeps giving", Huck did/does as well.

Yes. Huck was a 1990 F250 w/a 460/E4OD combo. It was a half truck as it was from the back of the cab forward. The engine provided F3 heads, which are the best of the EFI heads, and other bits. The tranny was professionally rebuilt and is in Dad's truck. The master cylinder/proportioning valve lines are on Big Blue. The whole A/C system and underhood HVAC plenum is going in Big Blue. And many other parts have found homes as well.

So while Jim calls the F450 "the truck that keeps giving", Huck did/does as well.

Yup, they both keep giving!

I parted a beautiful '96 Super Duty With a 460 and a Zf-5.

4x4 tailshaft because of the parking brake.

10 lug hubs and a MASSIVE rear end.

Yup, they both keep giving!

I parted a beautiful '96 Super Duty With a 460 and a Zf-5.

4x4 tailshaft because of the parking brake.

10 lug hubs and a MASSIVE rear end.

Got a bit more done on the A/C system today. Apparently leaving the flush in the evaporator overnight worked as today things poured out nicely. So I ran more flush through and blew it out several times, and it came out clean.

Then I turned to the hoses. Ran flush through all of them as well. And then plugged them and cleaned the outside of them, one of which was gross. Got them cleaned up and then painted what I think is a muffler in one of the lines as it had been painted and was rusty. Here it is in the powder/paint booth:

AC_Hose_Cleaned__Painted.thumb.jpg.01e8d2de9da996421cfbadae70d589d7.jpg

Next was the blower motor. I took a look at the squirrel cage on it and found it was filthy. So I pulled it and cleaned it. Lubed the motor just a bit, put it back together, and added self-adhesive foam weatherstrip as a gasket.

Last, I added some foam to the evaporator and put it in the plenum, as shown below. But I still need to make a gasket, so I'm thinking I may paint, rather than spray, PAM on both surfaces as Jim suggested, line the joint with The Right Stuff, and put it together. Then I can trim the excess after it sets up and reasonably expect to be able to get it apart later if I need to do so. Thoughts?

HVAC_Plenum_with_Motor__Evaporator_In.thumb.jpg.9ee98a51c94671448854dccadf145b4b.jpg

Next was the blower motor. I took a look at the squirrel cage on it and found it was filthy. So I pulled it and cleaned it. Lubed the motor just a bit, put it back together, and added self-adhesive foam weatherstrip as a gasket.

Thoughts?

Didn't you tell us, long ago, that your Dad would drill a small hole and lubricate blower motor bearings?

Everything looks good!

Thoughts?

Didn't you tell us, long ago, that your Dad would drill a small hole and lubricate blower motor bearings?

Everything looks good!

Yep. When I got his truck the front/outside bearing had been lubed that way.

But I didn't do that on this one. It is a NAPA replacement and runs very smoothly. But while I had the fan off I sat the motor in the vise so the shaft was vertical and put some light machine oil on the bearing and moved the shaft up and down. Then I let it sit on there to seep in and later wiped the excess off.

Anyway, thanks! When I get the side cover sealed I'll be ready to install it. Just have to get the gaskets from James at Detroit Muscle Technologies.

I guess I haven't related that story here. I had a particularly bad time communicating with James, which you can read about here. But that appears to be due to two things: First, he's swamped due to everyone staying home due to the virus and working on projects; second because he is relying on people ordering from the website, but I just wanted two pieces that he didn't have listed separately so I couldn't order them.

In the end he is sending them gratis. :nabble_smiley_good: