• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But she changed her mind one day.

Yep, according to Creeque Alley:

When Cass was a sophomore, planned to go to Swarthmore

But she changed her mind one day

As for what I'm into now, it is time for the t-case rebuild. Here's what the workstation looks like, with:

• New parts, meaning gaskets, seals, bearings, and double-cardon front yoke on the left

• Dirty BW1345 in the middle

• Special Tool: That's a 1 1/4" socket on top, which is the size of the nuts on the output shafts. However, that thing measured 1.730" OD and the recess in the yokes measures 1.670" ID and .900 deep. So he took a few spins in the lathe and came out measuring 1.650" on the last 1.0".

• IPad: Got to thinking that I'll want to be following the either the FSM's or Borg-Warner's instructions, both of which we have on the Transfer Case page, but I don't want to have to come back to the computer for each step. Then it dawned on me that we have an OLD iPad that we initially set up for the g-kids, replete with a pretty serious rubber case. But, it is sooooo old and slooooow that no one wanted to use it. :nabble_smiley_beam:

T-Case_Rebuild_Time.thumb.jpg.1a8bb9603319f2744dc2492154927ddb.jpg

So, now to get dirtier! (Got dirty just carrying the thing in. :nabble_smiley_cry:)

As for what I'm into now, it is time for the t-case rebuild. Here's what the workstation looks like, with:

• New parts, meaning gaskets, seals, bearings, and double-cardon front yoke on the left

• Dirty BW1345 in the middle

• Special Tool: That's a 1 1/4" socket on top, which is the size of the nuts on the output shafts. However, that thing measured 1.730" OD and the recess in the yokes measures 1.670" ID and .900 deep. So he took a few spins in the lathe and came out measuring 1.650" on the last 1.0".

• IPad: Got to thinking that I'll want to be following the either the FSM's or Borg-Warner's instructions, both of which we have on the Transfer Case page, but I don't want to have to come back to the computer for each step. Then it dawned on me that we have an OLD iPad that we initially set up for the g-kids, replete with a pretty serious rubber case. But, it is sooooo old and slooooow that no one wanted to use it. :nabble_smiley_beam:

So, now to get dirtier! (Got dirty just carrying the thing in. :nabble_smiley_cry:)

Got the t-case something like 95% apart. Just need to get the seals and bearings out. Then I'll run the case halves through the parts washer and start reassembly. Tomorrow.

And I only had one minor problem. One case bolt twisted off immediately as I was pulling them out. Turns out it had fractured some time ago and had only a very tiny amount of metal holding it together. But once the cases were apart it came out with vice grips.

Note how clean this thing is! I'm surprised and pleased. Just the bearings and seals and it'll be good to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

Almost_Apart.thumb.jpg.8a4fd9ffd8a0bf18bad8703a089aeeb7.jpg

Got the t-case something like 95% apart. Just need to get the seals and bearings out. Then I'll run the case halves through the parts washer and start reassembly. Tomorrow.

And I only had one minor problem. One case bolt twisted off immediately as I was pulling them out. Turns out it had fractured some time ago and had only a very tiny amount of metal holding it together. But once the cases were apart it came out with vice grips.

Note how clean this thing is! I'm surprised and pleased. Just the bearings and seals and it'll be good to go. :nabble_smiley_good:

That's what it looks like before the parts washer?!?! I can't believe how clean the inside is... Mine definitely isn't. Brown goo came out when I opened the drain plug. I think water got in when I washed the outside(through the empty speedo gear slot which I guess I plugged insufficiently), then mixed with old dirty fluid. I haven't opened it, just going to fill it with new fluid and hope for the best. Might change it after running a few weeks(when I eventually get it running) to flush it. Anyway, seems like you've got a case with good bones there.

And a real nice workstation...

That's what it looks like before the parts washer?!?! I can't believe how clean the inside is... Mine definitely isn't. Brown goo came out when I opened the drain plug. I think water got in when I washed the outside(through the empty speedo gear slot which I guess I plugged insufficiently), then mixed with old dirty fluid. I haven't opened it, just going to fill it with new fluid and hope for the best. Might change it after running a few weeks(when I eventually get it running) to flush it. Anyway, seems like you've got a case with good bones there.

And a real nice workstation...

Thanks. Yes, it is a nice workstation and the t-case seems to be in good shape. In fact, when I showed my wife that pic of the t-case she made a similar comment about how clean it is.

Having said that, the outside is pretty messy. So the effort tomorrow will be to clean the outside, not the inside.

The idea of tearing something like that apart sounds both fun and scary at the same time to me lol. Mostly because I have not done it before and the perfectionist side of me would be worried about screwing it up. 14 credit hours to do this semester plus 50 hour work weeks so I can sit here and just dream of wrenching on stuff.

The idea of tearing something like that apart sounds both fun and scary at the same time to me lol. Mostly because I have not done it before and the perfectionist side of me would be worried about screwing it up.

I completely agree with you, but I rebuilt the T18 for my '86 rebuild I'm going through. I did not remove the reverse idler or counter shafts and I did not rebuild the upper housing, but it was pretty simple, just took time as I went slow and made sure I read the directions plenty of times. Trans was in really good shape except for leaking seals and I didn't want to put a trans back in with known leaks. There were some specialty tools that were very nice to have though and my Dad and Father-in-law were both around that day to help. If you have done it before, a second set of hands is definitely a good thing.

The idea of tearing something like that apart sounds both fun and scary at the same time to me lol. Mostly because I have not done it before and the perfectionist side of me would be worried about screwing it up.

I completely agree with you, but I rebuilt the T18 for my '86 rebuild I'm going through. I did not remove the reverse idler or counter shafts and I did not rebuild the upper housing, but it was pretty simple, just took time as I went slow and made sure I read the directions plenty of times. Trans was in really good shape except for leaking seals and I didn't want to put a trans back in with known leaks. There were some specialty tools that were very nice to have though and my Dad and Father-in-law were both around that day to help. If you have done it before, a second set of hands is definitely a good thing.

I'm fortunate that through work I have access to Ford rebuild guides that go through everything piece by piece, nut by nut and tell you every tool you need,s o you literally can't mess it up.

However, I'd be nervous myself. I can rebuild you an engine or axle all day but transmissions and transfer cases scare me.