Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Not meant to be a criticism, just another observation of your obsession.

It certainly makes me feel much better about how crazy I think I get about cleanliness and prep.

I'm not taking it as criticism. But I'm glad to make you fell better. :nabble_smiley_evil:

As for getting all the grit out, I blew the halves out with 100+ psi air very carefully. Then I washed them with copious quantities of brake cleaner until the brake cleaner came out/off clean. And then, after baking them in the oven at 400F for an hour, I washed them with brake cleaner again.

But, before I start assembling the t-case I'll clean up some spots where powder got where a seal goes and then blast them with air again, just to be sure.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks, Dane. Yes, with a nice finish it should be able to be cleaned easily.

Didn't expect to get anything done on Big Blue today for two reasons. First, we had a doctor's checkup in Tulsa today and that usually takes a lot of the day. We were early and things went perfectly so we got home early. And second, I planned to take the rest of the day to scan things in.

But, the new rear tranny mount came in today so I just couldn't help installing it since that will be lots easier than after the t-case is on. So I'll start on assembling the t-case tomorrow. But the rear crossmember is now all buttoned down.

New_Rear_Tranny_Mount_On.thumb.jpg.347779d15cee1c45f55b7aa6801c2493.jpg

Didn't expect to get anything done on Big Blue today for two reasons. First, we had a doctor's checkup in Tulsa today and that usually takes a lot of the day. We were early and things went perfectly so we got home early. And second, I planned to take the rest of the day to scan things in.

But, the new rear tranny mount came in today so I just couldn't help installing it since that will be lots easier than after the t-case is on. So I'll start on assembling the t-case tomorrow. But the rear crossmember is now all buttoned down.

Nice! :nabble_anim_claps:

That looks great Gary! :nabble_smiley_good:

Be sure to put a little moly paste on those splines before you bolt up the T-case.

No you wouldn't... 🙄

I know you have checklists for your checklists. 🤔

I still have most of a tube of Honda Moly 60 paste.

Amazing how far that stuff goes!

Glad you have confidence in me, Jim. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, I got the case halves cleaned up and maybe half of the t-case together today. I have two of the three seals in, but only one of the two ball bearings and none of the needle bearings. So, maybe half way?

Having said that, there's a tool you are supposed to have to hold the sun gear (reduction carrier assembly in Fordspeak) in the neutral position as you install it. I don't have it, but I think I got the assembly in correctly. However, we aren't in a position to be able to shift yet, so I don't know. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Anyway, here's where I am on the left, and the tool I'm talking about on the right. Oh yes, I'm sure glad we have the Borg Warner instructions. They are far better than those in the FSM, which we also have.

T-Case_Maybe_Halfway_Together.thumb.jpg.662763e79020cf826aede8ed5799294d.jpgTool_For_Reduction_Carrier_Assy.jpg.db52d3243844e805e80d986627e7555f.jpg