Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Loooookin Goooood! (as Freddie Prinze would say)

Glad my stupid idea pulled through.

The dipstick mount seems to have worked out well.

If you didn't have the black distributor cap & adapter I'd want to see the coils in blue and the brackets silver, but black does tie the ignition system together.

Keep the ball rolling until the kids put the brakes on! :nabble_smiley_good:

ETA: I wonder if you should bent the dipstick clip more vertical to pull the braided hose away from the headers?

That wasn't a stupid idea. It was a good one! And it worked out well, although I was surprised at how much time it took to work out the details. But it all came together.

On the routing, I do need to go under and see how close it is. I think it is farther than it looks, but I think it is also touching the crossmember, which isn't good as it'll wear there.

That wasn't a stupid idea. It was a good one! And it worked out well, although I was surprised at how much time it took to work out the details. But it all came together.

On the routing, I do need to go under and see how close it is. I think it is farther than it looks, but I think it is also touching the crossmember, which isn't good as it'll wear there.

That stainless braid is just like a rat tail file!

Boy, that's an understatement!

This pic shows the routing with the bend on the handle's tab as it is in the previous pics. I think it is as good as it is going to get as at the bottom it threads the needle between the header and the perch. However, at the very top of the pic it is touching the perch, and any movement of it away from the perch causes it to touch the header down below.

We've discussed that securing it to the frame or perch. like with a rubber-lined clamp, is going to cause it to continually flex, which isn't good. But that may be better than sawing into the perch.

Or maybe a high-temp sleeve that could be slipped over it? That spot is ~1" from the header, so it'll get hot but won't be touching.

Dip_Stick_Routing.thumb.jpg.78bee7a8d7813c913b6efb9928799df8.jpg

This pic shows the routing with the bend on the handle's tab as it is in the previous pics. I think it is as good as it is going to get as at the bottom it threads the needle between the header and the perch. However, at the very top of the pic it is touching the perch, and any movement of it away from the perch causes it to touch the header down below.

We've discussed that securing it to the frame or perch. like with a rubber-lined clamp, is going to cause it to continually flex, which isn't good. But that may be better than sawing into the perch.

Or maybe a high-temp sleeve that could be slipped over it? That spot is ~1" from the header, so it'll get hot but won't be touching.

Most of the aftermarket brake lines I see (Goodridge, Earl's, Russell, etc) are in shrink tubing.

Clear, or translucent colors.

But wow that's close to a header and the Teflon liner is not impervious to heat.

I definitely think reflective sleeve is a better solution.

Is that a fuel or a brake line that appears to be *literally touching the header on the left side of the photo???

Eta: ooop. That must be the cross member.

Is that a fuel or a brake line that appears to be *literally touching the header on the left side of the photo???

Eta: ooop. That must be the cross member.

Reflective sleeve had better be pretty thin or it will be conductive. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

As for the brake line, you actually did point out a problem - the brake line was on the edge of the crossmember. Not where it should have been.

So I tracked the problem down to the clip on the left, and put the one on the right in its place:

Tubing_Clips.thumb.jpg.c5db00f0bf48be0613ef429f53402a0b.jpg

And then reshaped the line, clipped it in, and it now lays inside the back of the crossmember. The red arrow shows where it was on the edge previously, and the red circle shows the clip. Thanks for catching that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Brake_Line_Routing.thumb.jpg.559d3ae8333993e665010aa2da343ddc.jpg

Reflective sleeve had better be pretty thin or it will be conductive. :nabble_smiley_oh_no:

As for the brake line, you actually did point out a problem - the brake line was on the edge of the crossmember. Not where it should have been.

So I tracked the problem down to the clip on the left, and put the one on the right in its place:

And then reshaped the line, clipped it in, and it now lays inside the back of the crossmember. The red arrow shows where it was on the edge previously, and the red circle shows the clip. Thanks for catching that. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, look at me! I'm Captain Obvious. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I think I'd be interested in something like this to help the dipstick, since its already inserted.

https://www.delcity.net/store/T6-ThermaShield-Wrap/p_818140.h_807506

Edit: .042" thickness (just over 1mm) is the bottom side of a DSII plug gap, so pretty thin.

Well, look at me! I'm Captain Obvious. :nabble_smiley_teeth:

I think I'd be interested in something like this to help the dipstick, since its already inserted.

https://www.delcity.net/store/T6-ThermaShield-Wrap/p_818140.h_807506

Edit: .042" thickness (just over 1mm) is the bottom side of a DSII plug gap, so pretty thin.

I like that, Jim. The dip stick OD is .450" so I'll order the 1/2" piece and run it down from just above the perch to where it goes into the pan. Or at least to where it is well past the headers.

But, where the tube goes over the perch is about 2" from the header, so I'll slip a piece of convolute over the ThermaShield Wrap to serve as a cushion.

And, I wonder about using it over the the fuel line if it gets close to the exhaust. Even though it'll be recirculating into the tank, it can't hurt.

I like that, Jim. The dip stick OD is .450" so I'll order the 1/2" piece and run it down from just above the perch to where it goes into the pan. Or at least to where it is well past the headers.

But, where the tube goes over the perch is about 2" from the header, so I'll slip a piece of convolute over the ThermaShield Wrap to serve as a cushion.

And, I wonder about using it over the the fuel line if it gets close to the exhaust. Even though it'll be recirculating into the tank, it can't hurt.

No, certainly can't ever hurt to keep fuel temps down.