Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Just stumbled upon this thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1479261-duraspark-retarding-during-startup-3.html with your testing in it.

I will try that new box I got from Amazon. One thing I noticed in that thread was that your Motorcraft labeled box was E8PF whereas the one I got from Amazon is D9VZ. May not make a bit of difference but just pointing it out.

Well, that guy is smarter than I am. And his memory is better. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Well, that guy is smarter than I am. And his memory is better. :nabble_smiley_blush:

Minor change of plans on the dizzy, et al. Scotty and I talked this morning. He charges $110 to re-curve a dizzy, and then there's shipping plus the cost of a cap, adapter, rotor, etc. But he charges $200 to the door for a properly-curved new dizzy with cap, rotor, adapter, etc. That sounds like a better deal.

So I'm going with a new one and keeping this one. He'll get it curved and shipped out next week along with the plugs, wires, and carb adapter.

Meanwhile I'd pulled the dizzy and coil, and was just looking at the coil & bracket and found this. There are two problems there. Can you find them both?

Flame_Thrower_Coil__Bracket.thumb.jpg.3943d2fef98c2f8ff57add5ba6ef7d35.jpg

HINTS: The 1985 EVTM says specs are 1.13 to 1.23. And the other problem is cosmetic. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Minor change of plans on the dizzy, et al. Scotty and I talked this morning. He charges $110 to re-curve a dizzy, and then there's shipping plus the cost of a cap, adapter, rotor, etc. But he charges $200 to the door for a properly-curved new dizzy with cap, rotor, adapter, etc. That sounds like a better deal.

So I'm going with a new one and keeping this one. He'll get it curved and shipped out next week along with the plugs, wires, and carb adapter.

Meanwhile I'd pulled the dizzy and coil, and was just looking at the coil & bracket and found this. There are two problems there. Can you find them both?

HINTS: The 1985 EVTM says specs are 1.13 to 1.23. And the other problem is cosmetic. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Resistance for one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but according to mine, that bracket would look better in a gloss black powdercoat. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I also kept my old distributor and had a new one sent. Just a heads up if you end up with the same. The new spacer (might be a technical name for it) had a lot of play in it. I took a stainless steel washer that fit the vacuum advance bolt (the one that goes into the cutout in the spacer) and ground two sides to a slight angle. This stops the spacer from shifting.

Resistance for one.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but according to mine, that bracket would look better in a gloss black powdercoat. :nabble_smiley_happy:

I also kept my old distributor and had a new one sent. Just a heads up if you end up with the same. The new spacer (might be a technical name for it) had a lot of play in it. I took a stainless steel washer that fit the vacuum advance bolt (the one that goes into the cutout in the spacer) and ground two sides to a slight angle. This stops the spacer from shifting.

Yep, right on both counts. :nabble_anim_claps:

But, by spacer you mean 12A217? Officially known as 12A217 ADAPTER ASSY. - (DISTRIBUTOR BASE)?

If so, I think I understand. Thanks!

Distributor_Illustration.thumb.jpg.6ed5c0c9a1b96fd9dfdc055802f962fb.jpg

Resistance, one possibly stripped stud, funky high tension connector. Surprised it didn't fry a DS-II module.

Resistance, one possibly stripped stud, funky high tension connector. Surprised it didn't fry a DS-II module.

I, too, am surprised. And you are right about the funky high tension connector. That's 'cause it had a funky MSD coil/dizzy wire which required a male connector on the coil.

Yep, right on both counts. :nabble_anim_claps:

But, by spacer you mean 12A217? Officially known as 12A217 ADAPTER ASSY. - (DISTRIBUTOR BASE)?

If so, I think I understand. Thanks!

Yep -that's it. Tried to get a picture of it. The wedge shaped washer under that bolt.

Yours may not have the play in it but mine was enough that when setting the timing I didn't want it to factor in.

IMG_20200410_155859.thumb.jpg.6475415008191899af284ab05e5fb192.jpg

(If you look closely you'll see a gloss black powdercoated coil bracket :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Yep -that's it. Tried to get a picture of it. The wedge shaped washer under that bolt.

Yours may not have the play in it but mine was enough that when setting the timing I didn't want it to factor in.

(If you look closely you'll see a gloss black powdercoated coil bracket :nabble_smiley_wink:)

Thanks, Scott. If mine is loose I'll use your method.

As for what I did this afternoon, after getting things sorted with Scotty I made one of three spacers to stack the DS-II modules. (Apparently I don't have the connector nuts I thought I had.) But, I made it out of 3/4" diameter stainless, and my 1/4-20 taps don't like it. I chipped one of my taps, and others just didn't want to go. But I finally got this one done and here's how it fits. Hopefully I'll get the other two done tomorrow.

Stacked_DS-II_Modules_Mocked_Up_-_2.thumb.jpg.a09c1d43002425a8a609bd3e5b54257d.jpg

And, Scott, I see the bracket. Looks good! :nabble_smiley_good:

I picked up on three.

Do I get a star???? :nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig: