Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I'm on stock 235/85 R-16's .... 4.10's make for a strong truck with reasonable highway RPM's but they certainly aren't miserly.

For what it's worth, I'm also running 235/85-16 and 4.10s on my '97 F-250 with 460 and E4OD. I don't drive like Jim so I will have different ideals. But I'm pretty sure I would prefer 3.55s in my truck. No where near enough to justify regearing 2 axles. But I really don't think I need 4.10s and would really like a little better mileage.

100% agree Bob.

When I bought this truck I was dragging equipment to job sites, but wanted a manual over the C6 offered in '87.

And just like you, it's not worth it to me to regear.

I can buy a LOT if fuel for what that would cost. 😲

Gary, I know you're just "bench racing" and (hopefully) enjoying thinking through the "what ifs". But to (hopefully) help you feel better about the choices you've made...

If you wanted to make Big Blue into a serious 'wheeling rig you'd go with 40" tires, 5.38 gears and you'd change out the rear Dana 60 / TrueTrac for a 14 bolt with a locker. You'd also put a link suspension on both ends with coil-overs and would probably shorten the wheelbase a bit.

But your sheet metal would still be limiting, so you'd do one of three things: 1) put some SERIOUS body armor on it (sliders and bumpers that wrap around to protect the sides) AND expect to do a lot of body work. 2) dove-tail at least the bed and probably the front clip (and still go with serious body armor). 3) just trash the body over the course of a few 'wheeling trips.

But you don't want to do that. You want Big Blue to be a nice truck that you and Janey can get into and take a nice drive in the country, or a drive cross-country, and that you and your kids / grandkids can take camping and drive on some mountain trails that no one would drive their Mercedes SUV on.

Would 4.10s have been a better choice for that than 3.55s? Maybe. But 35s would be worse than 33s for the "you and Janey getting into" part (Lesley told me I couldn't put 35s on my Bronco, and it's been years since I felt like I could invite my dad to go for a ride in it). And you'll have fun with it the way it is. Remember, I've told you before that I have a friend who spent a fun week with his brother camping and "six-wheeling" on mountain roads in Colorado in a stock crew cab dually!

The more capable you build the truck the harder trails you need to find to have fun. I think Big Blue is going to be in a pretty sweet spot where you can have fun on a lot of trails that might get boring in a more heavily built rig, but you'll still be able to go 'most anywhere you want.

This is all stuff I need to keep reminding myself of too. Don't worry about keeping up with the Jones's. Even if they're your friends and traveling companions, you'll catch up with them in camp and can still enjoy each other's stores around the fire!

Yep, just "bench racing". I don't plan to change anything.

And no, I don't want to make Big Blue into a serious 'wheeling rig. I think the mod's that have been made will serve well, both on and off road. And while it won't be perfect for anything, it will be good for most things.

As for vehicles being boring on some trails, I think that's where the new Jeeps may be in some cases. The Rubicon we rented had all the bells and whistles and sure made things easy. Where's the fun in just renting something like that?

Having said that, we visited with our traveling companions in Nashville while on the trip and they brought up the idea of going to Alaska and up to Prudhoe Bay. And we all agreed flying in and renting something would sure make the trip shorter. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yep, just "bench racing". I don't plan to change anything.

And no, I don't want to make Big Blue into a serious 'wheeling rig. I think the mod's that have been made will serve well, both on and off road. And while it won't be perfect for anything, it will be good for most things.

As for vehicles being boring on some trails, I think that's where the new Jeeps may be in some cases. The Rubicon we rented had all the bells and whistles and sure made things easy. Where's the fun in just renting something like that?

Having said that, we visited with our traveling companions in Nashville while on the trip and they brought up the idea of going to Alaska and up to Prudhoe Bay. And we all agreed flying in and renting something would sure make the trip shorter. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As I said previously, I've been cleaning the shop and not working on the truck. However, at the end of the day today I found my G/Flex epoxy and couldn't resist doing one little project.

The trim piece on the driver's side of the seat is supposed to be secured at the top with a screw and at the bottom with a spring clip that is adhered to the plastic trim piece. But Big Blue's was retained by a piece of elastic since I got it as the spring clip was no longer on the trim piece. So recently I tried to stick it back on with JB Weld, but that didn't stick to the plastic.

But today I mixed up some G/Flex and put it on. We'll see how well it adheres, but I took pains to prep the plastic and the clip so I have high hopes that it'll work this time.

And, by the way, this and the Code Alarm documentation is the only thing on the 4' x 10' work table. :nabble_smiley_wink:

IMG_3116.thumb.jpg.c45024f2a9ce5973d26db47a1f314568.jpg

As I said previously, I've been cleaning the shop and not working on the truck. However, at the end of the day today I found my G/Flex epoxy and couldn't resist doing one little project.

The trim piece on the driver's side of the seat is supposed to be secured at the top with a screw and at the bottom with a spring clip that is adhered to the plastic trim piece. But Big Blue's was retained by a piece of elastic since I got it as the spring clip was no longer on the trim piece. So recently I tried to stick it back on with JB Weld, but that didn't stick to the plastic.

But today I mixed up some G/Flex and put it on. We'll see how well it adheres, but I took pains to prep the plastic and the clip so I have high hopes that it'll work this time.

And, by the way, this and the Code Alarm documentation is the only thing on the 4' x 10' work table. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Well, a few things to report. First, the G/Flex appears to have worked and I put the seat trim back on.

Second, I went with Hagerty for the insurance, as posted in the Insurance? thread.

Third, I got the Pace Edwards Bed Locker cover in today. This thing is a beast. The UPS man said it weighs 120 lbs, and that was just the mechanism and cover. Then there were the rails in a different box.

And I've changed my priorities slightly. I'm now going to focus on getting the cover on since that will let us put our suitcases in the bed, close the cover, and feel like they won't be easily stolen. In other words, we can take the trip around the GOAT.

Then I can turn to the security system as well as interfacing the security system to the cover.

Pace_Edwards_Bed_Locker__Rails.thumb.jpg.39ab40eb55a86ed40d0bcf774d80c4f7.jpg

Well, a few things to report. First, the G/Flex appears to have worked and I put the seat trim back on.

Second, I went with Hagerty for the insurance, as posted in the Insurance? thread.

Third, I got the Pace Edwards Bed Locker cover in today. This thing is a beast. The UPS man said it weighs 120 lbs, and that was just the mechanism and cover. Then there were the rails in a different box.

And I've changed my priorities slightly. I'm now going to focus on getting the cover on since that will let us put our suitcases in the bed, close the cover, and feel like they won't be easily stolen. In other words, we can take the trip around the GOAT.

Then I can turn to the security system as well as interfacing the security system to the cover.

Wow! Maybe you could carry Dad’s Truck up on that cover!

That is hefty. Did it come with key fobs or are those the ones from the security system?

That is hefty. Did it come with key fobs or are those the ones from the security system?

It came with those two key fobs. And that brings up another reason I'm doing the cover before I finish the security system - the interface between the two. I hope that the connections to the cover for a remote switch are actually triggering a pair of relays, and if that's the case the 300ma outputs of the security system should be fine. But if those connections are actually grounding the motor then I'll have to add relays between the two. So I need to test the remote connection for current draw, and that is best done when it is installed. That way I'll know as I finish the security system install if I need relays or not.

As for the heft, there appears to be no support for the unit save for the rails that sit on top of the bed sides. There is no mention in the instructions of bolting the unit itself to the bed, so the only support has to be from the tracks. But I'm going to call tech support to confirm that.

Also, the top cover plate for the unit has a ~1 3/4" lip that is designed to lay on top of the front header panel of the bed, and it has a piece of weather stripping under it to seal the bed from the elements. But in my application the front side of the unit is to be sealed to the tool box with weather stripping, so I'll have to mill that lip off the cover.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n94676/IMG_3116.jpg

I thought of this thread when I saw these [just in case someone else has damaged ones or have lost them]...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174730953269?hash=item28aec6c235:g:RxwAAOSwWDtgaJLN

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n94676/IMG_3116.jpg

I thought of this thread when I saw these [just in case someone else has damaged ones or have lost them]...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174730953269?hash=item28aec6c235:g:RxwAAOSwWDtgaJLN

Those are nice, David. And I thought they were cheap until I realized that's just where the bid is at present. :nabble_smiley_oh:

As for what I did today, after we ran errands in Tulsa, this happened. And what you might not be able to see is that there are 5th-wheel hitch brackets laying to the side. And moments later the tailgate cover and the camper tie downs came off.

Tool_Box__Bed_Liner_Out.thumb.jpg.0c19a6ad5b036dfdda2ff22e1b49e053.jpg

Then I swept and vacuumed the bed and here's what it looks like. It is in far better shape than I was expecting, and all I need to do is clean it and maybe hit the spots with surface rust with a treatment.

Vacuumed_Bed_-_Inside_Shot.thumb.jpg.f8eb8fbb3ac43e9a47e895fb2943b5f6.jpg

But, there are ten holes that were for the 5th-wheel bracket and I need to fill them. I'm considering placing eyebolts in a couple of them so I can use ratchet straps on the spare tire, but I guess I'll put carriage bolts in the others. Thoughts?