Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

.... If they want to live in direct opposition to what they're told, you have two options.

Tell them not to do exactly what you want, or allow them to learn a painful (but not fatal) lesson....

When my boys were learning how to drive I didn't hack on them as much as Lesley wanted me to. I told her "my job is to let them learn from their mistakes, and try to keep them from making mistakes that will have consequences that are too high." That meant that it was probably more effective to point out the stop sign as they blew past rather than early enough for them to stop at it. But only if I could see that they weren't going to smoke someone in the process.

That's a tough enough process with your own kids. I can see it's going to be harder yet with someone else's kids (ie, my kid's kids). (And we are one small step closer to grandkids. I might have mentioned this, but my younger son got engaged a couple weeks ago)

I think almost any sealer is ok.

There isn't much heat there.

Have you tried a dab of grease on the oil pump shaft and then pushing it down with a 5/16 1/4" drive deep socket?

If you can get the shaft to stay centered in the block boss it's much easier to get the dizzy to drop.

Get the kids out in the Mahal with you.

They can learn safety and basic principles.

They will be very grateful later in life.

I watch a guy on YouTube who has his three year old daughter welding. (Real welding!)

Cute as a button and already has the basics down pat.

This is just TOO adorable!

You could have the grantwins fabbing up those brackets for you in no time.

(My granddaughter is due in August) I'm not sure I'm ready to be a great grandpa.

.... If they want to live in direct opposition to what they're told, you have two options.

Tell them not to do exactly what you want, or allow them to learn a painful (but not fatal) lesson....

When my boys were learning how to drive I didn't hack on them as much as Lesley wanted me to. I told her "my job is to let them learn from their mistakes, and try to keep them from making mistakes that will have consequences that are too high." That meant that it was probably more effective to point out the stop sign as they blew past rather than early enough for them to stop at it. But only if I could see that they weren't going to smoke someone in the process.

That's a tough enough process with your own kids. I can see it's going to be harder yet with someone else's kids (ie, my kid's kids). (And we are one small step closer to grandkids. I might have mentioned this, but my younger son got engaged a couple weeks ago)

Good points, Bob. And, as you are likely to find out, there are different parenting styles from generation to generation. Mine was to tell them something and if they didn't do it start counting. If I got to 3 they were in trouble. Our daughter's style is to tell them something and then let it go.

I don't think that style will work very well in a hazardous environment, like driving or power tools. But I'm trying to learn to tell them fewer things, concentrating on the important ones. And they are learning that if Pop Pop tells them something he means it and there will be consequences if they don't do it.

They are wonderful kids and I love them to death, but I want them to be safe. So I've chosen to wait a while to introduce them to doing serious things in the shop. They've watched me do things on the lathe and mill, and have even operated the media blaster. But I've not let them do very much heretofore. I hope that can now change. :nabble_anim_jump:

This is just TOO adorable!

You could have the grantwins fabbing up those brackets for you in no time.

(My granddaughter is due in August) I'm not sure I'm ready to be a great grandpa.

That is cool, Jim! They'd LOVE to do some welding. I have plenty of scrap pieces, and while I only have one automagic helmet one of them can use the good one and I'll use the other. :nabble_anim_jump:

And, congrat's on being a great grandfather! :nabble_anim_claps:

That is cool, Jim! They'd LOVE to do some welding. I have plenty of scrap pieces, and while I only have one automagic helmet one of them can use the good one and I'll use the other. :nabble_anim_jump:

And, congrat's on being a great grandfather! :nabble_anim_claps:

Horrid Fate has autodimming helmets inexpensively.

It would be better if you could keep an eye on them while your hood is down.

Get them some PPE.

Goggles, a pair of gloves (I like the Hardy goatskin 'driving' gloves for MIG & TIG)

Ear defenders and a flame proof smock would round it out.

Horrid Fate has autodimming helmets inexpensively.

It would be better if you could keep an eye on them while your hood is down.

Get them some PPE.

Goggles, a pair of gloves (I like the Hardy goatskin 'driving' gloves for MIG & TIG)

Ear defenders and a flame proof smock would round it out.

I ran the welding idea by Janey and she thinks she would have vetoed it for our kids, so there may be no chance with the grands. But, I'll try. :nabble_smiley_whistling: (I wish I was in Canaan....)

As for Big Blue, I didn't get started until after lunch 'cause we had an errand to run. But the dip stick stay and associated fasteners are done, and we are just awaiting the delivery of the router bits so I can put a bullnose on it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's yet-another shot of it where you can see the fasteners for the stay that I chose from my Ford nuts & bolts bin which mimic the ones for the valve covers. And I found a chrome acorn nut for the dip stick stud. So, all is ready for the router bits, which are due tomorrow.

However, I have a young man coming by so I can help him install a new alternator on his Nissan. Apparently you have to raise the engine or lower the car, whichever is easiest, to do that. So, I may not get to finish the stay tomorrow. We shall see.

Dip_Stick_Stay_-_Done_Save_For_Bullnose.thumb.jpg.85f89a711fb31b4b3865a85a22e55716.jpg

I ran the welding idea by Janey and she thinks she would have vetoed it for our kids, so there may be no chance with the grands. But, I'll try. :nabble_smiley_whistling: (I wish I was in Canaan....)

As for Big Blue, I didn't get started until after lunch 'cause we had an errand to run. But the dip stick stay and associated fasteners are done, and we are just awaiting the delivery of the router bits so I can put a bullnose on it. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's yet-another shot of it where you can see the fasteners for the stay that I chose from my Ford nuts & bolts bin which mimic the ones for the valve covers. And I found a chrome acorn nut for the dip stick stud. So, all is ready for the router bits, which are due tomorrow.

However, I have a young man coming by so I can help him install a new alternator on his Nissan. Apparently you have to raise the engine or lower the car, whichever is easiest, to do that. So, I may not get to finish the stay tomorrow. We shall see.

Generally hang the engine from the fenders with a spreader bar.(in a working shop)

Gary, while I like the sound of

Screenshot_2020-05-15-18-44-00.png.7651a9ee6b5397e998963af8fa5b6e4c.png

Pedant/

You're doing a roundover.

If you made a truly hemicircular edge on that bracket -like the nosing on a stair tread- you'd be putting a Bullnose on the bracket.

/pedant

Generally hang the engine from the fenders with a spreader bar.(in a working shop)

Gary, while I like the sound of

Pedant/

You're doing a roundover.

If you made a truly hemicircular edge on that bracket -like the nosing on a stair tread- you'd be putting a Bullnose on the bracket.

/pedant

Yes, you are correct. It isn't a bullnose. But, it seemed cool to say it that way.

As for the Nissan, turns out his mother was wrong - it is a Saturn Vue. He sent me a link to a Youtube where I guy replaced the alternator. Things were going well, with a cutaway now and then to do something more. Finally there was a cutaway and he came back to say "We finally had to pull this bolt and raise the engine using a jack."

So I'm planning on having to do that.

Yes, you are correct. It isn't a bullnose. But, it seemed cool to say it that way.

As for the Nissan, turns out his mother was wrong - it is a Saturn Vue. He sent me a link to a Youtube where I guy replaced the alternator. Things were going well, with a cutaway now and then to do something more. Finally there was a cutaway and he came back to say "We finally had to pull this bolt and raise the engine using a jack."

So I'm planning on having to do that.

Try replacing the starter on a Toyota, where it sits inside the exhaust manifold.

.... and the girl just drove a half hour to get to your place. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I started with "let's go grab a drink"

I think she thought I was coming on to her! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Try replacing the starter on a Toyota, where it sits inside the exhaust manifold.

.... and the girl just drove a half hour to get to your place. :nabble_laughing-25-x-25_orig:

I started with "let's go grab a drink"

I think she thought I was coming on to her! :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

Gary, the bracket looks good. Here is a couple of options for spark plug shields without having to mess with the header bolts.

https://www.amazon.com/ACDelco-8006-Original-Equipment-Shield/dp/B000K04C36

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/chevrolet,1987,c70,6.0l+366cid+v8,3295136,ignition,spark+plug+heat+shield,10154