Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Thanks, Jim. I was in a buy-local mood today so bought from the local Ace hardware store. And all they had was Milwaukee. Hopefully it is a good one. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But it sure worked well. it started holes easily and chewed right through the bed as if it was wood. And it left a nice hole. I was impressed.

I haven't tried their step bits (mine are HF) but I do really like their hex drive Shockwave Titanium drill bits.

Sorry, keep forgetting to mention it but ran back to the jy and pulled the other big truck dash bezel. Interestingly, it doesn't appear to have the same pointed steering column opening as others but I didn't do a direct comparison to our LD trucks.

They also aren't 'Check Engine' but rather just 'Engine'. Red backing. Not sure if that will work for you or not. Can take a photo if you'd like.

Thanks, Jim. I was in a buy-local mood today so bought from the local Ace hardware store. And all they had was Milwaukee. Hopefully it is a good one. :nabble_smiley_oh:

But it sure worked well. it started holes easily and chewed right through the bed as if it was wood. And it left a nice hole. I was impressed.

Yes step drills are nice for big holes in sheet metal because they are chip limiting and self piloting.

They don't grab on the way out, and they don't create a triangular hole.

If they leave a burr on the back side you can approach from the back and just kiss the surface with the next step to get rid of it.

I have a pretty full compliment of chassis punches, but don't dig them out for holes under 1 1/2" anymore.

I haven't tried their step bits (mine are HF) but I do really like their hex drive Shockwave Titanium drill bits.

Sorry, keep forgetting to mention it but ran back to the jy and pulled the other big truck dash bezel. Interestingly, it doesn't appear to have the same pointed steering column opening as others but I didn't do a direct comparison to our LD trucks.

They also aren't 'Check Engine' but rather just 'Engine'. Red backing. Not sure if that will work for you or not. Can take a photo if you'd like.

Scott - This step drill is a Shockwave Titanium with the 1/4" hex drive. I wondered if it was designed to use in an impact, but used it in the drill instead.

As for the bezel, thanks for getting it! I don't remember what the bezel I have in says in that position, but it might be Emissions. Engine would be better, so if I can't get the label maker approach to work I'll be very interested.

And speaking of that approach, it dawned on me later that the pic I showed earlier with the lettering washing out was with the white backing still on the label. So that surely diffused the light quite a bit, and without it the lettering might be crisp.

Jim - I have several chassis punches as well, but none as small as 1/2" and maybe not even 3/4, which is the top size on this step drill. But getting a chassis punch into a panel like a bed floor would not be fun, so the step drill was by far the best way to go.

Scott - This step drill is a Shockwave Titanium with the 1/4" hex drive. I wondered if it was designed to use in an impact, but used it in the drill instead.

As for the bezel, thanks for getting it! I don't remember what the bezel I have in says in that position, but it might be Emissions. Engine would be better, so if I can't get the label maker approach to work I'll be very interested.

And speaking of that approach, it dawned on me later that the pic I showed earlier with the lettering washing out was with the white backing still on the label. So that surely diffused the light quite a bit, and without it the lettering might be crisp.

Jim - I have several chassis punches as well, but none as small as 1/2" and maybe not even 3/4, which is the top size on this step drill. But getting a chassis punch into a panel like a bed floor would not be fun, so the step drill was by far the best way to go.

Got the toolbox essentially installed today, although not permanently as it has to come out in order to have the bed lined on Tuesday. But it wasn't as straightforward as it might sound. The issue was in how to determine where to drill the holes in the toolbox. Janey suggested that I use nail polish on the ends of the bolts as it doesn't dry very quickly. And it worked.

I brought the bolts up from the bottom and through the supports. Then I tapped the bolts down slightly into the supports and coated them heavily with nail polish. With the toolbox in place I tapped the bolts up from the bottom until I heard each one hit the toolbox. Sure enough, all the bolts left an imprint. :nabble_smiley_good:

With those holes drilled I pulled everything apart, installed Advantec in the floor of the toolbox, drilled those holes, and put it all together. However, I don't have the pieces of Advantec that go under the bed cut and drilled yet, so I could only cinch it down a bit for fear of bending the floor. Still, I got it in tightly enough that I could measure the clearance between the toolbox and the bedside and front panel. Most of the measurements come in at 5/16", and I'm sure it'll drop down a bit more when I get to torque the bolts down. If the clearance comes down to 1/4" and then the bed liner is added I'd be back up to 3/8", and I don't think using 3/8" weather stripping. So I'm still looking for 1" x 1/2" closed cell weather stripping.

Anyway, here's what it looks like:

Advantec_Floor_Of_Toolbox.thumb.jpg.04bbb1e9e6fe10f284f2fef3a5b7732c.jpgToolbox_Mounted_For_Testing.thumb.jpg.6d249ccde992cb980c415a080e3a611d.jpg

Got the toolbox essentially installed today, although not permanently as it has to come out in order to have the bed lined on Tuesday. But it wasn't as straightforward as it might sound. The issue was in how to determine where to drill the holes in the toolbox. Janey suggested that I use nail polish on the ends of the bolts as it doesn't dry very quickly. And it worked.

I brought the bolts up from the bottom and through the supports. Then I tapped the bolts down slightly into the supports and coated them heavily with nail polish. With the toolbox in place I tapped the bolts up from the bottom until I heard each one hit the toolbox. Sure enough, all the bolts left an imprint. :nabble_smiley_good:

With those holes drilled I pulled everything apart, installed Advantec in the floor of the toolbox, drilled those holes, and put it all together. However, I don't have the pieces of Advantec that go under the bed cut and drilled yet, so I could only cinch it down a bit for fear of bending the floor. Still, I got it in tightly enough that I could measure the clearance between the toolbox and the bedside and front panel. Most of the measurements come in at 5/16", and I'm sure it'll drop down a bit more when I get to torque the bolts down. If the clearance comes down to 1/4" and then the bed liner is added I'd be back up to 3/8", and I don't think using 3/8" weather stripping. So I'm still looking for 1" x 1/2" closed cell weather stripping.

Anyway, here's what it looks like:

Finally gave up and ordered this 1" x 3/4" closed-cell foam tape. Couldn't find the 1/2" that I think I need, but assume that this will work. We shall see.

Finally gave up and ordered this 1" x 3/4" closed-cell foam tape. Couldn't find the 1/2" that I think I need, but assume that this will work. We shall see.

When I walked into the shop this afternoon I was greeted with a little puddle under the front tire. Turns out the D60 is leaking a bit. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I'm not going to panic and pull it down now as this is the first time it has leaked, but I turned the axle a bit to see if maybe it stopped with a rough spot down.

D60_Right_Seal_Is_Leaking.thumb.jpg.1e9054dab221e90a41562529e03f7f54.jpg

Then I went to work pulling the toolbox out. With that done I drilled two holes for the drain hoses from the bed cover. Then I welded all six bed bolts to the bed. Finally I tightened down the left rear bolt, the one that had been loose. I think I got it tight, but it took everything I had. I couldn't get my impact on it so had to use a breakover with very limited movement range.

But the weld held. Tomorrow I'll do a bit of cleanup on the welds and then hit all the rust and bare metal with primer. Then I'll install the fender-mounted starter relay.

When I walked into the shop this afternoon I was greeted with a little puddle under the front tire. Turns out the D60 is leaking a bit. :nabble_smiley_sad:

I'm not going to panic and pull it down now as this is the first time it has leaked, but I turned the axle a bit to see if maybe it stopped with a rough spot down.

Then I went to work pulling the toolbox out. With that done I drilled two holes for the drain hoses from the bed cover. Then I welded all six bed bolts to the bed. Finally I tightened down the left rear bolt, the one that had been loose. I think I got it tight, but it took everything I had. I couldn't get my impact on it so had to use a breakover with very limited movement range.

But the weld held. Tomorrow I'll do a bit of cleanup on the welds and then hit all the rust and bare metal with primer. Then I'll install the fender-mounted starter relay.

And with that you're another step closer! 😉

Gary, I'm surprised you don't have right angle grease nipples on the D60.

Is there not enough room for the axle U-joint to turn?

And with that you're another step closer! 😉

Gary, I'm surprised you don't have right angle grease nipples on the D60.

Is there not enough room for the axle U-joint to turn?

Yes, another step closer. In fact, there's a chance I'll have the tool box in and the cover on by the end of the week. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for the grease fitting, I had a right angle one on there when I first put it together. But before even getting it on the ground I discovered the axle wouldn't turn.

What are your thoughts on the axle leak?

Yes, another step closer. In fact, there's a chance I'll have the tool box in and the cover on by the end of the week. :nabble_anim_jump:

As for the grease fitting, I had a right angle one on there when I first put it together. But before even getting it on the ground I discovered the axle wouldn't turn.

What are your thoughts on the axle leak?

Have you checked the axle vent?

I'm not really sure why else it would push hypoid out past fresh seals.