Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

As for the plenum being "cool", I hope so. Sure will have been a lot of work if it doesn't do better than the previous system. It was marginal, and on a hot day the fan had to be run on High most of the time. However, there was no headliner in the truck and several leaks through the firewall that didn't help.

So, as I go back together with the interior I'll be adding insulation in the floor as well as a headliner - probably the Highliner - with sound deadening and insulation above it. Hopefully the FS10 compressor, larger condensor, insulated plenum, sealed recirculation door, and insulation in the floor and headliner will help.

Gary, you will need to shop here:

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/clothing_in_antarctica.php

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

As for the plenum being "cool", I hope so. Sure will have been a lot of work if it doesn't do better than the previous system. It was marginal, and on a hot day the fan had to be run on High most of the time. However, there was no headliner in the truck and several leaks through the firewall that didn't help.

So, as I go back together with the interior I'll be adding insulation in the floor as well as a headliner - probably the Highliner - with sound deadening and insulation above it. Hopefully the FS10 compressor, larger condensor, insulated plenum, sealed recirculation door, and insulation in the floor and headliner will help.

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/science/clothing_in_antarctica.php

I think Gary's saying he needs some of these to stay comfortable

If I can hang sides of beef in Darth's crew cab with essentially the same system and not all the extra inside the casing insulation, hopefully it will be good enough for a max of 3 people.

If I can hang sides of beef in Darth's crew cab with essentially the same system and not all the extra inside the casing insulation, hopefully it will be good enough for a max of 3 people.

I think with the previous system I needed the Cool Shirt. But with the new system I may need the Antarctic clothing if Bill is right.

Bill - What orifice are you using?

Ok, the plenum's insulating is done. Here are a few shots of it. But, the blower motor and resistor pack are on in for test fitting as I need to put gaskets on them.

And, speaking of gaskets, I emailed James of Detroit Muscle Technologies to tell him what I needed, including the blower motor gasket. He responded this morning saying he'd look for the Bricknose motor gasket and get me a Paypal invoice up. But I've not seen anything yet today so will call him tomorrow if I've not heard back. If he doesn't have it I think I'll make one using the gasket material I used on the blend door.

So, here's the front view:

HVAC_Plenum_Done_-_Front.thumb.jpg.aecfcbda714831fb1a4690bc13b6f357.jpg

Passenger's side:

HVAC_Plenum_Done_-_Passengers_Side.thumb.jpg.c2a8e217186316d8545cc892699c8344.jpg

Firewall side:

HVAC_Plenum_Done_-_Firewall_Side.thumb.jpg.f7fb0a5cb5ec8673a0761154bdd64fe4.jpg

And last, the top as you've already seen the cover:

HVAC_Plenum_Done_-_Top_View.thumb.jpg.50161c605b5306b507100888d0b29598.jpg

I think with the previous system I needed the Cool Shirt. But with the new system I may need the Antarctic clothing if Bill is right.

Ok, the plenum's insulating is done. Here are a few shots of it. But, the blower motor and resistor pack are on in for test fitting as I need to put gaskets on them.

And, speaking of gaskets, I emailed James of Detroit Muscle Technologies to tell him what I needed, including the blower motor gasket. He responded this morning saying he'd look for the Bricknose motor gasket and get me a Paypal invoice up. But I've not seen anything yet today so will call him tomorrow if I've not heard back. If he doesn't have it I think I'll make one using the gasket material I used on the blend door.

Passenger's side:

Firewall side:

Maybe I should be envious of y'all with AC?

Passenger's side:

Firewall side:

Gary, I think red, but it's been over 10 years since it was put together. Maybe when I change engines since it has to come apart, I will look and document it.

Gary, I think red, but it's been over 10 years since it was put together. Maybe when I change engines since it has to come apart, I will look and document it.

Bill - It doesn't have to come apart. Takes two people or a looooong pole, but it isn't that hard to do.

Jim - Big Blue is the first Bullnose I've had which had A/C that worked. But, I wasn't impressed, in spite of the A/C shop saying the numbers were spot-on. So, while you are missing something, it isn't the best thing since sliced bread.

The plenum looks 'cool'! :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Like something ready to be launched into space.

It does look like something Elon Musk would be playing with...

That thing better be blowing cold air, otherwise I imagine someone is going to be pretty upset, I know I would! I hope it does great Gary.

It does look like something Elon Musk would be playing with...

That thing better be blowing cold air, otherwise I imagine someone is going to be pretty upset, I know I would! I hope it does great Gary.

LOL! Even Janey said it looks like something that belongs on the international space station.

Speaking of "blowing cold", I had a conversation with Brandon/Bruno2 this morning. He's still working on his son Kris' truck's A/C, and he's come to the conclusion that his combination of components is at fault. He's using R512A, which he's used very successfully in other 134A systems, but he went with the smallest oriface available this time and thinks that combo may be causing the problem. He's going to change out the oriface tube and report back.

That conversation got me to thinking about maybe going with 512, but then I realized that I'm trying to make every decision with regard to what my offspring might run into if they need to have the truck serviced. And thinking of it what way made it obvious that the mainstream 134A is the way to go.

LOL! Even Janey said it looks like something that belongs on the international space station.

Speaking of "blowing cold", I had a conversation with Brandon/Bruno2 this morning. He's still working on his son Kris' truck's A/C, and he's come to the conclusion that his combination of components is at fault. He's using R512A, which he's used very successfully in other 134A systems, but he went with the smallest oriface available this time and thinks that combo may be causing the problem. He's going to change out the oriface tube and report back.

That conversation got me to thinking about maybe going with 512, but then I realized that I'm trying to make every decision with regard to what my offspring might run into if they need to have the truck serviced. And thinking of it what way made it obvious that the mainstream 134A is the way to go.

Why not propane?

It's a great refrigerant and it's not going to disappear any time soon.