Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Ok, got some of the adapters made. I say "some" because I'm not sure how many of them are salvageable. One is installed with blue Loctite and it stayed. Anther was installed with blue but it backed out with the 8mm bolt I used to install it and won't come off the bolt. Yet another is stuck in the 10mm die and is probably a write-off.

But, a fourth one was successfully installed with red Loctite using a wooden pencil to drive it. The pencil threaded in fairly well to the 8mm threads and then backed out nicely after the Loctite set up. So I'm happy with it as well as the other that stayed with blue Loctite.

And here's the compressor installed with two of the bolts tightened down. Hopefully tomorrow I can make two more adapters and get them installed and move on.

Interesting, I will have to look at my Saginaw bracket and I may be doing the same adapter making you are.

Putting that new lathe to use! :nabble_smiley_good:

Remember, there's now Permatex Orange thread locker. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

It still works with primers 'T' and 'P'

Jim - I was wishing I had some of the orange today. The way I was installing the adapters with an 8mm bolt inside as a driver scared me away from using red for fear of locking the bolt in the adapter and the adapter in the bracket. And, apparently I locked an adapter to a bolt with blue, so my worry was reasonable.

But the use of a pencil as a driver was a breakthrough. Given the taper of a pencil it digs in when driving, but backs out easily. So I put one in with red and it worked.

Bill - The tolerance is tight. The pic below shows my first attempt, which broke through the side. To start that one I used a small center drill to create the hole, but I saw some flex. So on the 2nd one I used a much larger center drill that probably didn't flex as much so put the hole closer to the center of the bolt. And that time the drill didn't break through.

So, you would use your new lathe? Or do you need me to make some for you?

AC_Pump_Adapter_Fail.thumb.jpg.04ae145cdca8c42bd92c0111798d3330.jpg

Jim - I was wishing I had some of the orange today. The way I was installing the adapters with an 8mm bolt inside as a driver scared me away from using red for fear of locking the bolt in the adapter and the adapter in the bracket. And, apparently I locked an adapter to a bolt with blue, so my worry was reasonable.

But the use of a pencil as a driver was a breakthrough. Given the taper of a pencil it digs in when driving, but backs out easily. So I put one in with red and it worked.

Bill - The tolerance is tight. The pic below shows my first attempt, which broke through the side. To start that one I used a small center drill to create the hole, but I saw some flex. So on the 2nd one I used a much larger center drill that probably didn't flex as much so put the hole closer to the center of the bolt. And that time the drill didn't break through.

So, you would use your new lathe? Or do you need me to make some for you?

Have you considered just drilling and tapping a 10mm bolt?

Then you wouldn't need the die at all

Or you could single point it on the lathe.

Have you considered just drilling and tapping a 10mm bolt?

Then you wouldn't need the die at all

Or you could single point it on the lathe.

That's what I'm doing. I have several 4.8 10MM bolts that drill easily and tap ok. That's what you see in the pic above.

But I had an adapter with a rough spot, so ran it in a die using an 8mm bolt to drive it. But it stuck and the bolt backed out. Unfortunately its length is the same as the thickness of the die, so it is sitting pretty much flush on both sides. Any thoughts to save it?

That's what I'm doing. I have several 4.8 10MM bolts that drill easily and tap ok. That's what you see in the pic above.

But I had an adapter with a rough spot, so ran it in a die using an 8mm bolt to drive it. But it stuck and the bolt backed out. Unfortunately its length is the same as the thickness of the die, so it is sitting pretty much flush on both sides. Any thoughts to save it?

Were it me, I'd use a tiny carbide burr in my Foredom tool to cut the sleeve between the teeth of the die, and it would fall out.

Dental surgery is not on everybody's playlist though.

Were it me, I'd use a tiny carbide burr in my Foredom tool to cut the sleeve between the teeth of the die, and it would fall out.

Dental surgery is not on everybody's playlist though.

I don't have a burr that small. But I have EZ Outs so may be able to back it out. I was just hoping to save it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I don't have a burr that small. But I have EZ Outs so may be able to back it out. I was just hoping to save it. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I think what's happened is the thread either crushed or stretched.

Do you have and freeze spray or circuit board cleaner?

If not you might try putting it in the freezer.

Heck, you could always loctite the 8mm back in there and use it to get the spacer out.

Then let it soak in acetone or something until the thread lock turned to goo.

There's always a way out...

I think what's happened is the thread either crushed or stretched.

Do you have and freeze spray or circuit board cleaner?

If not you might try putting it in the freezer.

Heck, you could always loctite the 8mm back in there and use it to get the spacer out.

Then let it soak in acetone or something until the thread lock turned to goo.

There's always a way out...

No freeze spray, but I might go out and put it in the fridge and see if it'll come out in the morn. If not, the thread lock idea is a good one. :nabble_smiley_good:

No freeze spray, but I might go out and put it in the fridge and see if it'll come out in the morn. If not, the thread lock idea is a good one. :nabble_smiley_good:

We used to use a dewar of liquid nitrogen to drop bearings into Ducati cases.

It's amazing how much steel moves without damage, deep cold