Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

• 2 weeks later...

There's also Amazon's 'Small Parts' and plenty of other places to look for small batches of hardware.

There are reasons most suspension hardware is rated grade 5

Ok, time for an update! The twins helped me in the shop, and we got several things accomplished.

First, we removed all of the rusted screws and nuts from the Warn bumper and replaced them with stainless. Initially I had them hold the ratchet with the Allen bit on it to keep the button-headed screws from turning, but after that worked so well they turned the ratchet to tighten the nuts from the bottom. In fact, in a couple of places it was a huge pain for me to reach back into a recess to get two of the nut/washer combos on, so they did it.

Here they are with the finished bumper:

Isla__Ian_with_the_Warn_Bumper.thumb.jpg.a17335c418b5b0a5487a3512cd099f0c.jpg

However, the two bolts on the front, those carriage bolts, didn't pan out quite how I'd planned. The stainless bolts I ordered were too small. Here they are holding the original bolts after they media-blasted them and we powder coated them Reflective Chrome.

But in the background you can see some of the tools we used, including chrome polish, which they used to remove the rust from the original bolts and screws. And, you can see the "bull horn", which they delighted in honking. (If it is a bull horn would it bellow?) We compared it to the factory horn, which they declared wimpy. The bull horn was a winner!

Ian__Isla_with_the_Powder_Coated_Bumper_Bolts_II.thumb.jpg.7b785d17adc4ea72380d29e74d28ef6c.jpg

And then, with the work done they played with the shop crane. I think I need to rig up a seat so they can take turns raising and lowering each other with it.

Ian__Isla_with_the_Shop_Crane.thumb.jpg.df1f63a26393dbeda42f68201b2d5823.jpg

Ok, time for an update! The twins helped me in the shop, and we got several things accomplished.

First, we removed all of the rusted screws and nuts from the Warn bumper and replaced them with stainless. Initially I had them hold the ratchet with the Allen bit on it to keep the button-headed screws from turning, but after that worked so well they turned the ratchet to tighten the nuts from the bottom. In fact, in a couple of places it was a huge pain for me to reach back into a recess to get two of the nut/washer combos on, so they did it.

However, the two bolts on the front, those carriage bolts, didn't pan out quite how I'd planned. The stainless bolts I ordered were too small. Here they are holding the original bolts after they media-blasted them and we powder coated them Reflective Chrome.

But in the background you can see some of the tools we used, including chrome polish, which they used to remove the rust from the original bolts and screws. And, you can see the "bull horn", which they delighted in honking. (If it is a bull horn would it bellow?) We compared it to the factory horn, which they declared wimpy. The bull horn was a winner!

And then, with the work done they played with the shop crane. I think I need to rig up a seat so they can take turns raising and lowering each other with it.

Looks like they had fun, helped and learned a few things. Matt was given free run of a good friends shop when he was maybe 12. Roy asked him to get a pair of duck bill pliers, after perusing the plier drawer for a short time he brought Roy the correct ones. When I asked him later he said it was then only pair that looked like a duck's head.

The grantwins look like they were all smiles!

Put some padding on the boom before you turn them loose with a bosun's chair.

The grantwins look like they were all smiles!

Put some padding on the boom before you turn them loose with a bosun's chair.

I remember when those two little ones were much smaller. They sure have grown fast! Or maybe I'm just getting that old! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Glad you're out spending time with the grandchildren and teaching them a thing or two. :nabble_smiley_good:

I remember when those two little ones were much smaller. They sure have grown fast! Or maybe I'm just getting that old! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Glad you're out spending time with the grandchildren and teaching them a thing or two. :nabble_smiley_good:

They certainly did have fun. As did I. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Both of them asked at different points what the turn signal bulb is on the driver's side as it was hanging out of the opening on the radiator support. So when we were done I hooked up the battery and showed them. Then I tried to show them the marker lights, only to find that the driver's side wasn't working and the passenger's side bulb wasn't in the lens. I couldn't get my hand in either side with the batteries there, but they were able to get in there and fix things.

As for the bosun's chair, the boom doesn't come down all the way to the floor, so I don't think it can hit them if we keep the chain short. But that's our next project, and I'll be sure to make sure it can't hit and pad it if it can. Thanks.

And they certainly are growing! Janey measures them each time they are here and both have grown ~4" since last fall.

Here's a pic of us together:

The_Twins__Pop_Pop.thumb.jpg.347b276c674c4079e8ca82cda9fefdc0.jpg

They certainly did have fun. As did I. :nabble_smiley_grin:

Both of them asked at different points what the turn signal bulb is on the driver's side as it was hanging out of the opening on the radiator support. So when we were done I hooked up the battery and showed them. Then I tried to show them the marker lights, only to find that the driver's side wasn't working and the passenger's side bulb wasn't in the lens. I couldn't get my hand in either side with the batteries there, but they were able to get in there and fix things.

As for the bosun's chair, the boom doesn't come down all the way to the floor, so I don't think it can hit them if we keep the chain short. But that's our next project, and I'll be sure to make sure it can't hit and pad it if it can. Thanks.

And they certainly are growing! Janey measures them each time they are here and both have grown ~4" since last fall.

Here's a pic of us together:

:nabble_smiley_good: Some small hands would definitely be useful in many places around the truck! Enjoy the rest of your time with them Gary.

:nabble_smiley_good: Some small hands would definitely be useful in many places around the truck! Enjoy the rest of your time with them Gary.

Will do, Rob. We are having a blast. We've spent several days shooting off the water rockets, and have more of that to come. And, we've spent three days at the lake, with more to come as well.

Will do, Rob. We are having a blast. We've spent several days shooting off the water rockets, and have more of that to come. And, we've spent three days at the lake, with more to come as well.

Well, my SiL helped me put the A/C system in place today. And, there's a problem - the compressor doesn't mount to the bracket. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Thoughts? Make an adapter bracket? New compressor?

AC_Compressor_Doesn_t_Fit_Bracket.thumb.jpg.ab9ca8fd8a9422b75d8b863ef70d553d.jpg

Well, my SiL helped me put the A/C system in place today. And, there's a problem - the compressor doesn't mount to the bracket. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Thoughts? Make an adapter bracket? New compressor?

Oh no.:nabble_smiley_argh: Depending on the age of that compressor I'd go with a new one. They're no guarantee, but a new one should last at least 2 years(of course you hope much longer) and you'll want a good working system for any big adventures in your near future.