Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I wasn't going to say anything but seeing all those wires coming out of the bottom of it did make me want to post another link to the ssVEC :nabble_anim_blbl:

I do agree - having the Ford oval on there will be a nice touch.

There are a number of wires. But each fuse is on the bus, so there's just the wires from the fuses. And most of the relay slots didn't have the 5th wire, the one on the normally-closed connection, but some did. And there were lots more fuses than needed.

So I cleaned out probably 10 or 12 wires today, and then taped the ones for each relay together, making it much more manageable. Tomorrow I'll run the wires from the fuses to the relays, which will make it even simpler looking. Then, all I'm left with are the wires that connect to the harnii. We are on the home stretch!

Once installed it won't look custom. It'll look like it belongs. And it won't look big as the battery will dwarf it. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are a number of wires. But each fuse is on the bus, so there's just the wires from the fuses. And most of the relay slots didn't have the 5th wire, the one on the normally-closed connection, but some did. And there were lots more fuses than needed.

So I cleaned out probably 10 or 12 wires today, and then taped the ones for each relay together, making it much more manageable. Tomorrow I'll run the wires from the fuses to the relays, which will make it even simpler looking. Then, all I'm left with are the wires that connect to the harnii. We are on the home stretch!

Once installed it won't look custom. It'll look like it belongs. And it won't look big as the battery will dwarf it. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

Speaking of batteries. You're using the factory aux battery mount, right? If so, do you know what battery you are using there? I was testing mine out the other day to ensure I had room to run the 1/0 wire but the 65 type battery has a lip on the bottom that would have to be trimmed to fit. I haven't gone so far as to take measurements and check out the optima's or such yet.

Speaking of batteries. You're using the factory aux battery mount, right? If so, do you know what battery you are using there? I was testing mine out the other day to ensure I had room to run the 1/0 wire but the 65 type battery has a lip on the bottom that would have to be trimmed to fit. I haven't gone so far as to take measurements and check out the optima's or such yet.

I'll check tomorrow. I don't remember what it is.

As for your 1/0 wire, I'm a bit worried that the #10 yellow wire isn't going to cut it to tie the two batteries together. As I get into this I'm going to see if I can install the EFI harness that goes across the radiator support during Phase 1. That way I'd have the large wire that ties the EFI PDB to the PDB I'm working on now, and I could install the Cole Hersee smart relay at the end of that wire and connect up the aux battery.

I'll check tomorrow. I don't remember what it is.

As for your 1/0 wire, I'm a bit worried that the #10 yellow wire isn't going to cut it to tie the two batteries together. As I get into this I'm going to see if I can install the EFI harness that goes across the radiator support during Phase 1. That way I'd have the large wire that ties the EFI PDB to the PDB I'm working on now, and I could install the Cole Hersee smart relay at the end of that wire and connect up the aux battery.

That sounds like the best plan to me. The #10 seems awfully small especially at that length.

That sounds like the best plan to me. The #10 seems awfully small especially at that length.

I agree that it is too small. So I really need to think through this BEFORE finalizing the plan.

One reason is that the trailer feed now goes from the passenger's side across the radiator support to the trailer brake controller. But that makes no sense when there will be a large PDB on the driver's fender with a serious feed to it from the main battery. So, if there is a Trailer fuse in the '96 PDB then why not use it and dispense with the fairly-large wire running across the radiator support. I'll check that out.

Also, there's a wire in the harness running across the radiator support that triggers the starter relay. I need to figure out what it does and if it is needed. If so, I probably need to connect it as I'm doing this PDB.

Yes, I'm using the factory aux battery mount, at least for now although with the EFI air cleaner housing and PDB that may be too much for the driver's fender area.

And the battery I have there is an Odyssey Extreme 34-PC1500. And the LWH is 10.86 x 6.77 x 7.88". But that's overall, so if you need different measurements let me know.

Yes, I'm using the factory aux battery mount, at least for now although with the EFI air cleaner housing and PDB that may be too much for the driver's fender area.

And the battery I have there is an Odyssey Extreme 34-PC1500. And the LWH is 10.86 x 6.77 x 7.88". But that's overall, so if you need different measurements let me know.

Appreciate that. So that 6.77 width is the max?

For my test I was using an Everstart 65 that I use for the trailer winch. The problem with it are the kickouts at the bottom take it to 7.1875". The battery tray is ~6.75" wide so the 6.77 would work as you reported.

Are you using the same Odyssey model for both the main and aux?

Appreciate that. So that 6.77 width is the max?

For my test I was using an Everstart 65 that I use for the trailer winch. The problem with it are the kickouts at the bottom take it to 7.1875". The battery tray is ~6.75" wide so the 6.77 would work as you reported.

Are you using the same Odyssey model for both the main and aux?

No, I have an Odyssey Extreme 31M PC2150 for the main battery. I had one of those for the aux battery, but then just before I shut the hood I realized it wasn't going to clear. :nabble_smiley_oh:

No, I have an Odyssey Extreme 31M PC2150 for the main battery. I had one of those for the aux battery, but then just before I shut the hood I realized it wasn't going to clear. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Got the new brushes in the mail today, which have now been installed so the alternator is ready to go.

And the following notes as I find things:

• The red/light blue wire in the wiring harness coming from the driver's side in the EFI harness isn't needed. It is essentially the same as the Bullnose one as it comes from the ign switch, through the clutch switch, and then to the start relay for a manual.

• Fuse Link F, which goes to the brake controller, doesn't need to come from the PDB on the passenger's side. There's a 30a fuse, #21, in the EFI PDB that just serves the brake controller. So for the interim either roll up the wire and keep it on the driver's side and put the ring connector from the fuse link on the to-be smart battery isolator where the big yellow wire will terminate.

• The only wires that I think needs to come across the radiator support are those to the driver's side headlight and the big yellow wire hot wire between the PDB's.

Having said that, there are three connectors and their wires that come from the driver's side and end on the passenger's side that I have not been able to identify. The one with the yellow insulator has a red wire and a green/black/black wire. (Two black stripes.) The one in the middle has a green/brown (orange?) wire. And the one on the right has a brown/yellow/yellow wire.

Connectors_Not_ID_d_-_1.thumb.jpg.c514efc346a31af06865ad9fcbe11f03.jpgConnectors_Not_ID_d_-_2.thumb.jpg.1d2b8fb54a607c4b097742ea46585fd0.jpg

And, I realized today that I almost have twin PDB's. Here's they are, with the EFI one on top in both pics. The EFI one only has one stud, and that's to take the large yellow cable from the other side. And the other PDB has two studs, which allows for a megafuse between them and the alternator goes to one and the battery and big yellow cable to the other.

PDB_Twins_-_1.thumb.jpg.7f23cb3482d7d031d8dc5cbafa82bdd1.jpgPDB_Twins_-_2.thumb.jpg.da218c6ce2abc962d7bc6fa1fb11b99f.jpg

Got the new brushes in the mail today, which have now been installed so the alternator is ready to go.

And the following notes as I find things:

• The red/light blue wire in the wiring harness coming from the driver's side in the EFI harness isn't needed. It is essentially the same as the Bullnose one as it comes from the ign switch, through the clutch switch, and then to the start relay for a manual.

• Fuse Link F, which goes to the brake controller, doesn't need to come from the PDB on the passenger's side. There's a 30a fuse, #21, in the EFI PDB that just serves the brake controller. So for the interim either roll up the wire and keep it on the driver's side and put the ring connector from the fuse link on the to-be smart battery isolator where the big yellow wire will terminate.

• The only wires that I think needs to come across the radiator support are those to the driver's side headlight and the big yellow wire hot wire between the PDB's.

Having said that, there are three connectors and their wires that come from the driver's side and end on the passenger's side that I have not been able to identify. The one with the yellow insulator has a red wire and a green/black/black wire. (Two black stripes.) The one in the middle has a green/brown (orange?) wire. And the one on the right has a brown/yellow/yellow wire.

And, I realized today that I almost have twin PDB's. Here's they are, with the EFI one on top in both pics. The EFI one only has one stud, and that's to take the large yellow cable from the other side. And the other PDB has two studs, which allows for a megafuse between them and the alternator goes to one and the battery and big yellow cable to the other.

Gary the three mystery plugs, what did that harness come from? Could the middle have been light green with red? If so it is the alternator light to alternator. The right hand one is probably a dirty red and is possibly the starter control. The left hand one if it could be red and light green with black is the canister purge control (called a vapor management valve) it was used on the 460 CA spec vehicles instead of the plain solenoid valve.