Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

Got the electric OX locker actuator installed today. First, here's the bracket I made to move the actuator out 3" from the inside of the frame. The right side of it goes up against the inside of the frame and the bolts secure it. And the actuator goes through the round hole on the angle bracket, which came from OX:

That gave the cable a straight enough shot forward to miss the frame, although it is hard to tell that in the pic below. However, it does rest against the bottom of the shock, and there just isn't much way around that. But I did split a rubber hose and slip it over the cable to protect it.

And, it works. When you flip the switch in Mission Control you can hear the actuator work and then after a couple of seconds the indicator lights on the switch to say it is locked in. Sure enough, with the hubs locked in both wheels spin together. Then flip the switch and it whirs a bit, the indicator goes out, and the tires spin independently. (The truck was on the lift.)

Here are shots to show how it routes from both directions, but even then it is hard to tell what you are looking at.

Janey and I are taking the truck on an outing tomorrow, so I took it for a spin around the neighborhood to make sure it is ready. Then I left it in the driveway until dark and checked out the lighting.

The way I have the fog lights adjusted they are at the same level as the low beams, and even though they are pointed straight ahead they go way out into the ditches. I really like them!

As for the backup lights, it is like night and day. Literally! Here's a shot from the bed of the truck, hence the dark spot. I initially started with the lights splayed out at ~25 degrees, but that was too much. This is probably with them out at 10 - 15 degrees, and it works very, very well.

I should have closed the gate before taking the pic, but the gate is also evenly lit. And from the driver's seat there is light everywhere in the rear view mirrors. Not just from the mirror on the windshield, but the ones on the doors. I CAN SEE!

:nabble_anim_jump:

Backup_Light_Results.thumb.jpg.e34865e7cb5d03f8e73839d383df6534.jpg

Janey and I are taking the truck on an outing tomorrow, so I took it for a spin around the neighborhood to make sure it is ready. Then I left it in the driveway until dark and checked out the lighting.

The way I have the fog lights adjusted they are at the same level as the low beams, and even though they are pointed straight ahead they go way out into the ditches. I really like them!

As for the backup lights, it is like night and day. Literally! Here's a shot from the bed of the truck, hence the dark spot. I initially started with the lights splayed out at ~25 degrees, but that was too much. This is probably with them out at 10 - 15 degrees, and it works very, very well.

I should have closed the gate before taking the pic, but the gate is also evenly lit. And from the driver's seat there is light everywhere in the rear view mirrors. Not just from the mirror on the windshield, but the ones on the doors. I CAN SEE!

Looks good!

Looks good!

Thanks, Dane! :nabble_smiley_happy:

I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel, and I don't think it is my backup or fog lights. For my own benefit I'm going to list what I have to do to get the truck "done" for the trips this spring/summer:

• Backup Lights: Replace the broken connector that goes to the transmission's switch with the new one that comes in today.

• Radio: Put the rear support in place to catch the rubber stud on the back of the radio

• Mission Control: Replace the Front Locker switch with the new one so unlocked is in the "down" rather than "up" position. Then tame the indicator lights on the switches, hopefully with the LightDims.

• Air Compressor: Install the tank under the fender and the compressor in the tool box, plumb them together, and run the power cord to the relay box in the cab.

• A/C: Take the truck up to my nephew and let him replace the o-rings, pull a vacuum, and charge it up.

• Odds & Ends: Then there are several "little" things I want to do. For instance, the Explorer emblem is about to fall off the right side, and I need to pull it off and put it back with serious double-sided tape. And I want to compound the paint again and wax it. And, and, and...

But, as said, I am seeing light at the end of the tunnel!

Looks real good! The fence looks like the one I had in Newport News except mine had fancy tops for the panels. Maybe I should get two of those for Darth.

Looks real good! The fence looks like the one I had in Newport News except mine had fancy tops for the panels. Maybe I should get two of those for Darth.

Thanks, Bill. At that price you can't go wrong. They really do a good job and pull so little current you could do like Jim suggested and wire them into the existing backup light circuit if you don't want to be able to bring them on at any time.

Gary, those back up lights are impressive! Frankly, they put out more light than my headlights did before I did the headlight mod....LOL!

I'm thinking they'ed be great for tailgaters too!

Gary, those back up lights are impressive! Frankly, they put out more light than my headlights did before I did the headlight mod....LOL!

I'm thinking they'ed be great for tailgaters too!

Yes, if those lit up ahead of me at night I'd certainly back off. But, that's not my intent with them. They'll normally be used in tandem with the wimpy stock backup lights, all of which should start working tomorrow as the new connector came in today.

And, speaking of today, we drove Big Blue ~110 miles, about 1/2 of which were on country roads. Which made it quite special when John Denver sang Take Me Home, Country Roads. The truck performed almost perfectly, with the "almost" being due to his proclivity to continue running when I turn the key off when using 87 octane gas.

Filled up with '87 'cause that's all the station had. And sure enough, BB didn't want to die the next time we stopped. Part of the problem is that he has an inconsistent idle. 90% of the time he idles at ~800 RPM, but the rest of the time he idles at ~600 R's, which is where I want him to idle. I'd turn the idle stop screw down so that he normally idles at 600, but then there'd be times he go to 400. At 600 he'll shut off pretty nicely, but not so at 800. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Also, another project is now on the to-do list. A security system with door locks. I usually remind Janey as we get out to lock the door, but we were sitting at lunch with the truck across the street and it dawned on me that I don't know if I reminded her and she didn't know if she'd done it. So as we talked about it we agreed that a security system is something we want on the truck before we start taking overnight trips in it and leaving it outside a hotel.

My plan is to put it where the center speaker would have been under the dash cover, and poke the blinking LED through one of the speaker holes. I think I have the wiring for the locks, and probably the lock motors as well, but I may simplify the wiring as I don't see a need for installing the switches - assuming that you can still lock or unlock the doors with the pin from inside the truck when you have electric locks. Right? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good, but inexpensive security system? One that has an ignition kill function? (Yes, Scott, you know where I'm going. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

As for where we went and what we saw, we went the back way to Pawhuska, the town where Ree Drummond's Mercantile is. We've been there several times, but didn't go in this time. Instead, we found the Swinging Bridge that is fairly well hidden, but is only 4 blocks south of the Merc. Here 'tis:

Swinging_Bridge__Big_Blue.thumb.jpg.bc7cb2b4cf975225078dc5bd01a8a8bd.jpg

.... And, speaking of today, we drove Big Blue ~110 miles, about 1/2 of which were on country roads....

Must feel great to be driving it again!

.... assuming that you can still lock or unlock the doors with the pin from inside the truck when you have electric locks. Right? ....

Yep.

Yes, if those lit up ahead of me at night I'd certainly back off. But, that's not my intent with them. They'll normally be used in tandem with the wimpy stock backup lights, all of which should start working tomorrow as the new connector came in today.

And, speaking of today, we drove Big Blue ~110 miles, about 1/2 of which were on country roads. Which made it quite special when John Denver sang Take Me Home, Country Roads. The truck performed almost perfectly, with the "almost" being due to his proclivity to continue running when I turn the key off when using 87 octane gas.

Filled up with '87 'cause that's all the station had. And sure enough, BB didn't want to die the next time we stopped. Part of the problem is that he has an inconsistent idle. 90% of the time he idles at ~800 RPM, but the rest of the time he idles at ~600 R's, which is where I want him to idle. I'd turn the idle stop screw down so that he normally idles at 600, but then there'd be times he go to 400. At 600 he'll shut off pretty nicely, but not so at 800. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Also, another project is now on the to-do list. A security system with door locks. I usually remind Janey as we get out to lock the door, but we were sitting at lunch with the truck across the street and it dawned on me that I don't know if I reminded her and she didn't know if she'd done it. So as we talked about it we agreed that a security system is something we want on the truck before we start taking overnight trips in it and leaving it outside a hotel.

My plan is to put it where the center speaker would have been under the dash cover, and poke the blinking LED through one of the speaker holes. I think I have the wiring for the locks, and probably the lock motors as well, but I may simplify the wiring as I don't see a need for installing the switches - assuming that you can still lock or unlock the doors with the pin from inside the truck when you have electric locks. Right? Does anyone have a recommendation on a good, but inexpensive security system? One that has an ignition kill function? (Yes, Scott, you know where I'm going. :nabble_smiley_wink:)

As for where we went and what we saw, we went the back way to Pawhuska, the town where Ree Drummond's Mercantile is. We've been there several times, but didn't go in this time. Instead, we found the Swinging Bridge that is fairly well hidden, but is only 4 blocks south of the Merc. Here 'tis:

Those lights are very impressive. Well done. I need to go back and read some updates I've missed.

I like where you are going with the keyless entry/security :nabble_anim_claps:

I like the Viper 211HV. Simple remote but decent features. Despite what the manual says though, I haven't been able to make it set off the horn or lights if someone tries to start it while armed so not a good choice if wanting that feature.

Looks like it was a great outing!

Surprising your truck wants to run on, given it doesn't have a lot of carbon build up and should be in good tune.

Perhaps you need colder plugs, because nothing in the chamber should be hot enough to auto ignite gasoline.... even 87.

What you've said about compression being under 10:1 doesn't make me think that should be an issue.

I'd definitely be looking into why the idle varies that much.

Is the throttle shaft worn, or is there some other reason for the plate to hang up?