Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

John - Thanks, both for the compliment on the truck as well as the link to the cell phone holder. Do you have one like that? Do you think it would clip to the lip of our dash cover?

As for what I did this afternoon, I ordered the Yitamotor LED lights, and they should be in on Sunday. Given that, I needed something to hook them to, so I installed the fog and backup light relays, as shown below. (For those not familiar with this truck, you are looking at the area ahead of the firewall on the driver's side, with the hood hinge showing in the bottom right of the pic.)They work perfectly and now the fog lights can come on with the marker lights or any time I want.

And that blue wire in the pic, which is the one to go back to the backup lights themselves, is hot when I put the Backup Light switch into the On position. I haven't yet wired into the backup light circuit so that lead will be hot when in Reverse, but I hope to do that tomorrow as well as extend the blue wire all of the way to the back.

Fog__Backup_Light_Relays_Installed.thumb.jpg.5d1e780fcb839e91e2af14f24102109b.jpg

Scott - I'm thinking about pulling the ball and placing the 7-way in the center. That way I can place the lights where I want them and angle them out if I want to.

Jim - I agree about being back in, both for protection when backing up as well as keeping the light out of people's eyes. I'm thinking they'll be used in camp as well as backing up, and it would be nice to have them back far enough to use the bumper as a shield to cut off the beam's upward angle.

Cory - Thanks! I never would have noticed if you hadn't said.

Bob - None of the lights I'm looking at are over $20/ea, and some are less than $10, although I'd spend a bit more if I found exactly what I want. But I don't think I mind LEDs in the rear. Don't know why, but they would be functional.

Chris - If you'd start a thread we could put lots of thoughts and ideas in it and they wouldn't get lost in this <5000 post thread.

All - I'm looking for feedback, please. One light I'm looking at is this: YITAMOTOR LED Light Bar 2PCS 18W 6 Inch Flood LED Work Light. As it says, it is a flood light, not spot, which is what I want. And given the height of ~2 1/2" they should tuck back in nicely to either side. And the stud mount would let me angle them if I want.

I'll use something to mock it up tomorrow and see how they'll fit. Thoughts?

Gary, I can't really see your mockup on my phone.

I will say, at 18W there's no reason for a relay.

I have two 27W lamps wired right into my rear harness, and it's been years.

I'm not sure if your Bullnose trucks have the same aux connector as part of the harness that crosses the back bumper, but all I had to do was make my wires terminate in a bullet connector.

The socket is right there as the harness comes off the frame rail and turns.

This has only once been a problem.

I cleaned out the oxidation and squirted the fitting full of silicone grease before I put the cleaned bullet back in.

Gary, I can't really see your mockup on my phone.

I will say, at 18W there's no reason for a relay.

I have two 27W lamps wired right into my rear harness, and it's been years.

I'm not sure if your Bullnose trucks have the same aux connector as part of the harness that crosses the back bumper, but all I had to do was make my wires terminate in a bullet connector.

The socket is right there as the harness comes off the frame rail and turns.

This has only once been a problem.

I cleaned out the oxidation and squirted the fitting full of silicone grease before I put the cleaned bullet back in.

Jim - I'm also using this circuit to provide power to the trailer backup lights and won't know what lights are on the trailer, or even what trailer is connected, beforehand. In addition, I used rather small wire in Mission Control because it was getting crowded, and I'm sure glad I did as I had to bend the wires a bit just to get it to go in.

So while these lights would surely work w/o a relay, I decided I might as well add one while I was adding the fog light relay. Had the relays and there were two screw holes for mounting, so it didn't take much to do it.

But thanks.

John - Thanks, both for the compliment on the truck as well as the link to the cell phone holder. Do you have one like that? Do you think it would clip to the lip of our dash cover?

I don't have one Gary, that is why I said proposed. I may do some more review work on this type of item and acquire one in my next Amazon purchase. All my cars have phone holders in them except my truck and I have long meant to acquire one for it. But yes, sure looks like it would clip to the dash.

I don't have one Gary, that is why I said proposed. I may do some more review work on this type of item and acquire one in my next Amazon purchase. All my cars have phone holders in them except my truck and I have long meant to acquire one for it. But yes, sure looks like it would clip to the dash.

I'll be anxious to see what you find out, John. However, most of my trips are with a copilot, so having her/him handle the directions has worked out pretty well and I might not need a holder.

On the other hand, I downloaded a Google Maps app into the Sony Music Center app, which connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and it appears to do something with respect to directions through the radio. I don't understand that 'cause the phone already read the next turn info via the audio, so I need to figure out what it does.

Oh, speaking of Amazon orders, I ordered those backup lights at 3:39 PM yesterday. They are "Out For Delivery" and are due here between 7:00 and 9:45 AM. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I'll be anxious to see what you find out, John. However, most of my trips are with a copilot, so having her/him handle the directions has worked out pretty well and I might not need a holder.

On the other hand, I downloaded a Google Maps app into the Sony Music Center app, which connects to the phone via Bluetooth, and it appears to do something with respect to directions through the radio. I don't understand that 'cause the phone already read the next turn info via the audio, so I need to figure out what it does.

Oh, speaking of Amazon orders, I ordered those backup lights at 3:39 PM yesterday. They are "Out For Delivery" and are due here between 7:00 and 9:45 AM. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Well, the lights came in at 9:00 AM, less than 18 hours after ordering. Not only am I impressed with the delivery, I'm impressed with the lights. They appear to be very well constructed and came with stainless SAE fasteners.

Speaking of those fasteners, one review said assembling the brackets to the lights is a "2-beer" job. Pretty sure that guy didn't understand the cunning plan. In the pic below you can see how it all goes together on the top light with the socket head cap screws going through the bracket and into the light and the nut there. And it is those nuts that were probably the issue for that guy as there is no way to get a tool in there to hold them. But on the lower light you can see the nut on the left is in a little recess with a divider behind it. Just drop the nut in there and insert the SHCS and it lines up nicely. :nabble_anim_claps:

Assembling_The_Backup_Light_Brackets.thumb.jpg.2ed3917c88a124a3516b3455fdb65b58.jpg

So, what did I do with the rest of my morning? I removed the ball, moved the trailer connector, and mounted the lights, with the inside of all of the new holes getting two coats of paint. Now if I can just get them wired up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Backup_Lights_Mounted.thumb.jpg.0a7fd382c38ccae1d221e4a077fe137c.jpg

Well, the lights came in at 9:00 AM, less than 18 hours after ordering. Not only am I impressed with the delivery, I'm impressed with the lights. They appear to be very well constructed and came with stainless SAE fasteners.

Speaking of those fasteners, one review said assembling the brackets to the lights is a "2-beer" job. Pretty sure that guy didn't understand the cunning plan. In the pic below you can see how it all goes together on the top light with the socket head cap screws going through the bracket and into the light and the nut there. And it is those nuts that were probably the issue for that guy as there is no way to get a tool in there to hold them. But on the lower light you can see the nut on the left is in a little recess with a divider behind it. Just drop the nut in there and insert the SHCS and it lines up nicely. :nabble_anim_claps:

So, what did I do with the rest of my morning? I removed the ball, moved the trailer connector, and mounted the lights, with the inside of all of the new holes getting two coats of paint. Now if I can just get them wired up. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Nice! Looks good without the ball on there.

Is the 7 way connector going to be in the way when putting the hitch pin in?

I have a note to move mine on my Bronco because of that.

Good! Mine actually gets in the way when I’m trying to put the spring clip in also.

Well, to tell the truth I didn't think of that until you asked. And while I haven't tried to put the pin in, I think it'll be ok. I hope.

As for what I got done this afternoon, the wiring in the back of the truck is all done. I have the positive wire of the two lights and the trailer connector's backup circuit tied to a #12 that is loosely draped along the frame to the front. And the grounds are also tied into the ground going to the trailer from the frame.

So the next thing is to run the trigger wire down to the backup light circuit after the transmission's switch and tie in there. And then run the #12 along that wire up into the engine compartment and tie into the relay. Cover both of them with convolute, secure them, and test.

But, I did put the front end of that wire on the battery just for grins and the lights came on, brightly. The shop's door is only ~3' away from them and they put a couple of ovals on it. So I opened the door and looked at them from outside, and discovered they aren't fun to look at. I think they are going to be pretty effective. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Speaking of that, I was curious how their rating compares to that of the 1156 bulbs our trucks use for backup lights. These lights are rated at 1800 lumens/ea while the bulbs are rated at 30 candlepower. But a bit of looking found that 12.57 lumens equal 1 candlepower, so that means the 1156 bulbs would have 402 lumens. In other words, these put out 4 1/2 times more light. However, I can't help but think they'll get a lot more of their light where I want it than the stock backup lights which try to send it all through a window the size of a postage stamp.