Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Yup. Exactly. :nabble_smiley_good:

Got nothing done "to" the truck today as I was supposed to be in clean-up mode on the shop since the kids come in on Saturday. But, little cleaning got done 'cause I mailed a package and picked up the scan of the '84 brochure. And then I scanned the '84 Light Truck Data Book.

Did I ever mention that I HATE to clean? Any excuse at all and I'm doing something else. Well, tomorrow I hope to install the heat shield that came in today for the dip stick. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Got nothing done "to" the truck today as I was supposed to be in clean-up mode on the shop since the kids come in on Saturday. But, little cleaning got done 'cause I mailed a package and picked up the scan of the '84 brochure. And then I scanned the '84 Light Truck Data Book.

Did I ever mention that I HATE to clean? Any excuse at all and I'm doing something else. Well, tomorrow I hope to install the heat shield that came in today for the dip stick. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Didn't get a lot of cleaning of the shop done today, but some. And then I "played". Put the speedo cable into the t-case and secured it.

Got the heat shield installed on the dip stick:

Dip_Stick_Insulation_On_-_Top.thumb.jpg.ed1a1276671c78573baebd1059c8cb8a.jpg

Dip_Stick_Insulation_On_-_Bottom.thumb.jpg.1e23e672bdb54d781dab3d9ef9662167.jpg

Rusted_Bumper_Screw.thumb.jpg.3fa844385fe5299607a02334635bc7dc.jpg

Rust_On_Bumper.thumb.jpg.8c50326f5b28a69cf566c570683dd599.jpg

Rust_Cleaned_Up.thumb.jpg.e974096a285cab1320e82eaa963a46e7.jpg

Flanged_Button_Head_Screw_On_Bumper.thumb.jpg.fae55c98d657fa9c1e8bd76ba7ff6196.jpg

Didn't get a lot of cleaning of the shop done today, but some. And then I "played". Put the speedo cable into the t-case and secured it.

And I ran across another 1/4-20 flanged button-head screw in stainless screw, so removed another of the rusty screws and replaced it with the button-head. Here's the screw head and surrounding rust:

And here's the cleaned up bumper and the screw in place:

So I ordered another 20 of those screws and will replace all of them on the bumper.

At least put some sleeve on the clutch hose.

Ill look for the slave boot, since I have an aluminum slave.

Bumper looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Couple *of days now....

Arrgh! 😣

And I ran across another 1/4-20 flanged button-head screw in stainless screw, so removed another of the rusty screws and replaced it with the button-head. Here's the screw head and surrounding rust:

So I ordered another 20 of those screws and will replace all of them on the bumper.

I don't think I am subscribed to this thread. I am now. I really need to follow along, especially since Big Blue might be chasing me on a motorcycle next year!

At least put some sleeve on the clutch hose.

Ill look for the slave boot, since I have an aluminum slave.

Bumper looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

Couple *of days now....

Arrgh! 😣

Jim - I plan to get a boot for the slave, don't worry. Just haven't gotten there yet. And thanks, I believe that the stainless screws really help the look of the bumper.

But, what does "Couple old days now" mean? :nabble_anim_confused:

Ray - Glad you are following along. At least you'll know what's behind you when the time comes. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I like that dipstick! Where is that from Gary?

I like that dipstick! Where is that from Gary?

That's from Lokar. It is the 24" variety, and cost ~$110. Yep, expensive. But it is flexible and I couldn't find anything else that looked like it would get out around the headers. It does, but it is CLOSE where it goes between the perch and the header. So Jim suggested the insulation that I added today.

And one of the things that Jim pointed out, and rightly so, is that the stainless braid on the outside of the tube is like a rasp. As it turns out, it lays against the perch, so as the engine shakes it would quickly wear through the powder coating and start chewing up the perch. So while the insulation will help, I put a piece of convolute over the insulation to prevent wear. I'm hoping it is far enough from the header so it won't melt. We shall see.

Dip_Stick_Insulation_On_-_Bottom.thumb.jpg.aac0f5bf2486ff785841d417fd9fd7e9.jpg