Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

I don't have a place to put a phone holder on the dash. So far we've just laid the phone in the little drink holder thing that sits on the seat, but we are considering one of the arm rest/drink holder combos so dunno how that would work.

Scott - Not sure those lights would go on the back of BB. Wouldn't want them to hang down, but the shot below from this brand light, that clamps on the same way, shows the lights side-by-side and that might work nicely. But, how did they do that?

Mine don't hang down, they're out each side.

IMG_20210225_194041.jpg.7fc62c9d17ece354895847d98cac34bd.jpg

I have an iOttie wireless charger, so it only makes sense to have my phone where I can see it.

I took a piece of .100 polycarbonate and heat formed a bracket that slips between the front dash cushion and the top shell.

It is pinched in place and doesn't budge.

I was using the iOttie suction cup (which holds tenaciously) but I had the arm cantilevered so far forward to reach it that bounce at certain road speeds made it a blur.

Maybe you could adapt something like that to fit where you have the binder clip?

Mine don't hang down, they're out each side.

I have an iOttie wireless charger, so it only makes sense to have my phone where I can see it.

I took a piece of .100 polycarbonate and heat formed a bracket that slips between the front dash cushion and the top shell.

It is pinched in place and doesn't budge.

I was using the iOttie suction cup (which holds tenaciously) but I had the arm cantilevered so far forward to reach it that bounce at certain road speeds made it a blur.

Maybe you could adapt something like that to fit where you have the binder clip?

That would work, Jim. But I think I like mounting them to the flat part of the step, as shown below. A 4" high light will be protected by the cross bar, and even taller lights would be protected to some extent by the hitch itself.

So, just have to pick some reasonably inexpensive lights to go there. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Rear_Bumper__Backup_Light_Placement.thumb.jpg.9dd2b48aa8a180420c4bd39aef2c6ec7.jpg

That would work, Jim. But I think I like mounting them to the flat part of the step, as shown below. A 4" high light will be protected by the cross bar, and even taller lights would be protected to some extent by the hitch itself.

So, just have to pick some reasonably inexpensive lights to go there. :nabble_smiley_wink:

There are already some holes in the flat plate but they are further out (what I using). Would be slightly less protected and may interfere with the current location if the 7way.

I wanted mine farther underneath.

As much so they couldn't cause any upward glare as for better protection from departure angle and backing into things like brush piles and snow banks.

I wanted mine farther underneath.

As much so they couldn't cause any upward glare as for better protection from departure angle and backing into things like brush piles and snow banks.

This is the 5000th reply in this thread. That's all...lol.

Congrats Gary!

....Remind me what you guys have used for aux backup lights?....

I can't find any pictures of my trucks rear lights, but I use the cheap rubber- or plastic-housing utility lamps that they sell at the fleet and farm stores. They come in either a flood pattern (that I prefer but can't always find) and a trapezoidal pattern (that I usually find) that NEEDS to be mounted with the mounting bolt pointing either up or down (pointing sideways makes it pretty useless). I have them mounted on the side plates of my receiver hitch on the truck, and on brackets attached to the front (inside) of my rear bumper on the Bronco. They're tucked up high enough that they don't get bashed too much. I have broken one on the Bronco in the rocks, and one on the pickup backing up against a snow pile at the edge of a parking lot. But did I say that they're cheap? It doesn't bother me much when I do break one (and I haven't broke many). One thing I like about them is that they don't look like LED lights. But that's just my old-school preference.

Chris - Please start that thread!

OK, I'll post if/when Crutchfield responds to my email inquiry in which I asked 'what is that thing from CarToys and where can I get one for a Ford.' :) I'm really jonesing on those electronic mirrors all over the place, and I want whatever I get to match up with the brushed aluminum stuff that Kyle sent me years ago. Yes, I save everything. :)

Well, they (Crutchfield) hasn't replied to my e-mail, at least not yet. Not that I can afford ANY of these things at the moment but that's OK, it's fun to dream + read all you guys' input. :)

Well, they (Crutchfield) hasn't replied to my e-mail, at least not yet. Not that I can afford ANY of these things at the moment but that's OK, it's fun to dream + read all you guys' input. :)

Scott - I'm thinking about pulling the ball and placing the 7-way in the center. That way I can place the lights where I want them and angle them out if I want to.

Jim - I agree about being back in, both for protection when backing up as well as keeping the light out of people's eyes. I'm thinking they'll be used in camp as well as backing up, and it would be nice to have them back far enough to use the bumper as a shield to cut off the beam's upward angle.

Cory - Thanks! I never would have noticed if you hadn't said.

Bob - None of the lights I'm looking at are over $20/ea, and some are less than $10, although I'd spend a bit more if I found exactly what I want. But I don't think I mind LEDs in the rear. Don't know why, but they would be functional.

Chris - If you'd start a thread we could put lots of thoughts and ideas in it and they wouldn't get lost in this YITAMOTOR LED Light Bar 2PCS 18W 6 Inch Flood LED Work Light. As it says, it is a flood light, not spot, which is what I want. And given the height of ~2 1/2" they should tuck back in nicely to either side. And the stud mount would let me angle them if I want.

I'll use something to mock it up tomorrow and see how they'll fit. Thoughts?

71O-bN3KxeL.thumb.jpg.66878ea74273e6f80b57ce07636646f6.jpg

Scott - I'm thinking about pulling the ball and placing the 7-way in the center. That way I can place the lights where I want them and angle them out if I want to.

Jim - I agree about being back in, both for protection when backing up as well as keeping the light out of people's eyes. I'm thinking they'll be used in camp as well as backing up, and it would be nice to have them back far enough to use the bumper as a shield to cut off the beam's upward angle.

Cory - Thanks! I never would have noticed if you hadn't said.

Bob - None of the lights I'm looking at are over $20/ea, and some are less than $10, although I'd spend a bit more if I found exactly what I want. But I don't think I mind LEDs in the rear. Don't know why, but they would be functional.

Chris - If you'd start a thread we could put lots of thoughts and ideas in it and they wouldn't get lost in this YITAMOTOR LED Light Bar 2PCS 18W 6 Inch Flood LED Work Light. As it says, it is a flood light, not spot, which is what I want. And given the height of ~2 1/2" they should tuck back in nicely to either side. And the stud mount would let me angle them if I want.

I'll use something to mock it up tomorrow and see how they'll fit. Thoughts?

Well, no comments yet. But y'all are probably waiting for this. Here's a BAD (:nabble_smiley_evil:) rendering of one of those lights in two different positions.

First is with it secured to the step plate of the bumper, and that puts it 3" forward of the rear edge of the plate and 3" back of the crossbar on the hitch.

The second pair is with the light against the crossbar of the hitch, meaning that it is 6" forward of the back edge of the step plate.

I think I like the lights and am about to order, although you might be able to talk me out of it. But I'm also interested in your thoughts on placement.

I think I like having it close to the crossbar, but far enough off that the light can be rotated outward slightly if I want to get farther to the side. That gives the maximum shielding of the light by the step plate, and protects the light as much as possible.

Backup_Light_On_Plate_-_In_Air.thumb.jpg.4bce42740b8108ba9a61b87078931b68.jpgBackup_Light_On_Plate_-_On_The_Ground.thumb.jpg.8f2c1f8ad332bda0844eaae4212e31fd.jpg

Backup_Light_On_Crossbar_-_In_Air.thumb.jpg.b4d2c9cbfdb6c7cf2c072de27bb49874.jpgBackup_Light_On_Crossbar_-_On_The_Ground.thumb.jpg.0fd38f6f3004a949b71fd66191b384ba.jpg

I don't have a place to put a phone holder on the dash. So far we've just laid the phone in the little drink holder thing that sits on the seat, but we are considering one of the arm rest/drink holder combos so dunno how that would work.

Proposed phone holder: https://www.amazon.com/Huhoo-Dashboard-Rotation-Adjustable-Smartphones/dp/B08GWQQDRN/ref=asc_df_B08GWQQDRN/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932710343469&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=1285329449391383&hvadid=80333178208075&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4583932710343469&hydadcr=

Truck is looking good, Gary!