Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I get how surface roughness affects laminar flow, and that you can keep the flow attached or never let it attach. Just like dimples on a golf ball.

Plenum volume is definitely acting to damp how quickly the carb gets a signal from the engine.

Like I said,do know what to do with a Holley, but not an AFB.

My AVS is a little easier to adjust (from the top) but you are the carb guru.

Bill - Thanks for that. What I think you said is that it is likely this is a problem caused by a combination of the intake and the carb. The intake was designed for air and not air & fuel. And the carb would need to be modified to work with it, which I don't want to do. However, enrichening the idle and raising the float level may help.

Is that a fair summary?

If so, I think I'll try the idle and float level trick for Saturday's 200 mile trip up to the Big Iron Overland Rally in SE Kansas. If that helps enough I'll leave it alone and work on other things. If not, I'll probably put the Street Demon on and see if it helps. But I don't want to spend too much time working out the issues with a carb when I'm going with EFI.

Bill - Thanks for that. What I think you said is that it is likely this is a problem caused by a combination of the intake and the carb. The intake was designed for air and not air & fuel. And the carb would need to be modified to work with it, which I don't want to do. However, enrichening the idle and raising the float level may help.

Is that a fair summary?

If so, I think I'll try the idle and float level trick for Saturday's 200 mile trip up to the Big Iron Overland Rally in SE Kansas. If that helps enough I'll leave it alone and work on other things. If not, I'll probably put the Street Demon on and see if it helps. But I don't want to spend too much time working out the issues with a carb when I'm going with EFI.

At the risk of sounding obnoxious, get off your backside and put the EFI system on! Quit fiddling with other crap and get BB running right.

At the risk of sounding obnoxious, get off your backside and put the EFI system on! Quit fiddling with other crap and get BB running right.

Yeah, I do need to do the EFI. But I want to use the truck this summer and then do the EFI this winter.

Yeah, I do need to do the EFI. But I want to use the truck this summer and then do the EFI this winter.

Well, the teething problems are certainly going to keep me from installing EFI any time soon. When I came out to the shop today I was greeted with this: :nabble_smiley_cry:

ATF__Engine_Oil_Leaks.thumb.jpg.5216cf9ceb731c9df87310206ae3933a.jpg

The closest puddle is ATF, and here's what I found when I started inspecting. I'd put the paper towels on some time ago to try to trace where the leak was coming from, but apparently the leak during yesterday's trip was too much for that one. I spent the next many minutes cleaning the underside of the truck where it had blown back or dripped down.

Then I spent the next hour or so tightening up clamps and fittings. And I believe the clamp in the upper right, closest to the oil filter, was the culprit. I hope. We will see since I replaced the paper towels with dry ones.

ATF_Soaked_Paper_Towel.thumb.jpg.557d47b284ed64b9cdfcd3f8e84530d5.jpg

Then I checked on the engine oil leak. I think the drain plug was seeping, so I snugged it up. However, there is one track to the left that might have been part of the problem. We shall see.

Engine_Drain_Plug_Leak.thumb.jpg.1ee48b3f9277cce4ac2ba217c054ada9.jpg

Then I checked on the brake leak at the rear. Sure enough, it has still been leaking. But the paper towels told the tale - the problem is that fitting at the crossmember. So I TIGHTENED it. I've snugged it up twice before with no joy, but this time I went as tight as I dared. However, I doubt that will fix it.

Brake_Fluid_Leak.thumb.jpg.50fe9a5d5819f946dccd384781beef8f.jpg

About then Amazon delivered the charger for this Surface Pro tablet, so I tried it and it works. But UPS is still taking the brackets for the bed rails on a tour of Skiatook, while I watched courtesy of their "Follow My Delivery" feature, so I didn't get to install them.

Given that I didn't have much time left I loaded up the toolbox with most of the rest of the stuff that had been in it. And during that I realized it was time to replace the weatherstripping on the box since it was, literally, falling off. That took a lot of cleaning and scrubbing to get the remnants of the old stuff of, but I put some of the 1/2 x 1/4" closed-cell foam tape on and it seems to have sealed it up nicely.

Tomorrow we are running errands, but I plan to install the bed rail brackets on Thursday and get it ready to go to the Big Iron Overland Rally on Friday, where I hope to see Scott. They have some seminars that I'm looking forward to:

• MANAGING TRAUMA

• OFF-ROAD RECOVERY GEAR

• OVERLAND NAVIGATION GAIA 101

• OVERLAND RADIO COMMUNICATIONS

Well, the teething problems are certainly going to keep me from installing EFI any time soon. When I came out to the shop today I was greeted with this: :nabble_smiley_cry:

The closest puddle is ATF, and here's what I found when I started inspecting. I'd put the paper towels on some time ago to try to trace where the leak was coming from, but apparently the leak during yesterday's trip was too much for that one. I spent the next many minutes cleaning the underside of the truck where it had blown back or dripped down.

Then I spent the next hour or so tightening up clamps and fittings. And I believe the clamp in the upper right, closest to the oil filter, was the culprit. I hope. We will see since I replaced the paper towels with dry ones.

Then I checked on the engine oil leak. I think the drain plug was seeping, so I snugged it up. However, there is one track to the left that might have been part of the problem. We shall see.

Then I checked on the brake leak at the rear. Sure enough, it has still been leaking. But the paper towels told the tale - the problem is that fitting at the crossmember. So I TIGHTENED it. I've snugged it up twice before with no joy, but this time I went as tight as I dared. However, I doubt that will fix it.

About then Amazon delivered the charger for this Surface Pro tablet, so I tried it and it works. But UPS is still taking the brackets for the bed rails on a tour of Skiatook, while I watched courtesy of their "Follow My Delivery" feature, so I didn't get to install them.

Given that I didn't have much time left I loaded up the toolbox with most of the rest of the stuff that had been in it. And during that I realized it was time to replace the weatherstripping on the box since it was, literally, falling off. That took a lot of cleaning and scrubbing to get the remnants of the old stuff of, but I put some of the 1/2 x 1/4" closed-cell foam tape on and it seems to have sealed it up nicely.

Tomorrow we are running errands, but I plan to install the bed rail brackets on Thursday and get it ready to go to the Big Iron Overland Rally on Friday, where I hope to see Scott. They have some seminars that I'm looking forward to:

• MANAGING TRAUMA

• OFF-ROAD RECOVERY GEAR

• OVERLAND NAVIGATION GAIA 101

• OVERLAND RADIO COMMUNICATIONS

There's a reason I like constant tension spring clamps on low pressure lines and Ottiker clamps, (like I showed Jonathan) for high pressure.

I have no idea when I'll get to replacing my RMS and oil pan gasket.

I have to live with leaks to get anything else done.

The engine isn't coming out until I have a slab to work on....

Maybe if you called the truck "Puddles" it would stop leaking to spite you??? :nabble_smiley_evil:

There's a reason I like constant tension spring clamps on low pressure lines and Ottiker clamps, (like I showed Jonathan) for high pressure.

I have no idea when I'll get to replacing my RMS and oil pan gasket.

I have to live with leaks to get anything else done.

The engine isn't coming out until I have a slab to work on....

Maybe if you called the truck "Puddles" it would stop leaking to spite you??? :nabble_smiley_evil:

Yes, I probably would have been smart to buy a set of those clamps. Instead I have a wall rack of the worm gear clamps. But I can assure you all of those on the power steering system are tight now. :nabble_smiley_good:

But for a bit of good news, the addition of the fender-mounted relay has fixed the problem I was having with the starter. So I am working through the teething problems.

Yes, I probably would have been smart to buy a set of those clamps. Instead I have a wall rack of the worm gear clamps. But I can assure you all of those on the power steering system are tight now. :nabble_smiley_good:

But for a bit of good news, the addition of the fender-mounted relay has fixed the problem I was having with the starter. So I am working through the teething problems.

That is good news on the fmr but sorry to hear about the leaks. Hopefully it's as simple as snugging them up like you did.

Always something on these trucks to keep a person busy:nabble_smiley_beam:

That is good news on the fmr but sorry to hear about the leaks. Hopefully it's as simple as snugging them up like you did.

Always something on these trucks to keep a person busy:nabble_smiley_beam:

Thanks, Scott. Yes, there's always something to keep you busy. I guess we'll see on Friday of the tightening up fixes things.

I'm in Tulsa now running errands, but hope to be home just after lunch and plan to install the brackets for the bed rails then as they came in last night. Then I'll take it out and gas it up as well as adjust the idle mix rich to see if that helps with the lean spot off-idle.

And tomorrow I'm planning to get into a tight spot with a hot tool and see if I can put always-on power to the bed cover. If so, we'll be ready to head north on Friday. See you there!