Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

That's why the MEL 430s had a thermal bypass valve in the Carter mechanical fuel pump that bled off hot fuel to the tank.

Wasn't aware of that, Bill.

But, guys, while I have your attention, could you post pics of your plug wire routing?

Why, 'cause I now have spark plugs installed! Autolite 24's, to be exact. But boy, do those heat shields make it fun. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I probably don't have the shields lined up perfectly, but they are both on and the plugs went past them, eventually. The old rubber-hose trick worked and kept me from cross-threading the plugs, but access is pretty poor. Reminds me of changing the plugs on a '57 283. #7 on them was just about like #8 on Big Blue.

Oh yes, I got the radiator isolators in. A little Armor-All on the stud and they popped right in. And I got the T6 ThermaShield, (T6F0.50SV) 4-ft Stick, 1/2" on order.

But, I didn't seat the dizzy today. I want to fill the crankcase, install a filter and the oil cooler, and spin the oil pump to prime the engine, so there's no reason to seat the dizzy just yet. But I can still route the wires - using your pics to help. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh, and I can't properly install the oil cooler until I have a radiator. And, probably have the AC installed as well. Plus, I shouldn't forget that the oil pressure gauges aren't connected yet. So there are still lots of things to do.

Wasn't aware of that, Bill.

But, guys, while I have your attention, could you post pics of your plug wire routing?

Why, 'cause I now have spark plugs installed! Autolite 24's, to be exact. But boy, do those heat shields make it fun. :nabble_smiley_cry:

I probably don't have the shields lined up perfectly, but they are both on and the plugs went past them, eventually. The old rubber-hose trick worked and kept me from cross-threading the plugs, but access is pretty poor. Reminds me of changing the plugs on a '57 283. #7 on them was just about like #8 on Big Blue.

Oh yes, I got the radiator isolators in. A little Armor-All on the stud and they popped right in. And I got the T6 ThermaShield, (T6F0.50SV) 4-ft Stick, 1/2" on order.

But, I didn't seat the dizzy today. I want to fill the crankcase, install a filter and the oil cooler, and spin the oil pump to prime the engine, so there's no reason to seat the dizzy just yet. But I can still route the wires - using your pics to help. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh, and I can't properly install the oil cooler until I have a radiator. And, probably have the AC installed as well. Plus, I shouldn't forget that the oil pressure gauges aren't connected yet. So there are still lots of things to do.

You've been warned about Autolites!

Ill try to grab a pic in a little bit.

Anything in particular you want?

You've been warned about Autolites!

Ill try to grab a pic in a little bit.

Anything in particular you want?

They are what Scotty recommended.

As for the pics, I'm just looking to see how your plug wires run and are separated and supported.

They are what Scotty recommended.

As for the pics, I'm just looking to see how your plug wires run and are separated and supported.

I guess I've just had terrible luck with the stock 45's.

My wires aren't exactly "supported" but you can see how they run (while flopping lazily about on top of my engine) :nabble_smiley_tongue:

I guess I've just had terrible luck with the stock 45's.

My wires aren't exactly "supported" but you can see how they run (while flopping lazily about on top of my engine) :nabble_smiley_tongue:

I may change to another plug later, but wanted to know the heat range he'd recommend.

NGK has a chart for conversion, but it doesn't include Autolite. NGK sure doesn't think much of Autolite's numbering system:

Where is Autolite?

Autolite's numbering system does not have a standardized heat range identifier.

The last digit in an Autolite part number represents the heat range within a plug family.

For example, take the 254x plug series. Autolite has 2544, 2545 and 2546 available. 2544 is the coldest plug in that plug family, and 2546 is the hotest.

However, according to an Autolite reference chart, Autolite 86 has the same heat range as 2244 and Autolite 303 is a hotter plug than 2974.

Therefore, it is impossible to chart an Autolite heat range hierarchy, let alone a standardized comparison to other spark plug brands.

I may change to another plug later, but wanted to know the heat range he'd recommend.

NGK has a chart for conversion, but it doesn't include Autolite. NGK sure doesn't think much of Autolite's numbering system:

Where is Autolite?

Autolite's numbering system does not have a standardized heat range identifier.

The last digit in an Autolite part number represents the heat range within a plug family.

For example, take the 254x plug series. Autolite has 2544, 2545 and 2546 available. 2544 is the coldest plug in that plug family, and 2546 is the hotest.

However, according to an Autolite reference chart, Autolite 86 has the same heat range as 2244 and Autolite 303 is a hotter plug than 2974.

Therefore, it is impossible to chart an Autolite heat range hierarchy, let alone a standardized comparison to other spark plug brands.

NGK makes sense.

They made MORE sense with the old Alpha Numeric system in my mind. I.e. BPR6ES.

But either way you get thread, projection, wrench, heat, resistor,

There's no way to even convey that in a three digit designation unless you combine traits.

You need to cross Autolite to Motorcraft, Bosch, Nippon Denso or Champion and then find an NGK plug.

NGK makes sense.

They made MORE sense with the old Alpha Numeric system in my mind. I.e. BPR6ES.

But either way you get thread, projection, wrench, heat, resistor,

There's no way to even convey that in a three digit designation unless you combine traits.

You need to cross Autolite to Motorcraft, Bosch, Nippon Denso or Champion and then find an NGK plug.

You are being generous. Unless these Autlites are 024's, they have just two digits. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

The Autolite site says a '96 F350 w/a 7.5L would have a 25 originally.

As for x-ref, this site has a lot of info but I'm not sure I buy it. It says a 24 crosses to: :nabble_anim_confused:

Bosch 0242229528

Bosch 7569

Bosch 7969

Bosch H8B

Bosch H8BC

Bosch HR6BC

Bosch HR8B

Bosch HR8BC

Bosch WA145T40

Bosch WA145TR40

Champion 406

Champion BL11Y

Champion RBL11Y

Champion RV12YC

Champion RV9YC

Champion V12YC

Champion stk 400

Motorcraft 415

Motorcraft AF32

Motorcraft ARF22

Motorcraft ARF32

Motorcraft ARF32M

Motorcraft ASF32

Motorcraft ASF32C

Motorcraft ASF32CM

Motorcraft SP-415

Motorcraft stk 15

NGK 1277

NGK 2623

NGK BP6FS

NGK BPR6FS

NGK R5674-6

NGK UR5

NGK stk 1277

NGK stk 2623

NGK stk 2771

You are being generous. Unless these Autlites are 024's, they have just two digits. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

The Autolite site says a '96 F350 w/a 7.5L would have a 25 originally.

As for x-ref, this site has a lot of info but I'm not sure I buy it. It says a 24 crosses to: :nabble_anim_confused:

Bosch 0242229528

Bosch 7569

Bosch 7969

Bosch H8B

Bosch H8BC

Bosch HR6BC

Bosch HR8B

Bosch HR8BC

Bosch WA145T40

Bosch WA145TR40

Champion 406

Champion BL11Y

Champion RBL11Y

Champion RV12YC

Champion RV9YC

Champion V12YC

Champion stk 400

Motorcraft 415

Motorcraft AF32

Motorcraft ARF22

Motorcraft ARF32

Motorcraft ARF32M

Motorcraft ASF32

Motorcraft ASF32C

Motorcraft ASF32CM

Motorcraft SP-415

Motorcraft stk 15

NGK 1277

NGK 2623

NGK BP6FS

NGK BPR6FS

NGK R5674-6

NGK UR5

NGK stk 1277

NGK stk 2623

NGK stk 2771

Well, I guess I meant 25's...

Still, after getting loose, uncrimped insulators -twice!- Autolite is on my Do Not Bother with it list.

You certainly have plenty to choose from!

UR4/6630 is a stock application. NGK numbers operate cooler higher I believe.

Well, I guess I meant 25's...

Still, after getting loose, uncrimped insulators -twice!- Autolite is on my Do Not Bother with it list.

You certainly have plenty to choose from!

UR4/6630 is a stock application. NGK numbers operate cooler higher I believe.

These appeared to be good. But 1 of them wasn't gapped the same as the others at .042. More like .046. By itself that's enough to put me off a brand. I expect them to be consistent.