Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I haven't been very diligent updating the check list, but I just did. Feels very good to tick off several boxes, but there are several more that are poised to be checked soon. Like the brake system, the hydroboost system, and the Saginaw power steering pump.

And, speaking of the Saginaw pump, as posted in the Hydroboost Planning thread, I think I got the last issue sorted today, which was the pump-to-booster hose.

After that, I moved on to the firewall brace. Got the truck back far enough that I could get in fairly easily and looked up under the dash and found this. Note that the bolt holes to the side aren't being used. In fact, the only fasteners being used are those of the clutch master cylinder.

Here's a comparison on that brace to the Terrapin one that is going in. Which is stronger? :nabble_smiley_evil:

And here's the Terrapin brace in place. Note that there are tabs on the top and side which have backing plates to go on the other side of the cowl and transmission hump. I'll use them, but wonder what the best sealant is for the plates? I'll use Loctite on the threads, but what is best between the plates and the body?

The little plate does need to be tied to the tunnel..

But if it's in place BEFORE the firewall is delaminated it is really all that's needed.

And, there's no real disassembly required.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The little plate does need to be tied to the tunnel..

But if it's in place BEFORE the firewall is delaminated it is really all that's needed.

And, there's no real disassembly required.

Jim - I don't understand the comment about disassembly. But, I'm pretty sure the firewall isn't delaminated yet. And I might as well use the bigger brace as I have it.

But, no comment about sealant? You are the chemicals guru. RTV? Blackjack? The Right Stuff? Forma-A-Gasket?

Jim - I don't understand the comment about disassembly. But, I'm pretty sure the firewall isn't delaminated yet. And I might as well use the bigger brace as I have it.

But, no comment about sealant? You are the chemicals guru. RTV? Blackjack? The Right Stuff? Forma-A-Gasket?

I would just use a good body seam sealer, the purpose is to keep water from getting between the brace and firewall.

I would just use a good body seam sealer, the purpose is to keep water from getting between the brace and firewall.

Not sure I have seam sealer, but I'll check.

However, the purpose is to keep water from getting under the backing plates and then through the holes in the cowl and tranny hump. There are two backing plates that have nutserts in them, and they go on the other side of the cowl and tranny hump so the bolts that go through the holes you can see in the brace don't leak.

I'll use thread sealer on the bolts, but want to keep water from going under the backing plates and through the holes beside the bolts.

New_Firewall_Brace_Trial_Fitted.thumb.jpg.7f2c9aa4f753dbd3f760a8c944d983c0.jpg

I'm no kind of "guru", I'm just a lifelong materials science geek. 😄

You only have to take off the clutch master in order to install the longer studs that come with the triangle kit.

That OTHER monstrosity, you've got to remove the steering column, pedal box, and who knows what else, just to get it in position!

Bill is right. Regular seam sealant is going to outlast you.

If you REALLY wanted to go full Gary, you might use something like 3M 5200.

It's a polysulfide marine sealant used on through hull fittings and other penetrations below the waterline.

If you glue the plate up with that even a bomb wouldn't get it loose.

I'm no kind of "guru", I'm just a lifelong materials science geek. 😄

You only have to take off the clutch master in order to install the longer studs that come with the triangle kit.

That OTHER monstrosity, you've got to remove the steering column, pedal box, and who knows what else, just to get it in position!

Bill is right. Regular seam sealant is going to outlast you.

If you REALLY wanted to go full Gary, you might use something like 3M 5200.

It's a polysulfide marine sealant used on through hull fittings and other penetrations below the waterline.

If you glue the plate up with that even a bomb wouldn't get it loose.

You didn't notice in the pic the absence of a steering column, pedal box, et al?

The "other monstrosity" is going in. In fact, it is in place and I just have to mark and drill the holes, which I hope to do tomorrow.

But I don't want to glue it in. Instead I want to seal it. I'll see what I have to-hand. :nabble_smiley_wink:

You didn't notice in the pic the absence of a steering column, pedal box, et al?The "other monstrosity" is going in. In fact, it is in place and I just have to mark and drill the holes, which I hope to do tomorrow.But I don't want to glue it in. Instead I want to seal it. I'll see what I have to-hand. :nabble_smiley_wink:
I'm not waiting for that page to load again...

I'm saying using the triangle brace prophylacticly doesn't require disassembling EVERYTHING attached to the firewall on the left side.

5200 is a sealant, not a glue.

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020, 11:46 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

Now I understand. Thanks.

But in my case the steering column had to come out 'cause the tilt-column part is broken and it won't always start. (I am probably going back in w/the non-tilt column to ensure I don't have that happen at the worst possible time. After all, the truck is going to be rather tall and people will use the wheel to help them in.)

And, the pedals had to come out so I could put the hydroboost pedal in, as well as add the starter switch on the clutch. Plus I wanted to ensure that the bushings were good.

So, I might as well use the monster.

As for the loading time, would it help if I cut my picture size down in future? Is that causing you a problem?

Now I understand. Thanks.

But in my case the steering column had to come out 'cause the tilt-column part is broken and it won't always start. (I am probably going back in w/the non-tilt column to ensure I don't have that happen at the worst possible time. After all, the truck is going to be rather tall and people will use the wheel to help them in.)

And, the pedals had to come out so I could put the hydroboost pedal in, as well as add the starter switch on the clutch. Plus I wanted to ensure that the bushings were good.

So, I might as well use the monster.

As for the loading time, would it help if I cut my picture size down in future? Is that causing you a problem?

I understand why you used the big reinforcement.

99 9/10 of people won't have their cab stripped when their firewall fails, no will they have the facility to do so.

I think my signal is not great and the backhaul is overwhelmed.

Remember back when there were 56k warnings for picture laden pages?!?! 🤣

It seems so quaint now.

I understand why you used the big reinforcement.

99 9/10 of people won't have their cab stripped when their firewall fails, no will they have the facility to do so.

I think my signal is not great and the backhaul is overwhelmed.

Remember back when there were 56k warnings for picture laden pages?!?! 🤣

It seems so quaint now.

I remember acoustic couplers. So yes, I remember the 56k warnings.

I've been maximizing my picture size to get max clarity. But, I'd forgotten about you being on limited bandwidth. I'll cut the size back on future posts and lets see if that helps.

Yes, the brace may be overkill, but it is what I have and I might as well use it. The HD clutch that's going in will add some strain on the firewall, so it is good insurance. And it may add some rigidity to the steering column, which won't be a bad thing given the overlanding I hope to be doing.

Speaking of which, I was worried about people using the steering wheel to hoist themselves in and breaking, again, the part in the tilt column. (I've had to remind myself about that problem every time I get in.) But I hadn't thought about the driver using the wheel to hang onto in overlanding. So that pretty well cinches it - I think the fixed column needs to go in.