Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

A caliper rebuild kit is ~ $10. =$20

Pistons are @$5. =$20

Severe duty pads. =$37

$77 all in looks like a bargain to me when one caliper is pushing $150 loaded.

Won't take an hour to clean them up and rebuild.

Besides, you have a powder coating setup, you could make them bright red to go with all the suspension bushings and perches! :nabble_anim_crazy:

Steve - That's "less bad". But it is still LOTS of money. However, with "But I'd be shopping for Ford/MotorCraft parts (normal truck pads)", are you saying go MotorCraft?

Jim - Do you read lips? :nabble_anim_blbl:

I'm hoping none of the red is left when this is over, save for a few buried poly bushings in the rear, which I can live with.

Anyway, the rebuild idea is looking better and better. I've never rebuilt one, but I pulled one of these apart today and they are simple. All I didn't figure out is how the seal is held in. Is it pressed in?

But, given the simplicity, what is wrong with a Raybestos reman'd caliper, other than price, and that's only ~$44/ea.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve - That's "less bad". But it is still LOTS of money. However, with "But I'd be shopping for Ford/MotorCraft parts (normal truck pads)", are you saying go MotorCraft?

Jim - Do you read lips? :nabble_anim_blbl:

I'm hoping none of the red is left when this is over, save for a few buried poly bushings in the rear, which I can live with.

Anyway, the rebuild idea is looking better and better. I've never rebuilt one, but I pulled one of these apart today and they are simple. All I didn't figure out is how the seal is held in. Is it pressed in?

But, given the simplicity, what is wrong with a Raybestos reman'd caliper, other than price, and that's only ~$44/ea.

I guess the $44 caliper option is fine but that's still 2 trips to the store and still $125 v/s parts delivered to the house for $77

Oh and I was wrong. The kit seems to be four of everything so take $10 off that.

The seals fit into a groove like a snap ring.

And they are trapezoidal in shape, so they distort under pressure and return to shape pulling the piston back when the brakes are released.

The advantage is that you know what condition everything is in rather than relying on a greedy company and a minimum wage worker in Mexico to not 'overlook' some defect.

I guess the $44 caliper option is fine but that's still 2 trips to the store and still $125 v/s parts delivered to the house for $77

Oh and I was wrong. The kit seems to be four of everything so take $10 off that.

The seals fit into a groove like a snap ring.

And they are trapezoidal in shape, so they distort under pressure and return to shape pulling the piston back when the brakes are released.

The advantage is that you know what condition everything is in rather than relying on a greedy company and a minimum wage worker in Mexico to not 'overlook' some defect.

Do you mean the boot? Or the piston seal?

The boot usually just fits like a garter or valve stem seal

Do you mean the boot? Or the piston seal?

The boot usually just fits like a garter or valve stem seal

The piston seal. Does the kit come with the boot that goes over the pins/bolts?

By the way, I like this style of caliper. The Bullnose style never seems to center properly for me and, therefore, always drags. But this style should center nicely.

And, the extra 1/2" or so on the rotors should help on the braking. Unfortunately I have a pair of drilled and slotted rotors that I got from Vernon, NIB, that won't fit because of the extra diameter. But, I'll wind up selling those at some point.

The piston seal. Does the kit come with the boot that goes over the pins/bolts?

By the way, I like this style of caliper. The Bullnose style never seems to center properly for me and, therefore, always drags. But this style should center nicely.

And, the extra 1/2" or so on the rotors should help on the braking. Unfortunately I have a pair of drilled and slotted rotors that I got from Vernon, NIB, that won't fit because of the extra diameter. But, I'll wind up selling those at some point.

No.

The four bolt accordions are another $10 retail (BTW these are all retail, but I get jobber at my LAP)

At least those rotors will cover the cost of whatever new rotors you get for the D60 front end, and maybe the pads a/o the parts to rebuild.

No.

The four bolt accordions are another $10 retail (BTW these are all retail, but I get jobber at my LAP)

At least those rotors will cover the cost of whatever new rotors you get for the D60 front end, and maybe the pads a/o the parts to rebuild.

Ok. The accordions look good on these calipers, as do the bleed valves and their covers, so I may reuse them.

I not only have the drilled/slotted rotors, but I have fancy blue calipers and Yellow Stuff pads. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Ok. The accordions look good on these calipers, as do the bleed valves and their covers, so I may reuse them.

I not only have the drilled/slotted rotors, but I have fancy blue calipers and Yellow Stuff pads. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Red, yellow, blue....

You need to find the orange, green and purple parts.

You could sell someone the whole spectrum of bullnose spares!

Red, yellow, blue....

You need to find the orange, green and purple parts.

You could sell someone the whole spectrum of bullnose spares!

Google must really be watching because after looking at rotors and calipers on Rockauto yesterday this came up in my YouTube recommendations this morning.

It's more and more like Brazil or 1984 everyday.

Google must really be watching because after looking at rotors and calipers on Rockauto yesterday this came up in my YouTube recommendations this morning.

You may have this, but just in case, I have a 3-legged chuck-able wheel cylinder bore hone for when it comes to rebuild the calipers.

Yep. Janey will look at something and because we share an IP address I'll start seeing advert's for that same thing. But, 1984 was a good year - at least for trucks. :nabble_smiley_wink: