Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yipes! You are probably right. Do you have part numbers for that? Maybe I'd better look for one.

Not that I saw in the thread that photo came from. It was just a discussion regarding ZF5 crossmembers and FSuperDuty versions and the consensus was that the FSD version was wrong and a Ford ZF5 4x4 crossmember was necessary to run a 4x4 ZF5.

• Crossmember: I forgot to cross reference the crossmember Jim sent me from the '95 SuperDuty, but the ID # on it is F4TF-LA, although the "5025" is left off. None of the others I have were close to working, but this one just required a slot cut in it, as shown below, and the bottom frame holes re-drilled.

• Insulator/Mount: E7TZ 6068-C. This isn't the absolute correct one for that crossmember, as you'll see, but it fits the transmission and didn't take much to adapt the crossmember to it.

Now to the crossmember. Here's a shot of how the insulator/mount hits this crossmember, showing that the right stud would go through the slot, but not the left stud.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n49508/Notching_Crossmember.jpg

Gary,

I wish I had been paying better attention, I probably could have warned you about this. I ran into the exact same issue with the M5OD-R2 5spd swap in my F150. I guess the same issue exists with the ZF-5.

For some reason, Ford changed the crossmember and rear transmission mount in 1994 (I believe). My M5OD was from a 1991 F250 2wd, so I just ordered a new rear mount for a 1991. My transmission crossmember I believe is a 1994. When I went digging into the part numbers on Rock Auto, I could see that they changed the rear mount in 1994. All the prior mounts had wider studs.

1994 Rear transmission mount:

622884_1__ra_p.jpg.8d7a4435fd2177bcb8d0ee5e67b1f982.jpg

1991 Rear transmission mount:

622557_1__ra_p.jpg.7729156cf1efb7c7faf61225081e3484.jpg

I wasn't in any kind of rush when I was doing it, so I just went to the auto parts and swapped my mount for a newer version. The transmission side of the mounts are all the same.

• Crossmember: I forgot to cross reference the crossmember Jim sent me from the '95 SuperDuty, but the ID # on it is F4TF-LA, although the "5025" is left off. None of the others I have were close to working, but this one just required a slot cut in it, as shown below, and the bottom frame holes re-drilled.

• Insulator/Mount: E7TZ 6068-C. This isn't the absolute correct one for that crossmember, as you'll see, but it fits the transmission and didn't take much to adapt the crossmember to it.

Now to the crossmember. Here's a shot of how the insulator/mount hits this crossmember, showing that the right stud would go through the slot, but not the left stud.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n49508/Notching_Crossmember.jpg

Gary,

I wish I had been paying better attention, I probably could have warned you about this. I ran into the exact same issue with the M5OD-R2 5spd swap in my F150. I guess the same issue exists with the ZF-5.

For some reason, Ford changed the crossmember and rear transmission mount in 1994 (I believe). My M5OD was from a 1991 F250 2wd, so I just ordered a new rear mount for a 1991. My transmission crossmember I believe is a 1994. When I went digging into the part numbers on Rock Auto, I could see that they changed the rear mount in 1994. All the prior mounts had wider studs.

1994 Rear transmission mount:

1991 Rear transmission mount:

I wasn't in any kind of rush when I was doing it, so I just went to the auto parts and swapped my mount for a newer version. The transmission side of the mounts are all the same.

Picture of my crossmember...

IMG_3828.jpg.82a81e2b5a28537d1f4fe9f27f97f3fc.jpg

You can actually see the difference between the two below. The 5spd crossmember holes are a little narrower than on my old 3spd crossmember.

IMG_3817.jpg.68054da747c9324f2299eef6bbf7921b.jpg

Those mounting holes had been the same for a long time, so why they changed them in a 1994 I have no idea.

Picture of my crossmember...

You can actually see the difference between the two below. The 5spd crossmember holes are a little narrower than on my old 3spd crossmember.

Those mounting holes had been the same for a long time, so why they changed them in a 1994 I have no idea.

This truck *should* have the correct crossmember, but it isn't cheap.

1995 F250 Diesel/5SPD 4x4 crossmember

Those are two good questions. We won't know on the first one until I get everything together, but maybe Jim can answer the second one.

The F-450 (Superduty) has a huge forging for the front axle.

It's not 4x4, because the transmission output is used for the parking brake.

Oooh! That's a drag. Sorry 😞

You're going to need the braces -and- the crossmember, it seems.

At least the left side one....

Personally, I'm in the "I've got a torch and I know how to use it!" camp.

But, I know you're not me.

Cory - Not your fault as I didn't mention the issue nor what I was doing until I was done. The new mount I ordered is the old/wider style, but Rock Auto has them quite cheaply so I'll probably order in the right one once I get the right crossmember.

Shaun - Yipes! That's expensive. But thanks for finding it. Shame they didn't show a picture of the crossmember so we'd know it is the right one.

And speaking of the right one, I think it is about time I invest in a 90's MPC. It would help immensely to know what trucks that crossmember was used in. Perhaps I could find one at a salvage locally - for less than $250.

Apparently what makes this more difficult is that I have an '85 with an '88+ transmission and a '95 front axle with a RSK and SuperDuty springs. I'd been thinking that even the Bullnose crossmember should work - it did on Dad's truck. But that truck had a standard ride height, and Big Blue is much higher. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Jim - Thanks. Back when you sent that crossmember there was no thought of a D60 and an RSK with SD springs. Apparently that's where the problem arose - the extra height.

Cory - Not your fault as I didn't mention the issue nor what I was doing until I was done. The new mount I ordered is the old/wider style, but Rock Auto has them quite cheaply so I'll probably order in the right one once I get the right crossmember.

Shaun - Yipes! That's expensive. But thanks for finding it. Shame they didn't show a picture of the crossmember so we'd know it is the right one.

And speaking of the right one, I think it is about time I invest in a 90's MPC. It would help immensely to know what trucks that crossmember was used in. Perhaps I could find one at a salvage locally - for less than $250.

Apparently what makes this more difficult is that I have an '85 with an '88+ transmission and a '95 front axle with a RSK and SuperDuty springs. I'd been thinking that even the Bullnose crossmember should work - it did on Dad's truck. But that truck had a standard ride height, and Big Blue is much higher. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Jim - Thanks. Back when you sent that crossmember there was no thought of a D60 and an RSK with SD springs. Apparently that's where the problem arose - the extra height.

As I recall I was scrambling to strip that truck of what all was wanted before it went to the shredder.

I still don't see why you couldn't just modify whatever crossmember and brace you DO have.

It's certainly not a maintenance item or looking to get replaced once functional and in place.