Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Aluminum is a stupid material for pistons with its heat coefficient and propensity for corrosion.

Only the bore needs to be good for them to seal

Phenolic, or titainium with a ceramic cap are good.

Even stainless would be way better than aluminum as far as heat transfer to the fluid goes.

Raybestos PG are simple but ok parts made to a price point where the shop can get a healthy markup.

If you're buying all these parts maybe you should look at Rockauto?

As long as you don't get hammered with shipping from six different warehouse locations there is money to be saved by purchasing orphaned parts.

Well, it looks like I was wrong. :nabble_smiley_blush: I saw a website where their pistons were either aluminum or cast iron, and since these weren't iron I assumed they are aluminum. But, they don't have the ring of aluminum when hit with a tool, so I'd guess they are phenolic.

Anyway, do you folks have a suggestion for good calipers? I'm not looking for the powder coated ones - unless they are the essentially the same price as uncoated ones of the same caliber.

And, what pads would y'all recommend?

Jim - Remember the totes in which you shipped me all that stuff a couple of years ago? I've been using ones just like them for storing things and just filled one up with all the parts I'd cleaned from the '95. Now I have something I cannot lift. :nabble_smiley_cry: But, I can scoot it and in a tote all that stuff takes up FAR less real estate. So I'm happy. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, it looks like I was wrong. :nabble_smiley_blush: I saw a website where their pistons were either aluminum or cast iron, and since these weren't iron I assumed they are aluminum. But, they don't have the ring of aluminum when hit with a tool, so I'd guess they are phenolic.

Anyway, do you folks have a suggestion for good calipers? I'm not looking for the powder coated ones - unless they are the essentially the same price as uncoated ones of the same caliber.

And, what pads would y'all recommend?

Jim - Remember the totes in which you shipped me all that stuff a couple of years ago? I've been using ones just like them for storing things and just filled one up with all the parts I'd cleaned from the '95. Now I have something I cannot lift. :nabble_smiley_cry: But, I can scoot it and in a tote all that stuff takes up FAR less real estate. So I'm happy. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I remember going to FedEx and they wouldn't take the one that was pushing #100, so I had to go rearrange parts until they were roughly equal weights. :nabble_smiley_uh:

You know my opinion on pads already.

I really don't know what's available in calipers but I'll check and get back.

I remember going to FedEx and they wouldn't take the one that was pushing #100, so I had to go rearrange parts until they were roughly equal weights. :nabble_smiley_uh:

You know my opinion on pads already.

I really don't know what's available in calipers but I'll check and get back.

Jim - You said "Motorcraft severe or super duty brake pads. (I forget which)." I found these that fit the '95. Might they be what you have?

And, I found these:

There isn't enough price difference to choose on price. Thoughts?

Jim - You said "Motorcraft severe or super duty brake pads. (I forget which)." I found these that fit the '95. Might they be what you have?

And, I found these:

There isn't enough price difference to choose on price. Thoughts?

Well the '95 pads definitely won't fit my calipers.... :nabble_anim_blbl:

Motorcraft makes both severe and super duty friction material.

They also sell preloaded calipers with both compounds.

I don't have any personal experience with Bosch pads except 30+ years ago in Mercedes and BMW's.

They are a far different company today.

So I can't speak about current offerings.

...Phenolic, or titainium with a ceramic cap are good...

...maybe you should look at Rockauto?...

I believe these to be phenolic. And RockAuto is my first go-to. They have the parts grouped by usage/duty, so you can know what you're getting that way. Just a quick look got this: "What I think you might be looking for"

Scrolling down will take you to more groups of options. The very bottom are ACDelco Heavy Duty, which is a brand I've always felt good using; no problems personally.

...Phenolic, or titainium with a ceramic cap are good...

...maybe you should look at Rockauto?...

I believe these to be phenolic. And RockAuto is my first go-to. They have the parts grouped by usage/duty, so you can know what you're getting that way. Just a quick look got this: "What I think you might be looking for"

Scrolling down will take you to more groups of options. The very bottom are ACDelco Heavy Duty, which is a brand I've always felt good using; no problems personally.

Yeah, I know they're phenolic.

Also on that page are the preloaded Motorcraft calipers with regular or super duty pads.

and Raybestos brand calipers with "police duty" pads

The problem I have is that there is a substantial core charge, so you're stuck with the cost of shipping both ways, and the wait for refund.

Edit: I checked my shopping history and find I purchased the BRSD450 severe duty pads and h5572 brake hardware kit in April of '17.

Jim - Yes, I can rebuild them. But I was expecting "new" prices to be a bit less than the $85/ea and up that I'm finding, and thought I'd just go "new". So I will pull them apart and see what they look like. It isn't as if they are all that hard to replace at a later date if needed.

And, that kinda explains my thinking on this project. If it is extremely hard to get to, like the internals of the differential, then do it RIGHT. If it is hard to get to, like the u-joints in the axles, then do it right. If it isn't too hard to get to, like brake calipers or driveshaft, then use good quality components.

Man, that's really poor QC on Wagner's part.

Bob - I guess I hadn't thought about the air bags limiting travel. You had the stops on the air bags hitting at the same time as the truck's bump stops. But, since you need to keep some air in the bags at all times they were limiting things long before hitting the bump stops? Is that what you are saying?

So, if the air bags were set so that they came into play at minimum pressure at the same time as the axle hit the bump stops then you'd have full travel in an unloaded situation. And since the bump stops would prevent travel from going any further you'd never hit the air bag's stops. Would that work?

OABTW, Rockauto offers 2 brands of replacement phenolic pistons for your calipers at ~$5 a piece.

Yeah, I know they're phenolic.

Also on that page are the preloaded Motorcraft calipers with regular or super duty pads.

and Raybestos brand calipers with "police duty" pads

The problem I have is that there is a substantial core charge, so you're stuck with the cost of shipping both ways, and the wait for refund.

Edit: I checked my shopping history and find I purchased the BRSD450 severe duty pads and h5572 brake hardware kit in April of '17.

Steve - Thanks. I've looked at Rock Auto's site and those items. But, like Jim said, the price isn't truly representative of the total cost. The shipping charge to get the calipers to me is $15/ea, so you actually have to add $30 to the cost of each caliper since I have to return the core.

So, the ACDELCO 18R1148SV's are $111.79 from RA, but with the $30 shipping that makes them $141.79. However, Amazon has them for $133.45 and free shipping plus a $45 rebate, making them $88.45. The only downside is that it says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." :nabble_smiley_cry:

And while I probably have the kind of time to accept "FREE delivery: July 26 - Sept 9", that's not a very good feeling. How in the world can they say they "usually ship within 1 to 3 months"?

Anyway, thanks y'all. Keep those cards and letters coming in as my mind is still open on this.

Steve - Thanks. I've looked at Rock Auto's site and those items. But, like Jim said, the price isn't truly representative of the total cost. The shipping charge to get the calipers to me is $15/ea, so you actually have to add $30 to the cost of each caliper since I have to return the core.

So, the ACDELCO 18R1148SV's are $111.79 from RA, but with the $30 shipping that makes them $141.79. However, Amazon has them for $133.45 and free shipping plus a $45 rebate, making them $88.45. The only downside is that it says "Usually ships within 1 to 3 months." :nabble_smiley_cry:

And while I probably have the kind of time to accept "FREE delivery: July 26 - Sept 9", that's not a very good feeling. How in the world can they say they "usually ship within 1 to 3 months"?

Anyway, thanks y'all. Keep those cards and letters coming in as my mind is still open on this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162856752564

US $138.95 Buy It Now

Shipping: FREE Standard Shipping

Item location: Lynbrook, New York, United States

Estimated on or before Wed. Jun. 19 to 38060

But I'd be shopping for Ford/MotorCraft parts (normal truck pads).

A caliper rebuild kit is ~ $10. =$20

Pistons are @$5. =$20

Severe duty pads. =$37

$77 all in looks like a bargain to me when one caliper is pushing $150 loaded.

Won't take an hour to clean them up and rebuild.

Besides, you have a powder coating setup, you could make them bright red to go with all the suspension bushings and perches! :nabble_anim_crazy: