Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Jim. Fitting it wasn't too hard. But I made SURE it was clean first and used brake cleaner to wipe it down. That meant I could lay a piece on lightly, make an impression where I needed to cut, and then get it off to cut and put it back. And then after a bit of pressure it was well and truly ON.

But, as you can tell, originality isn't quite my thing. Let's see, it doesn't have the original engine, nor electrical system, nor transmission, nor front axle, nor front springs, nor A/C system. Nor will it have the original fuel system. In fact, this F250 is really an F350 save for the VIN and badging, and if you average out all the parts its probably closer to a 1990 than an '85. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I wonder where that would put Darth, 1986 chassis, 1993 Sterling 10.25" with the wider brakes, 1990 front sheet metal, 1996 wiring (mostly, rear harness is extended from the 1990 F250). 1996 engine controls, 1990 E4OD, 1996 HVAC, 1996 interior except for 2001 Lincoln Continental front seats. 1996 bed and rear fenders.

I wonder where that would put Darth, 1986 chassis, 1993 Sterling 10.25" with the wider brakes, 1990 front sheet metal, 1996 wiring (mostly, rear harness is extended from the 1990 F250). 1996 engine controls, 1990 E4OD, 1996 HVAC, 1996 interior except for 2001 Lincoln Continental front seats. 1996 bed and rear fenders.

Looks like Darth is even more unsure of his heritage than Big Blue is. Johnny's Cadillac's got nothing on them!

Shaun - What do you call your truck?

Looks like Darth is even more unsure of his heritage than Big Blue is. Johnny's Cadillac's got nothing on them!

Shaun - What do you call your truck?

Legally, it's a 1990 F350, but with a 1986 frame (stamped E7TE), 1995 front axle, 1987 transmission and transfer case, 1986 dash, 1986 A/C, 1985 460, 1990 steering column, 1983 radiator support, 1980 emblems, 1980 park lights, 1980 grille, 1985 rear bumper, and 1990 cab. Probably missed some things, but it's definitely a nineteen eighty ninety something. :nabble_smiley_good:

Legally, it's a 1990 F350, but with a 1986 frame (stamped E7TE), 1995 front axle, 1987 transmission and transfer case, 1986 dash, 1986 A/C, 1985 460, 1990 steering column, 1983 radiator support, 1980 emblems, 1980 park lights, 1980 grille, 1985 rear bumper, and 1990 cab. Probably missed some things, but it's definitely a nineteen eighty ninety something. :nabble_smiley_good:

Yep, we have mutts. May never win Best Of Show, but they are what we want them to be. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for what I did this morning, I was working on the HVAC plenum cover when Janey sent a text to say I had a small package in the mail. Yep, it was the inserts for the A/C bolt holes in the Saginaw bracket. Man am I glad I quit trying to make them and bought these. I had them installed in less than 2 minutes - with orange thread locker. :nabble_anim_jump:

Saginaw_Bracket_Inserts.thumb.jpg.f0339617ef65f6dc97eb93ee1187710f.jpg

Yep, we have mutts. May never win Best Of Show, but they are what we want them to be. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for what I did this morning, I was working on the HVAC plenum cover when Janey sent a text to say I had a small package in the mail. Yep, it was the inserts for the A/C bolt holes in the Saginaw bracket. Man am I glad I quit trying to make them and bought these. I had them installed in less than 2 minutes - with orange thread locker. :nabble_anim_jump:

Sometimes it pays to farm out! :nabble_anim_claps:

Sometimes it pays to farm out! :nabble_anim_claps:

Yes, David, it does. And as soon as the orange thread locker set up this happened: (Looks a bit .... old? Dirty?)

AC_Compressor_Installed.thumb.jpg.ea3a10a1abdee8cb1a137cf252fcc280.jpg

And I finished the HVAC plenum cover. Here it is in place:

HVAC_Cover_In_Place.thumb.jpg.c9e4c6a2fe6c543384b6cf932ab91bfb.jpg

And, I may or may not have gotten carried away: :nabble_smiley_happy:

Inside_Of_HVAC_Cover.thumb.jpg.bf9177f9e0c3d0616dd76813699779c7.jpg

Yep, that was the inside of the cover, and here's the view with it in place. Two layers with a total of R6 and a reflective layer on both sides. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Outside_Of_HVAC_Plenum.thumb.jpg.43b1425656c6c6c06062cdb65c13c3e4.jpg

Yes, David, it does. And as soon as the orange thread locker set up this happened: (Looks a bit .... old? Dirty?)

And I finished the HVAC plenum cover. Here it is in place:

And, I may or may not have gotten carried away: :nabble_smiley_happy:

Yep, that was the inside of the cover, and here's the view with it in place. Two layers with a total of R6 and a reflective layer on both sides. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well done Gary!

I'd guess your air conditioning will be picking up next to no underhood heat once it purges the plenum.

Way more progress than I am making.

And progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Well done Gary!

I'd guess your air conditioning will be picking up next to no underhood heat once it purges the plenum.

Way more progress than I am making.

And progress is good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I think heat is going to have a hard time getting in there.

Now I need to figure out how to get the recirculation door out so I can put new foam on it. I really want to ensure that I don't have outside air coming in since I expect to be on many dirt roads. And the foam needs to be replaced. Anyone know how to get it off?

Also, I'm considering how to seal all of this back together. On the cover Ford appears to have used rope caulk, which is really sticky and might pull the aluminum tape if the cover has to be removed. So I'm wondering about placing lubrication on the two halves and then using The Right Stuff to seal it. Thoughts?

Similarly, I'm thinking of using The Right Stuff to put the whole HVAC plenum on the firewall. I do have a good gasket for the passenger's side but will have to make one for the driver's side opening. Again, thoughts?

Thanks, Jim. Yes, I think heat is going to have a hard time getting in there.

Now I need to figure out how to get the recirculation door out so I can put new foam on it. I really want to ensure that I don't have outside air coming in since I expect to be on many dirt roads. And the foam needs to be replaced. Anyone know how to get it off?

Also, I'm considering how to seal all of this back together. On the cover Ford appears to have used rope caulk, which is really sticky and might pull the aluminum tape if the cover has to be removed. So I'm wondering about placing lubrication on the two halves and then using The Right Stuff to seal it. Thoughts?

Similarly, I'm thinking of using The Right Stuff to put the whole HVAC plenum on the firewall. I do have a good gasket for the passenger's side but will have to make one for the driver's side opening. Again, thoughts?

I'm not a huge fan of RTV so I would try to make a gasket for the firewall.

But now that you've encased the plenum halves in foil wrap I might be tempted to use it there.

Perhaps spray one side with WD-40 or even PAM and apply the silicone to the other.

Then it should remain adhered to A or B side and release from the other.