Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Jim - I was wishing I had some of the orange today. The way I was installing the adapters with an 8mm bolt inside as a driver scared me away from using red for fear of locking the bolt in the adapter and the adapter in the bracket. And, apparently I locked an adapter to a bolt with blue, so my worry was reasonable.

But the use of a pencil as a driver was a breakthrough. Given the taper of a pencil it digs in when driving, but backs out easily. So I put one in with red and it worked.

Bill - The tolerance is tight. The pic below shows my first attempt, which broke through the side. To start that one I used a small center drill to create the hole, but I saw some flex. So on the 2nd one I used a much larger center drill that probably didn't flex as much so put the hole closer to the center of the bolt. And that time the drill didn't break through.

So, you would use your new lathe? Or do you need me to make some for you?

I will have to look at the Saginaw bracket tomorrow.

I will have to look at the Saginaw bracket tomorrow.

Bill - Did you take a look at your Saginaw bracket? Just checking to see if I need to make adapters for you.

But, my success ratio isn't the world's best. The tapping is very tight/hard, even with lube, and I've had several twist off. However, I may have just found out why. My Craftsman tap drill chart says that M8x1.25 should have a 17/64" drill. But this chart says it should be an I bit. The 17/64" is .266" while the I bit is .272". That may make a big difference.

Right now I have one adapter still stuck in the die since the blue thread lock didn't pull it out. And another stuck on an 8mm bolt. And a third stuck on the 8mm tap.

So I'm off to get a haircut, after 3 months, and then I'm going to pick up more thread lock. I'll get both blue and orange if they have it.

:nabble_smiley_cry:

Bill - Did you take a look at your Saginaw bracket? Just checking to see if I need to make adapters for you.

But, my success ratio isn't the world's best. The tapping is very tight/hard, even with lube, and I've had several twist off. However, I may have just found out why. My Craftsman tap drill chart says that M8x1.25 should have a 17/64" drill. But this chart says it should be an I bit. The 17/64" is .266" while the I bit is .272". That may make a big difference.

Right now I have one adapter still stuck in the die since the blue thread lock didn't pull it out. And another stuck on an 8mm bolt. And a third stuck on the 8mm tap.

So I'm off to get a haircut, after 3 months, and then I'm going to pick up more thread lock. I'll get both blue and orange if they have it.

:nabble_smiley_cry:

No, I didn't, I was fighting with Mopar wiring. So much fun, unlike GM or Ford, circuits are alpha-numeric and the circuit designation can change from one year to the next, and even from one body to the next in the same year.

No, I didn't, I was fighting with Mopar wiring. So much fun, unlike GM or Ford, circuits are alpha-numeric and the circuit designation can change from one year to the next, and even from one body to the next in the same year.

Don't sweat it. If using an I drill bit makes the difference I think it will then I will make you a set as well.

But that's assuming that I get everything apart tomorrow. I did stop at O'Reilly's and asked for blue and orange thread locker. The assistant manager looked at me funny and said "Orange?" Sure enough, they had it. So I used a thorough coat of blue on two of my problem children and a thorough coat of orange on the other.

What chemical do I need to soak things in to get the thread locker to let loose? Acetone?

Don't sweat it. If using an I drill bit makes the difference I think it will then I will make you a set as well.

But that's assuming that I get everything apart tomorrow. I did stop at O'Reilly's and asked for blue and orange thread locker. The assistant manager looked at me funny and said "Orange?" Sure enough, they had it. So I used a thorough coat of blue on two of my problem children and a thorough coat of orange on the other.

What chemical do I need to soak things in to get the thread locker to let loose? Acetone?

Gary, the mount is M10X1.5 thread. Thread locker, I always used heat to break it loose, Acetone might work, try looking for a data sheet on the stuff, I imagine it was all originally Loctite brand but I suspect the patents ran out (unlike Ford's on the keypad for the RKE system).

Gary, the mount is M10X1.5 thread. Thread locker, I always used heat to break it loose, Acetone might work, try looking for a data sheet on the stuff, I imagine it was all originally Loctite brand but I suspect the patents ran out (unlike Ford's on the keypad for the RKE system).

Ok, just as I suspected. So you need some adapters. If the larger bit works for me then I might as well make several and send you four. I hope to find out tomorrow.

Acetone or MEK should work.

Ideally, DCM but you don't see much of that on the shelf these days.

Acetone or MEK should work.

Ideally, DCM but you don't see much of that on the shelf these days.

Ok. We'll see what I need to do - after I get things apart.

Interesting that we've just now figured out that the Sag brackets take M10 bolts and the C-II brackets take M8 bolts. You'd think that would have come out long ago. I'm guessing guys just ream out the compressors and use the larger bolts. But then every time you replace the compressor you have to do that.

Ok. We'll see what I need to do - after I get things apart.

Interesting that we've just now figured out that the Sag brackets take M10 bolts and the C-II brackets take M8 bolts. You'd think that would have come out long ago. I'm guessing guys just ream out the compressors and use the larger bolts. But then every time you replace the compressor you have to do that.

Or use an E-series compressor.

Or use an E-series compressor.

Assuming that the hoses fit. I thought about that but decided I wasn't that interested. I want to be able to tell the kids "It is a 1990 F-Series A/C system lock, stock, and barrel." Not "It is a 1990 F-Series A/C system, but with a 1990 E-Series compressor."

LOL! It is going to be confusing enough to say:

• 1996 California-spec 460 w/EFI

• 1995 Superduty hydroboost brake booster & master cylinder

• 1995 F-Series underhood electrical system inc alternator and PDB

• 1995 F350 front axle & ball joints

• 199X Superduty front springs

• 1995 E-Series Saginaw power steering pump

What have I missed? There's a TON of changes. I sure hope they are for the better!