Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Transformation

How much weight do you have on that RR wheel? Ouch. Is that because of the tires, or the wheels, or both in your opinion?

Shaun - The correct answer is "lots". And I would guess it is the tire more than the wheel. Those tires are HEAVY! when my brother and I were loading up he came rolling the spare out. As I reached down to pick it up and put it on the trailer he said "Huh uh!" I tried anyway. Twice. Then I looked at him, he grinned, and we picked it up and put it on the trailer. Man, that thing is heavy.

And all of the tires have quite a bit of weight on them. But, there seems to be no vibration, so I think the tires are balanced well.

Chris - I think I like that mirror/camera combo. However, the one to which you linked, the FVMR-1000 has been discontinued. Go to BrandMotion's page for it and you'll see their statement about that. The replacement is the FMVR-1100.

From what I've read and watched you do have the ability to have a regular mirror. But they seem to think you won't use it due to the wider vision of the camera. Also, on a pickup they mounted it on the back of the cab so you can see what's in the bed. But I would have thought that placing it on the bumper would be better so you can see what might be hidden by the tailgate. And, it would let you line up a trailer hitch easily.

Go for it, and let me know what you think!

Shaun - The correct answer is "lots". And I would guess it is the tire more than the wheel. Those tires are HEAVY! when my brother and I were loading up he came rolling the spare out. As I reached down to pick it up and put it on the trailer he said "Huh uh!" I tried anyway. Twice. Then I looked at him, he grinned, and we picked it up and put it on the trailer. Man, that thing is heavy.

And all of the tires have quite a bit of weight on them. But, there seems to be no vibration, so I think the tires are balanced well.

Chris - I think I like that mirror/camera combo. However, the one to which you linked, the FVMR-1000 has been discontinued. Go to BrandMotion's page for it and you'll see their statement about that. The replacement is the FMVR-1100.

From what I've read and watched you do have the ability to have a regular mirror. But they seem to think you won't use it due to the wider vision of the camera. Also, on a pickup they mounted it on the back of the cab so you can see what's in the bed. But I would have thought that placing it on the bumper would be better so you can see what might be hidden by the tailgate. And, it would let you line up a trailer hitch easily.

Go for it, and let me know what you think!

We had a successful trip to town today to run errands. Took Big Blue and have several observations.

The first thing I noticed was that the engine feels like it is much bigger. Acceleration is much quicker and easier due to the move of the throttle stud on the carb's linkage.

However, that also seems to have had the effect of making the speed control a bit more sensitive, which makes sense. So I'm going to explore moving the speed control's linkage to a different spot on the carb. Since I have several throttle cables I might remove the end from one and put it on another stud and attach the speed control to that and have the best of both worlds.

And, the radio is a hit! Janey likes it and we both think it sounds much, much better than the old one. Plus not having to connect a phone to it electrically each time you get in is a big plus. In fact, I got a call just after getting in and I didn't have to scramble and connect the phone in order to answer. Just pushed the Call button and we were talking.

And another observation - the bottom indicator on the Battery Parallel switch isn't easily visible in the daytime. It is probably just right at night, but not so in bright light. I briefly thought about changing the wiring so the top LEDs are the indicators of when the switch/function is on as those are brighter, but they are the ones with the graphic to tell which switch is which, and that's what I want to be able to see at night - without being blinded. Speaking of which, the LightDims still haven't come in the mail, and they are two days late and counting.

But, speaking of the mail, the new switch for the front locker did come today, so I can pull Mission Control apart and change out the switch. Which also means it is time to address the brightness of the switch indicators, assuming the LightDims do finally come in.

And, last but certainly not least, I got a surprise from David/1986F150Six in the mail. The nice note with it said in part "I cringe each time I see Big Blue's dash with the vacuum gauge. This will look better." And boy, is he right! :nabble_anim_jump:

It is NOS and, as he pointed out, it is not only period correct with the instructions dated June of '82, but it has silver trim like my bezels! It is lighted and so much more attractive than my old tuneup vacuum gauge. THANK YOU, DAVID!

SW_Motor_Minder_Vacuum_Gauge.thumb.jpg.bdba6b4fb9719ab724298c00606f2e39.jpg

We had a successful trip to town today to run errands. Took Big Blue and have several observations.

The first thing I noticed was that the engine feels like it is much bigger. Acceleration is much quicker and easier due to the move of the throttle stud on the carb's linkage.

However, that also seems to have had the effect of making the speed control a bit more sensitive, which makes sense. So I'm going to explore moving the speed control's linkage to a different spot on the carb. Since I have several throttle cables I might remove the end from one and put it on another stud and attach the speed control to that and have the best of both worlds.

And, the radio is a hit! Janey likes it and we both think it sounds much, much better than the old one. Plus not having to connect a phone to it electrically each time you get in is a big plus. In fact, I got a call just after getting in and I didn't have to scramble and connect the phone in order to answer. Just pushed the Call button and we were talking.

And another observation - the bottom indicator on the Battery Parallel switch isn't easily visible in the daytime. It is probably just right at night, but not so in bright light. I briefly thought about changing the wiring so the top LEDs are the indicators of when the switch/function is on as those are brighter, but they are the ones with the graphic to tell which switch is which, and that's what I want to be able to see at night - without being blinded. Speaking of which, the LightDims still haven't come in the mail, and they are two days late and counting.

But, speaking of the mail, the new switch for the front locker did come today, so I can pull Mission Control apart and change out the switch. Which also means it is time to address the brightness of the switch indicators, assuming the LightDims do finally come in.

And, last but certainly not least, I got a surprise from David/1986F150Six in the mail. The nice note with it said in part "I cringe each time I see Big Blue's dash with the vacuum gauge. This will look better." And boy, is he right! :nabble_anim_jump:

It is NOS and, as he pointed out, it is not only period correct with the instructions dated June of '82, but it has silver trim like my bezels! It is lighted and so much more attractive than my old tuneup vacuum gauge. THANK YOU, DAVID!

Well...that’s nice! :nabble_anim_claps:

Found something I like better at CarToys, but the kid who was working there 1) knew nothing about it, and 2) thinks it's for GM trucks only. But I like this thing, it has electronic mirrors all over the place, and you can show whatever content you want on whatever mirror you want. This is important when you're pulling car trailers, eh?

20210224_1608201.jpg.28528e25ee9db2e9f35abcf0d944cf74.jpg

3D-printed plastic trim parts would be needed, I guess, but that should be doable methinks.

Anyhow, my standards have been elevated by this thing. :)

Found something I like better at CarToys, but the kid who was working there 1) knew nothing about it, and 2) thinks it's for GM trucks only. But I like this thing, it has electronic mirrors all over the place, and you can show whatever content you want on whatever mirror you want. This is important when you're pulling car trailers, eh?

3D-printed plastic trim parts would be needed, I guess, but that should be doable methinks.

Anyhow, my standards have been elevated by this thing. :)

Chris - Why not start a thread on those kinds of devices? You would get a lot more input than from the few that are following this thread.

Dane - Yes, it is very nice! I'm thrilled.

Now I have to figure out how to mount it. I'm thinking that I can screw the mount to the plastic shroud that goes around the steering column and it should be easy. Boy, it is going to look better. Hopefully I'll have pics to show tomorrow.

Chris - Why not start a thread on those kinds of devices? You would get a lot more input than from the few that are following this thread.

Dane - Yes, it is very nice! I'm thrilled.

Now I have to figure out how to mount it. I'm thinking that I can screw the mount to the plastic shroud that goes around the steering column and it should be easy. Boy, it is going to look better. Hopefully I'll have pics to show tomorrow.

Gary, that vacuum gauge really looks the part!

I'm sure it'll look even better when it's in place. :nabble_smiley_good:

Good looking out, David!

That's very thoughtful. :nabble_anim_handshake:

To Chris, I think the 360* view in the latest Ford trucks is pretty awesome too.

If you ever get a chance, check it out.

Though it probably takes more computational power than was on the space shuttle to paste all the cameras together into one image from one perspective.

A new thread is definitely in order.

I'm fine with mirrors but wish sometimes I had a tailgate handle with a fish eye lens so I could see the ball, or anything coming down the street when backing out of an alley.

Good looking out, David!

To Chris, I think the 360* view in the latest Ford trucks is pretty awesome too.

Though it probably takes more computational power than was on the space shuttle to paste all the cameras together into one image from one perspective.

I'm fine with mirrors but wish sometimes I had a tailgate handle with a fish eye lens so I could see the ball, or anything coming down the street when backing out of an alley.

Thanks, Jim. I hope to show later today how it looks installed. And, to say I'm stoked would be an understatement. I woke up several times in the night thinking of how I'm going to install it!

On the camera/mirror/display idea, I really do hope Chris starts that thread as I want to participate, but more importantly find out what options others know about. I didn't know about the Brandmotion one that he mentioned, and I think it is pretty much what I want.

As for seeing the ball, backing out of alleys, etc, Janey's 2014 MB has a birdseye view that beats the top end one on my 2015 F150 hands down. No comparison. Somehow it stitches together the output from several cameras to give a perfect view of the car from above. Blue's system works fairly well, but having seen the MB's view it pales. However, it is so far ahead of nothing that I know what I'm lacking, and want some of it.

Chris - Please start that thread!

Chris - Please start that thread!

OK, I'll post if/when Crutchfield responds to my email inquiry in which I asked 'what is that thing from CarToys and where can I get one for a Ford.' :) I'm really jonesing on those electronic mirrors all over the place, and I want whatever I get to match up with the brushed aluminum stuff that Kyle sent me years ago. Yes, I save everything. :)

Good looking out, David!

Jim, I have a small one on Darth, mounted at the top of the license plate. It uses a separate display about the size of a Garmin Nuvi.

Jim, I have a small one on Darth, mounted at the top of the license plate. It uses a separate display about the size of a Garmin Nuvi.

Bill - Wouldn't it be cool if there was a way to put GPS info in the rear view mirror? Toggle between rear view mirror, rear view camera, and GPS map?