Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I think straight super clean would have gotten it. That stuff is amazing ... and very cheap. I just used it on a antique cast iron pan to strip off 80 years of gunk. Sprayed it down and sat it in the sun in trash bag it came out bare metal.

Used it to strip the grease and paint off my valve cover, clean grease off of cloths, in the sonic cleaner to clean all the small truck parts I have off, degrease my grill and smoker you name it.

Super Clean might have gotten it clean, but it wouldn't have removed the stain. I was down to bare metal on the vast majority of the surface of the two halves, but there was that stain. But blasting got the stain off.

So, as Shaun suggested, I'll probably move on to preparing for powder. Not a lot to do but to blow them off very carefully with compressed air, rinse them with brake cleaner, bake them at 400 for an hour to drive off any embedded yuk, rinse them again, and then apply the powder and bake again. Oh, and I forgot the masking step. :nabble_smiley_wink:

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Super Clean might have gotten it clean, but it wouldn't have removed the stain. I was down to bare metal on the vast majority of the surface of the two halves, but there was that stain. But blasting got the stain off.

So, as Shaun suggested, I'll probably move on to preparing for powder. Not a lot to do but to blow them off very carefully with compressed air, rinse them with brake cleaner, bake them at 400 for an hour to drive off any embedded yuk, rinse them again, and then apply the powder and bake again. Oh, and I forgot the masking step. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not going to get much, if anything, done on Big Blue today as we have church, then a luncheon, then make 3 dozen sandwiches, then a church service at the retirement home, and then the Super Bowl. But, I thought I'd take some time to set the record straight on the oil pump issue.

Turns out that the oil pump for the BW1345 is entirely different than that of the BW1356. The latter has an arm that rides on the case and can cause problems w/o having something added to it that spreads the load so it doesn't damage the case. But the 1345's oil pump doesn't ride on the case.

I'll try to remember to take some pics as this one goes back together, but the pic below from the FSM shows it fairly well. The oil pump slides over the rear output shaft and has four screws that secure its cover instead of having an arm that hits the side of the case. So there's no need for modification.

T-Case_Oil_Pump_Picture.thumb.jpg.7098958378b6a94306453251d3fa2732.jpg

Not going to get much, if anything, done on Big Blue today as we have church, then a luncheon, then make 3 dozen sandwiches, then a church service at the retirement home, and then the Super Bowl. But, I thought I'd take some time to set the record straight on the oil pump issue.

Turns out that the oil pump for the BW1345 is entirely different than that of the BW1356. The latter has an arm that rides on the case and can cause problems w/o having something added to it that spreads the load so it doesn't damage the case. But the 1345's oil pump doesn't ride on the case.

I'll try to remember to take some pics as this one goes back together, but the pic below from the FSM shows it fairly well. The oil pump slides over the rear output shaft and has four screws that secure its cover instead of having an arm that hits the side of the case. So there's no need for modification.

Got the t-case PC'd today. Here are a few shots.

However, it'll probably be Friday before I get to start assembling the thing. We have a funeral at church tomorrow that'll take essentially all day, and Wed & Thursday we have appointments in Tulsa. So doubt much will get done 'til Friday.

Scott - Is this what you had in mind? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's the bolts and yokes:

T-Case_Parts_Powder_Coated.thumb.jpg.3bdb50e275081f364372b0177f948682.jpg

Here's the t-case front:

T-Case_Front_-_Powder_Coated.thumb.jpg.6e715598d0561d328a6b75936aadafc1.jpg

And the back:

T-Case_Back_-_Powder_Coated.thumb.jpg.6011771b0375f2b6d644952ba66858d0.jpg

Got the t-case PC'd today. Here are a few shots.

However, it'll probably be Friday before I get to start assembling the thing. We have a funeral at church tomorrow that'll take essentially all day, and Wed & Thursday we have appointments in Tulsa. So doubt much will get done 'til Friday.

Scott - Is this what you had in mind? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Here's the bolts and yokes:

Here's the t-case front:

And the back:

As I was crawling around under my truck and Bronco yesterday the thought struck me how different my trucks look compared to yours from that angle! I don't worry about things like stains on the transfer case. I've got such a mess from the various oil leaks and so forth that stains on the transfer case are pretty much covered anyway!

But that is pretty, and there's something (positive!) to be said for that!

As I was crawling around under my truck and Bronco yesterday the thought struck me how different my trucks look compared to yours from that angle! I don't worry about things like stains on the transfer case. I've got such a mess from the various oil leaks and so forth that stains on the transfer case are pretty much covered anyway!

But that is pretty, and there's something (positive!) to be said for that!

Thanks, Bob. :nabble_smiley_good:

It won't make it work any better, but it makes me feel better.

Heck, two pages ago you said you weren't going there.... 🙄

Yep, you are right. But, it took me less time to blast and PC the thing than I spent on trying to clean it. I'm happy with what I have.

As said, it is my hobby, and hobbies aren't always rational. My mother collected brick. Hard to drive brick. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yep, you are right. But, it took me less time to blast and PC the thing than I spent on trying to clean it. I'm happy with what I have.

As said, it is my hobby, and hobbies aren't always rational. My mother collected brick. Hard to drive brick. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Not meant to be a criticism, just another observation of your obsession.

It certainly makes me feel much better about how crazy I think I get about cleanliness and prep.