Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Trust me, I'm a happy camper. I got a good deal on a LOT of parts. :nabble_smiley_wink:

As for what I did today, I spent some time trying to take the PDB apart. If you haven't played with one, there are red pieces of plastic that retain the connectors. So, you take out the relays, fuses, and diodes and pull the red pieces. Then you can pull the individual connectors by releasing their tabs. And, since I'm not going to use all of them I want to pull some of them out.

But, I've not figured out how to get all of the retainers out. There are some tricks somewhere that I've not discovered. So if anyone knows, please educate me. But once I figure it out I'll post a video or something.

The retainers themselves probably have tabs that need to be depressed before they'll come out.

The retainers themselves probably have tabs that need to be depressed before they'll come out.

Yes, there are tabs. But apparently some of them are hidden as one piece has a tab at one end and yet when it is released the retainer still won't come out. Still working.....

Yes, there are tabs. But apparently some of them are hidden as one piece has a tab at one end and yet when it is released the retainer still won't come out. Still working.....

Coffee in hand? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, sir! Sumatra for the first cup. French to come. Then assemble an alternator and figure out where the little tabs are hiding. :nabble_anim_confused:

Would really love to get the PDB apart and the extra contacts out to make it easier to work on. And then cut into the harness to remove the fuse links and solder the extensions. At that point I'm committed and there's not turning back. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I guess I could just cut in and do the soldering. Then I am truly committed.

Yes, sir! Sumatra for the first cup. French to come. Then assemble an alternator and figure out where the little tabs are hiding. :nabble_anim_confused:

Would really love to get the PDB apart and the extra contacts out to make it easier to work on. And then cut into the harness to remove the fuse links and solder the extensions. At that point I'm committed and there's not turning back. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I guess I could just cut in and do the soldering. Then I am truly committed.

I did get the alternator back together, and I did get the retainers in PDB out, save for the retainer holding the diode terminals in. And since I am using one of the diodes, that means I'll just have to roll the wires to the other one up in the PDB.

Then, with the retainers out, I pulled out the wires and terminals that I won't use. And, in doing so, I worked through the diagram shown previously for the PDB. Sure enough, there were several problems. I now have those sorted and I think the diagram is correct.

Tomorrow I'll tie together the fuse, relay, and diode connectors inside the PDB and then populate it and test it. If it works properly I'll re-install the retainers and call the PDB good. And at that point I'll pull out the partial harness I have, remove the fuse links, and extend the wires to reach the PDB.

Speaking of the retainers, here's a shot of the PDB with the retainers in place. I've circled where the clips are that have to be released in order to get the retainers out. Most of them are easily released, but the two inside the circle in the upper left were particularly tough. The retainers are buttons made of the black plastic of the PDB itself, and they face each other. I finally got the released by pushing a screwdriver in there that was just the right width to push to the two buttons apart and got the retainer out - without breaking anything.

PDB_Showing_Retainer_Clipsjpg.thumb.jpg.4dfcda441ddacc15fc0144506230d243.jpg

And here's what the PDB looks like w/o the retainers:

PDB_With_Retainers_Removed.thumb.jpg.e9d966e7e0903acf71f2485a7295cf0d.jpg

The shot on the left is of the bottom with all the wires in, and the one on the right is with the extraneous ones removed:

PDB_Wires_Before_Elimination.thumb.jpg.94a09174b2532ceafedaab795f73700b.jpgPDB_Wires_After_Elimination.thumb.jpg.d259744dc83d95369685de8ae277fe86.jpg

I did get the alternator back together, and I did get the retainers in PDB out, save for the retainer holding the diode terminals in. And since I am using one of the diodes, that means I'll just have to roll the wires to the other one up in the PDB.

Then, with the retainers out, I pulled out the wires and terminals that I won't use. And, in doing so, I worked through the diagram shown previously for the PDB. Sure enough, there were several problems. I now have those sorted and I think the diagram is correct.

Tomorrow I'll tie together the fuse, relay, and diode connectors inside the PDB and then populate it and test it. If it works properly I'll re-install the retainers and call the PDB good. And at that point I'll pull out the partial harness I have, remove the fuse links, and extend the wires to reach the PDB.

Speaking of the retainers, here's a shot of the PDB with the retainers in place. I've circled where the clips are that have to be released in order to get the retainers out. Most of them are easily released, but the two inside the circle in the upper left were particularly tough. The retainers are buttons made of the black plastic of the PDB itself, and they face each other. I finally got the released by pushing a screwdriver in there that was just the right width to push to the two buttons apart and got the retainer out - without breaking anything.

And here's what the PDB looks like w/o the retainers:

The shot on the left is of the bottom with all the wires in, and the one on the right is with the extraneous ones removed:

At least everything is color coded???

I'm glad I have only a few fuses and relays, even if that means keeping the fusible links (that have been good for the past 456k miles)

At least everything is color coded???

I'm glad I have only a few fuses and relays, even if that means keeping the fusible links (that have been good for the past 456k miles)

Yes, all the wires have a base color and then two stripes. And if I didn't have the PDB going in the perfect spot I'd probably leave the fuse links in place. But I do so I won't. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, all the wires have a base color and then two stripes. And if I didn't have the PDB going in the perfect spot I'd probably leave the fuse links in place. But I do so I won't. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I'm kinda glad mine is as small and unobtrusive as it is, even if it doesn't have room to replace the three fuse links.

Hopefully, I can get the last relay wired up to the blower, call it done, and do a small write-up with links to products used.

I'm kinda glad mine is as small and unobtrusive as it is, even if it doesn't have room to replace the three fuse links.

Hopefully, I can get the last relay wired up to the blower, call it done, and do a small write-up with links to products used.

I think your way and Scott's way are easier. But I've been wanting to do this "upgrade", if indeed it is, for years on a Bullnose. And with the 1G-to-3G plus ammeter-to-voltmeter swaps, I needed to get into the wiring. But I didn't want that shunt still there, so.... And I needed relays. And..... things mushroomed as they always do with me. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I'm going to be happy - when it is done. And the big FORD oval on the lid to the PDB is going to have people asking questions. As will the dual snorkel air cleaner, at least until the EFI goes on. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I think your way and Scott's way are easier. But I've been wanting to do this "upgrade", if indeed it is, for years on a Bullnose. And with the 1G-to-3G plus ammeter-to-voltmeter swaps, I needed to get into the wiring. But I didn't want that shunt still there, so.... And I needed relays. And..... things mushroomed as they always do with me. :nabble_smiley_blush:

I'm going to be happy - when it is done. And the big FORD oval on the lid to the PDB is going to have people asking questions. As will the dual snorkel air cleaner, at least until the EFI goes on. :nabble_smiley_evil:

I wasn't going to say anything but seeing all those wires coming out of the bottom of it did make me want to post another link to the ssVEC :nabble_anim_blbl:

I do agree - having the Ford oval on there will be a nice touch.