Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Well, mark another one up for Bill. The brace was turned around backwards, and when I put it on correctly there was a ~5/8" gap between it and the header. So I cut a 3/4" piece off of the 3/4" diameter stick of stainless rod, drilled it 3/8", and it fit perfectly.

Here's a shot with a 3" G5 stainless bolt torqued to 30 lb-ft:

And here's a shot showing that with the header bolt torqued down there's still a bit of adjustment left where the bracket hits the pump:

Then I added the pulley. Note that the tag says that all of this came from a 1990 E350, and by "this" I mean the aluminum bracket the pump is bolted to, the pump, the pulley, and the brace in back. Thanks again, Jonathan!!! :nabble_anim_handshake:

And this shows that with pulley installed as the book calls for, flush with the shaft, the alignment with the water pump pulley is perfect. :nabble_smiley_beam:

Man, am I glad it was something so simple.

You're getting closer and closer Gary. :nabble_smiley_good:

Well, mark another one up for Bill. The brace was turned around backwards, and when I put it on correctly there was a ~5/8" gap between it and the header. So I cut a 3/4" piece off of the 3/4" diameter stick of stainless rod, drilled it 3/8", and it fit perfectly.

Here's a shot with a 3" G5 stainless bolt torqued to 30 lb-ft:

And here's a shot showing that with the header bolt torqued down there's still a bit of adjustment left where the bracket hits the pump:

Then I added the pulley. Note that the tag says that all of this came from a 1990 E350, and by "this" I mean the aluminum bracket the pump is bolted to, the pump, the pulley, and the brace in back. Thanks again, Jonathan!!! :nabble_anim_handshake:

And this shows that with pulley installed as the book calls for, flush with the shaft, the alignment with the water pump pulley is perfect. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I will bet that the original setup had one of the double ended studs and the bracket went over the outer piece with a nut on it.

I will bet that the original setup had one of the double ended studs and the bracket went over the outer piece with a nut on it.

Willing to bet...

Just like the dipstick and the heat stove on the other side.

But now I see a gigantic piece of all-thread and it just looks tacky. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Willing to bet...

But now I see a gigantic piece of all-thread and it just looks tacky. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Jim - Sorry, but I don't understand. What all-thread? (You can't see it in any of my pics 'cause it is laying on the toolbox, out of view. :nabble_anim_blbl:)

Dane - Dad's version had the doorknob made out of glass. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Rob - I'd be thrilled to be driving it in June. :nabble_smiley_good:

All - I've turned this place upside down at least five times and CANNOT find the lower steering shaft that was on Big Blue when I pulled him apart. I have the u-joint that goes on the steering shaft, and I have the rag joint, but can't find the shaft that ties them together.

So I'm going to start a new thread about finding a good replacement. And until I can get that I'm going to install the shaft that came off of Dad's truck. The boot on it is split, so I don't want to run it. But I need something installed so I can figure out where to run the brake lines, the power steering/hydroboost lines, and the dip stick. (Speaking of which, it arrived today - two weeks before it was supposed to even ship. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I took a look today and I can see that the brake lines going down to the proportioning valve on the frame are directly in the way of the lower shaft. And I can see that the power steering hoses could also be a problem. So I need something there to hold the space.

Dip_Stick.thumb.jpg.3f296a124b0ef82d9a7781dfff9aae1d.jpg

Willing to bet...

Jim - Sorry, but I don't understand. What all-thread? (You can't see it in any of my pics 'cause it is laying on the toolbox, out of view. :nabble_anim_blbl:)

Dane - Dad's version had the doorknob made out of glass. :nabble_smiley_scared:

Rob - I'd be thrilled to be driving it in June. :nabble_smiley_good:

All - I've turned this place upside down at least five times and CANNOT find the lower steering shaft that was on Big Blue when I pulled him apart. I have the u-joint that goes on the steering shaft, and I have the rag joint, but can't find the shaft that ties them together.

So I'm going to start a new thread about finding a good replacement. And until I can get that I'm going to install the shaft that came off of Dad's truck. The boot on it is split, so I don't want to run it. But I need something installed so I can figure out where to run the brake lines, the power steering/hydroboost lines, and the dip stick. (Speaking of which, it arrived today - two weeks before it was supposed to even ship. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

I took a look today and I can see that the brake lines going down to the proportioning valve on the frame are directly in the way of the lower shaft. And I can see that the power steering hoses could also be a problem. So I need something there to hold the space.

Ooop

That was May 3rd at 4:10 pm....

You really should get a Y instead of a T for your return line.

Ooop

That was May 3rd at 4:10 pm....

You really should get a Y instead of a T for your return line.

Do they make Y fittings? Don't think I've ever seen one. But the return coming from the steering box is going to have to make a hard been with that T.

Do they make Y fittings? Don't think I've ever seen one. But the return coming from the steering box is going to have to make a hard been with that T.

Sure they do.

What size is that line?

Not only would it have to make a sharp bend, it would want to back up the other side of the return.

Newtonian physics and all...

Sure they do.

What size is that line?

Not only would it have to make a sharp bend, it would want to back up the other side of the return.

Newtonian physics and all...

Jim - You are absolutely correct. The Y looks to be a much better solution. It is a 3/8" line, and this one from Amazon would work but the delivery date is way too far out. So if anyone finds a brass 3/8" Y that's available "now" I need it.

51m2RLHd1OL.thumb.jpg.fb263b0321e86c4726e0e099da940912.jpg

Jim - You are absolutely correct. The Y looks to be a much better solution. It is a 3/8" line, and this one from Amazon would work but the delivery date is way too far out. So if anyone finds a brass 3/8" Y that's available "now" I need it.

Actually, with a bit more looking I found:

• Stainless Y: And while it is twice the price the $12 price isn't too bad to be here next week

• 3 Y's: This is even cheaper than the other one at $3 each.

But since I only need one the price isn't much different between the two. The stainless has a draw as I think it might be stronger. Thoughts?