Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

You've really got or love how efficient U-techcenter is!

I think it will help with those headers wrapped so tight.

I'm assuming that tab is the only thing that holds them in place?

I like the idea of incorporating plug wire routing into the dipstick stay.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :nabble_anim_handshake: p

Rusty - The instructions I have from Hydratech say exactly what you are saying. The long part of the tee is for the power steering box's return to the pump, and the short side is for the brake's return. In fact, they have a full page explanation of that, so I scanned their instructions in and put them on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Brakes and then the Master Cyl's & Boosters tab and the Hydroboost Upgrade tab.

Anyway, I got the return all plumbed up today using the brass tee, as shown below. The return port on the Saginaw I have installed has a poor angle on it for this use, and I gave a lot of thought to using the pump I built for Dad's truck or the can from Jegs. But neither of those have a good angle to the port, so I just used this one and looped the line up and over, as you can see here. It isn't pretty, but it should work.

And, you can also see in the above pic the mockup I did of a bracket for the dip stick using Jim's suggestion. I drilled that piece to take bolts into the valve cover and a bolt holding the dip stick itself. Looks like it ought to work nicely, so I'll make something out of the aluminum channel I used for the battery hold downs. Good idea, Jim!

But, in the pic below you can see that the dip stick isn't quite where it'll end up being when I get the piece made. That's because the piece I used is too close to the valve cover so you can't run the bolt in far enough to make the dip stick pull up to the angle. I'll make the to-be piece a bit wider so a bolt can be threaded in from the back and act like a stud for a nut to go on. Or, just Loctite a stud in the aluminum.

So, what color should that bracket be? The same as the valve covers? Black?

Yep hydratech is one of the ones ive installed before, they are quite nice. The only hydratech problem we had was that one 69 camaro that the guy butchered up to make a drag car out of it, we put an external reservoir on it as the guy just had to have a one belt system with a pump that cant have a built in reservoir. thing aeriated from day one no matter what we could do. Another 69 that I did a couple weeks later a buddy of his, worked beautiful from day one but we took the OE can off the pump and put a newer style can on it that had the hydroboost return port.

Another three or four of them I did by hydratech was one that we used the Tee on and it worked great as well.

Me if I do one for my truck if my cam cant build enough vacuum, I am going the cheap way I will piece my own unit together as I doubt the cab mounts for the booster varied between the early F-super duty series of trucks and the standards. At least the photos of the hydroboost looks like its the same bolt pattern as the standard brake booster. But personally I hope I have enough vacuum for my OE booster as I never had bad brakes but god only knows what kind of vacuum my 306 will make compared to OE stock.

Just had a thought - what if that thing also routed plug wires? I could make a matching one for the other side. In any event, I don't want it to interfere.

By the way, these came today. FedUp said they put them on the porch. They weren't there but I told Janey I'd wait a bit before complaining because they've lied several times before about when they deliver things or why they didn't. Two hours later a nice guy from another neighborhood brought them as they'd been delivered to his house. I really like Amazon, then UPS, then USPS, then anyone but FedUp.

For me its UPS, DHL, and USPS and FedEx fight for the worse position.

what makes USPS even worse for me is we are a training route so every 3 to 4 weeks we have someone new. we constantly get mail that is for the right house but the wrong street.

Then FedEx did the worse to me, had a custom built HP laptop that was right at $2,000 some 15 years ago now and FedEx required signature and they left it at the wrong house and didn't even acknowledge the name didn't even match not even the last name.

called them up when that notification of delievery came in what did they tell me? sorry we cant do anything tonight we will pick it up tomorrow. Wait so you are seriously going to leave a $2,000 package at the wrong house that you should have never left it at in the first place over night then try to recover it tomorrow?

That's why I pay extra to avoid USPS and FedEx if at all possible. but some times no dice, UPS and DHL some times drop packages off at USPS to be delivered on the final leg and the new USPS thing that bugs me to no end is they keep scanning my package as delivered and I don't get it till the next day. Last for got scanned as delivered and then right away forwarded to new address. Im like boy do you have a bunch of incompetent workers there.

On the plug wires, I look forward to what you try. I don't know how I will do mine, I got the Ford Racing 9mm set in blue like I run on all of my fords. I got those little ford stand off wire holders and the inline holders. Not sure I want to use the stands that they come with might just pull the wire holders and cut my own bracket. Its a shame my Ford Racing valve covers doesn't have some kind of built in tab like the OE ford valve covers did in the 70`s for a wire holder to clip to.

For me its UPS, DHL, and USPS and FedEx fight for the worse position.

what makes USPS even worse for me is we are a training route so every 3 to 4 weeks we have someone new. we constantly get mail that is for the right house but the wrong street.

Then FedEx did the worse to me, had a custom built HP laptop that was right at $2,000 some 15 years ago now and FedEx required signature and they left it at the wrong house and didn't even acknowledge the name didn't even match not even the last name.

called them up when that notification of delievery came in what did they tell me? sorry we cant do anything tonight we will pick it up tomorrow. Wait so you are seriously going to leave a $2,000 package at the wrong house that you should have never left it at in the first place over night then try to recover it tomorrow?

That's why I pay extra to avoid USPS and FedEx if at all possible. but some times no dice, UPS and DHL some times drop packages off at USPS to be delivered on the final leg and the new USPS thing that bugs me to no end is they keep scanning my package as delivered and I don't get it till the next day. Last for got scanned as delivered and then right away forwarded to new address. Im like boy do you have a bunch of incompetent workers there.

On the plug wires, I look forward to what you try. I don't know how I will do mine, I got the Ford Racing 9mm set in blue like I run on all of my fords. I got those little ford stand off wire holders and the inline holders. Not sure I want to use the stands that they come with might just pull the wire holders and cut my own bracket. Its a shame my Ford Racing valve covers doesn't have some kind of built in tab like the OE ford valve covers did in the 70`s for a wire holder to clip to.

Must be locations, Fed Ex and UPS are great, USPS so so, DHL, oh boy!

Where is birthday boy? He'd know.

The tabs are to go over the outer stud portion of the manifold bolts. They don't need a lot to hold them in place as they sit down in between the exhaust ports on all but #1 and #8.

Left side:

Left_side_heat_shield.thumb.jpg.7bcc10b22b255f831b6b33dc8994664b.jpg

Right side:

Right_side_heat_shield.thumb.jpg.227664cc4ed62690e67aa3e67afc736c.jpg

The tabs go over the "stud" on the fasteners and since these are more substantial than the early ones I didn't use the stainless flat washers I used on the current engine.

The tabs are to go over the outer stud portion of the manifold bolts. They don't need a lot to hold them in place as they sit down in between the exhaust ports on all but #1 and #8.

Left side:

Right side:

The tabs go over the "stud" on the fasteners and since these are more substantial than the early ones I didn't use the stainless flat washers I used on the current engine.

Happy belated birthday, Bill!

Rusty, go snag yourself a van Saginaw from U-techcenter they're cheap.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F201653340417

Gary, you'll be buying some manifold studs to resolve all these issues.

I hope the shields fit with the tight bends of those headers.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F163004298516

Must be locations, Fed Ex and UPS are great, USPS so so, DHL, oh boy!

Around here USPS is stellar.

FedEx ok and UPS a distant third.

UPS used to be the only parcel game going when they were headquartered in Greenwich.

Heck, you could go over to their corporate campus and drop your package in a box that would ship hourly.