Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

It is simple and no adjustment is required unlike some others (GM and Chrysler).

You guys knew, but I sure didn't. Do now. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, I got what I intended to do done, and then some. The plan was to get the switches hooked up, inc the clutch and brake switches, and then the wiring tucked up and tied. I got that done, but as I was doing it I realized that the speed control wiring was right there, and I knew it had been hacked. Then I realized that there was no vacuum dump hose for the speed control. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So it was time to pull out the speed control wiring and install some that I had in the attic. Got the old out, and there wasn't much of it, and then the new in and fed through the firewall. In fact, I not only got the amplifier put back where it belongs but I installed the servo under the hood and connected it up.

Then I thought I'd put the instrument cluster back in, but as I was doing that I remembered that I don't like the blue LED's. So it was time to install the White ones I got from HiPo Parts. That done I tested and all of them worked, which was strange 'cause probability says that half should be in backwards. On a whim I reversed the leads and sure enough, all of them worked that way as well. WOW! I think I can safely recommend these LED's, but I'll have to wait until dark some day to get a good pic of what the gauges look like.

But before I install the cluster I need to remember to install the voltmeter that Rocketman converted. So it is not quite ready to go back in, but soon.

Also, in the pic you can see a bit of the tranny cover. I was SURE I had the cover that I had in Dad's truck, which is the tall one I got from Shaun years ago, and it is cut for the ZF as well as a t-case shifter. But so far the only tall one I've found is for a 2WD auto - no holes. May have to go looking for another tall cover.

:nabble_anim_confused:

And, it is about time to order the sound deadening material 'cause I think the next steps will be to kill the rust on the floor and then add the sound deadening. Then I can add the carpet and seat and it'll start looking like a truck. So, what sound deadening material do you'se guys recommend?

Steering_Column_In__Switches_Connected.thumb.jpg.4990e7d65212e8916461efabacb46dc8.jpg

You guys knew, but I sure didn't. Do now. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Anyway, I got what I intended to do done, and then some. The plan was to get the switches hooked up, inc the clutch and brake switches, and then the wiring tucked up and tied. I got that done, but as I was doing it I realized that the speed control wiring was right there, and I knew it had been hacked. Then I realized that there was no vacuum dump hose for the speed control. :nabble_smiley_cry:

So it was time to pull out the speed control wiring and install some that I had in the attic. Got the old out, and there wasn't much of it, and then the new in and fed through the firewall. In fact, I not only got the amplifier put back where it belongs but I installed the servo under the hood and connected it up.

Then I thought I'd put the instrument cluster back in, but as I was doing that I remembered that I don't like the blue LED's. So it was time to install the White ones I got from HiPo Parts. That done I tested and all of them worked, which was strange 'cause probability says that half should be in backwards. On a whim I reversed the leads and sure enough, all of them worked that way as well. WOW! I think I can safely recommend these LED's, but I'll have to wait until dark some day to get a good pic of what the gauges look like.

But before I install the cluster I need to remember to install the voltmeter that Rocketman converted. So it is not quite ready to go back in, but soon.

Also, in the pic you can see a bit of the tranny cover. I was SURE I had the cover that I had in Dad's truck, which is the tall one I got from Shaun years ago, and it is cut for the ZF as well as a t-case shifter. But so far the only tall one I've found is for a 2WD auto - no holes. May have to go looking for another tall cover.

:nabble_anim_confused:

And, it is about time to order the sound deadening material 'cause I think the next steps will be to kill the rust on the floor and then add the sound deadening. Then I can add the carpet and seat and it'll start looking like a truck. So, what sound deadening material do you'se guys recommend?

I started a new thread for Sound Control and moved several of the comments from this thread on sound deadening material there.

And, I started another new thread on Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing, and showed the results of my testing of Big Blue's instrument cluster lighting there. However, here's a shot of that cluster and the HiPo Cool White LED's. I like it!

HiPo_Cool_White__Testors_Paint.thumb.jpg.6c17c7eb3c30a49c0d4f66945c074e7f.jpg

And I swapped the Rocketman voltmeter into that cluster today. But as I was about to install the cluster I saw the ICVR and decided I'd better replace it with one of the adjustable kinds. Fortunately I found a fairly good writeup on that here (Documentation/Electrical/ICVR). So I pulled out my extra regulator and was just about to follow the overly-complex instructions and then realized that this regulator is the one I took apart and it doesn't have the heat sink on it.

Given that, I ordered one of the DE-SWADJ3 regulators and will install it when it comes in next week.

And, speaking of ordering things, as described in this thread I just ordered a pair of kick panels and vents in the correct blue.

So, while not a whole lot got ticked off on the list, lots of things are happening.

I started a new thread for Sound Control and moved several of the comments from this thread on sound deadening material there.

And, I started another new thread on Instrument Lighting & Paint Testing, and showed the results of my testing of Big Blue's instrument cluster lighting there. However, here's a shot of that cluster and the HiPo Cool White LED's. I like it!

And I swapped the Rocketman voltmeter into that cluster today. But as I was about to install the cluster I saw the ICVR and decided I'd better replace it with one of the adjustable kinds. Fortunately I found a fairly good writeup on that here (Documentation/Electrical/ICVR). So I pulled out my extra regulator and was just about to follow the overly-complex instructions and then realized that this regulator is the one I took apart and it doesn't have the heat sink on it.

Given that, I ordered one of the DE-SWADJ3 regulators and will install it when it comes in next week.

And, speaking of ordering things, as described in this thread I just ordered a pair of kick panels and vents in the correct blue.

So, while not a whole lot got ticked off on the list, lots of things are happening.

And, as Jim has been known to say, "progress is good!" :nabble_smiley_good:

And, as Jim has been known to say, "progress is good!" :nabble_smiley_good:

Thanks, David. :nabble_anim_handshake:

As for what I did today towards Big Blue's Transformation, not much. I've gotten hung up testing LED's and fluorescent paint, emailing with Bill @ HiPo Parts, and correcting posts. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, one thing I did yesterday was to stuff a DE-SWADJ voltage regulator in an ICVR can. I'd started the work on it quite some time ago but it got put on the shelf for some reason. However, when I realized that I didn't have another regulator and I wanted to finish the gauges, I revived the effort.

It is done and it works. I've been running it for a couple of hours and the case is just barely warm. In fact, the warmest spot I can find on the case is 82F, and most of the case is below 80F. So the case and the ground/mounting tab are enough for heat dissipation.

Having said that, I don't recommend stuffing one of those in that case. It wasn't easy and required separating the heat sink from the regulator, placing the heat sink in the case, and then hoping I got the regulator back on the sink correctly so the transistors touch it.

Anyway, here's what it looks like while I'm testing:

Testing_the_ICVR.thumb.jpg.ee413c7e8bd6cac470e83379fe0eb4b0.jpg

Thanks, David. :nabble_anim_handshake:

As for what I did today towards Big Blue's Transformation, not much. I've gotten hung up testing LED's and fluorescent paint, emailing with Bill @ HiPo Parts, and correcting posts. :nabble_smiley_blush:

But, one thing I did yesterday was to stuff a DE-SWADJ voltage regulator in an ICVR can. I'd started the work on it quite some time ago but it got put on the shelf for some reason. However, when I realized that I didn't have another regulator and I wanted to finish the gauges, I revived the effort.

It is done and it works. I've been running it for a couple of hours and the case is just barely warm. In fact, the warmest spot I can find on the case is 82F, and most of the case is below 80F. So the case and the ground/mounting tab are enough for heat dissipation.

Having said that, I don't recommend stuffing one of those in that case. It wasn't easy and required separating the heat sink from the regulator, placing the heat sink in the case, and then hoping I got the regulator back on the sink correctly so the transistors touch it.

Anyway, here's what it looks like while I'm testing:

It's all in the details! :nabble_smiley_wink:

It certainly is!

So, I'm assuming 5.2V @ operating temperature?

Yes, it is all in the details. There are just so MANY details!

On the voltage regulator/ICVR, when I did my testing some time ago I found that 5.4v brought most of the many gauges I tried to full scale with the 12 ohm resistor, so that's what I set this one to.

But I'm not going to install the cluster just yet. As you may have seen in the other thread, I've ordered the HiPo blue LED's and will test them as well as other lighting options with both Big Blue's cluster as well as the other one I painted using the HiPo paint.