Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Jim. You have #1 at about 10 o'clock, which is where I was planning to put mine.

I'll have to get pictures of Darth's routing. I used the holes in the valve covers to hold the 4 end wires (1, 4, 5 & 8) and some 8mm wire separators to keep the groups on each side where they need to be. Right side they are just 1234, left side they are 5768 and #8 is routed in board of the coil bracket brace.

BTW, if you think #8 on a 460 is fun try all 8 on a manual transmission 428CJ, or #7 on your Road Toad. There is no reason for spark plugs to be under exhaust manifolds and that includes Y-block Fords.

I'll have to get pictures of Darth's routing. I used the holes in the valve covers to hold the 4 end wires (1, 4, 5 & 8) and some 8mm wire separators to keep the groups on each side where they need to be. Right side they are just 1234, left side they are 5768 and #8 is routed in board of the coil bracket brace.

BTW, if you think #8 on a 460 is fun try all 8 on a manual transmission 428CJ, or #7 on your Road Toad. There is no reason for spark plugs to be under exhaust manifolds and that includes Y-block Fords.

Thanks, Bill. I'm just having a hard time picturing how you used the holes in the valve covers. Do you have wire supports that snap down into the holes? Or ones that go under a bolt?

Thanks, Bill. I'm just having a hard time picturing how you used the holes in the valve covers. Do you have wire supports that snap down into the holes? Or ones that go under a bolt?

The ones that snap down in the holes. I will get some pictures later.

The ones that snap down in the holes. I will get some pictures later.

Bill - Don't worry, I think I've got it figured out.

Made a couple of these, meaning I drilled and tapped two bolts 10-32, turned a piece of round stock down to 3/16", and threaded it to match. They'll be powder coated and the studs will be secured with red Loctite.

Three_Wire_Standoff__Bolt.thumb.jpg.3f0a7fdf5eee50b2010cfd2727b95ce4.jpg

Here's the passenger's side, which is a 4-wire holder:

Passengers_Side_Plug_Wire_Standoff.thumb.jpg.c79bc7f5eff50831a816b93dfb2a7f96.jpg

And here's the driver's side, which is a 3-wire holder:

Drivers_Side_Plug_Wire_Standoff.thumb.jpg.b63237d0cdaaf412529c6a8f9be63205.jpg

Still have some organization to work out, and I'm not terribly pleased with the wire lengths, but they are what they are.

Now, what concerns do y'all have 'bout this? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Bill - Don't worry, I think I've got it figured out.

Made a couple of these, meaning I drilled and tapped two bolts 10-32, turned a piece of round stock down to 3/16", and threaded it to match. They'll be powder coated and the studs will be secured with red Loctite.

Here's the passenger's side, which is a 4-wire holder:

And here's the driver's side, which is a 3-wire holder:

Still have some organization to work out, and I'm not terribly pleased with the wire lengths, but they are what they are.

Now, what concerns do y'all have 'bout this? :nabble_smiley_evil:

I'd be concerned the runout of that thread would be subject to a lot of vibration.

Never seen wire holders like that before. (I sincerely hope it's not something sacrilegious!)

The dipstick tube looks better from this perspective than the last pictures.

Wire lengths are easy enough to adjust if you want.

And I think you should get rid of that bright RED coil adapter.

I'd be concerned the runout of that thread would be subject to a lot of vibration.

Never seen wire holders like that before. (I sincerely hope it's not something sacrilegious!)

The dipstick tube looks better from this perspective than the last pictures.

Wire lengths are easy enough to adjust if you want.

And I think you should get rid of that bright RED coil adapter.

Not sure what you mean about the "runout of that thread". Could you explain?

The wire holders are Ford, from a Windsor I think. Let me see if I can find them. I have several 3-wire and 4-wire.

To adjust the wires, do you slide the boot off?

As for the adapter, I'm happy to replace it if there's a black one available.

Not sure what you mean about the "runout of that thread". Could you explain?

The wire holders are Ford, from a Windsor I think. Let me see if I can find them. I have several 3-wire and 4-wire.

To adjust the wires, do you slide the boot off?

As for the adapter, I'm happy to replace it if there's a black one available.

Where the thread of the stud stops is right at the end of the plastic clip.

I've always been taught to not make two mistakes in the same place.

So I would have counterbored the screw and set the thread juncture below the surface (cleaner look, production part) or I would have let it look a bit long.

To adjust wires 'I' use a little silicone to slip the boot up the wire.

Determine length. Leave extra to fold core under contact crimp. Then strip insulation, fold conductor back and crimp connector over it.

'Out friend' was quite adamant about his technique when telling GSMblue how wrong he was about not using factory Ford wires instead of the vastly inferior Motorcraft.

Why do you need to replace an adapter?

Just use a coil wire from another vehicle that has DSII.

You're not married to an E-coil now.

Where the thread of the stud stops is right at the end of the plastic clip.

I've always been taught to not make two mistakes in the same place.

So I would have counterbored the screw and set the thread juncture below the surface (cleaner look, production part) or I would have let it look a bit long.

To adjust wires 'I' use a little silicone to slip the boot up the wire.

Determine length. Leave extra to fold core under contact crimp. Then strip insulation, fold conductor back and crimp connector over it.

'Out friend' was quite adamant about his technique when telling GSMblue how wrong he was about not using factory Ford wires instead of the vastly inferior Motorcraft.

Why do you need to replace an adapter?

Just use a coil wire from another vehicle that has DSII.

You're not married to an E-coil now.

Ahhh, I see what you mean about the threads. Ok, got it.

On the boots, I'll see if the boots slip up easily, but I'm not sure how much I want to change the length. Yeah, I remember the discussion.

Yes, I could use just any coil wire. Good point.