Bullnose Forum

Big Blue's Transformation

Nice!

Yeah, the mafia couldn’t get USPS to deliver on Sunday, but Amazon can. Kinda scary!

LOL! Yeah, it is scary when you put it that way.

With Amazon committing to buying 100,000 electric delivery vehicles from Rivian it looks to me like they are making a serious attempt at being "the" package delivery solution, at least for the US. At what point does it become redundant to have a postal service?

LOL! Yeah, it is scary when you put it that way.

With Amazon committing to buying 100,000 electric delivery vehicles from Rivian it looks to me like they are making a serious attempt at being "the" package delivery solution, at least for the US. At what point does it become redundant to have a postal service?

It's a constitutional commitment.

Ben Franklin was the first Postmaster General of these United States.

It's a constitutional commitment.

Ben Franklin was the first Postmaster General of these United States.

Yep. But that was written when there were no other options. Anyway, I'm just thinking outside the box - the mail box. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Thinking about what I have left to do for Big Blue to be ready for Colorado, and not including packing, changing oil, etc:

• Finish the Mission Control switches & put the dash pad/cover back on. Then dim and balance the LEDs in the switches.

• Add relays under the hood for the fog and backup lights, and wire in the fog lights. Then add LED backup lights.

• Install the electric actuator and cable for the OX locker. Not that big of a deal as the wiring just plugs in and the cable screws in on each end. So the biggest part of the work is to drill the holes to hold it on.

• Put a new gasket in the midship tank

• Install the air compressor

That seems doable! Man, it has been a loooong haul, but I think I'm going to make it.

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n89136/Microphone_Installed.jpg

What;s the RJ jack for?

For the microphone on the Midland GXT-1000 GMRS radio. Overlanding and offroading are going away from CB to GMRS, so I installed that radio and have two handhelds that go with it. So when my brother and I head to Ouray this summer we'll be able to communicate.

For the microphone on the Midland GXT-1000 GMRS radio. Overlanding and offroading are going away from CB to GMRS, so I installed that radio and have two handhelds that go with it. So when my brother and I head to Ouray this summer we'll be able to communicate.

I've been *trying* to use the CB for the past few years (even had it in my truck when I brought it over there) but the thing is thiiiiis close to making it's way into the trash since there's virtually nobody using the things anymore, and it and its wires kinda get in the way, so....

I've been *trying* to use the CB for the past few years (even had it in my truck when I brought it over there) but the thing is thiiiiis close to making it's way into the trash since there's virtually nobody using the things anymore, and it and its wires kinda get in the way, so....

I would have agreed and do for the most part. But I have CB’s in three of my vehicles. And I have been driving a lot the last year or so.

The CB was very helpful navigating around road closures for fires and recently to find out why we were stopped in snow and ice. Obviously, someone was blocking the road, so more so to hear when we were going to go.

And there is always some motor mouth going off and I change the channel or turn it off. But I have found them useful again.

I would have agreed and do for the most part. But I have CB’s in three of my vehicles. And I have been driving a lot the last year or so.

The CB was very helpful navigating around road closures for fires and recently to find out why we were stopped in snow and ice. Obviously, someone was blocking the road, so more so to hear when we were going to go.

And there is always some motor mouth going off and I change the channel or turn it off. But I have found them useful again.

Chris - I didn't have any recent experience with CB radios to help me make a decision, but Bob/Nothing Special suggested that I do some research before buying so I did. And I found that Jeepers, and specifically the Jeep Jamboree, are going to GMRS. In fact, Jeep Jamboree is requiring that all participants have a GMRS radio this year.

But my research also found that GMRS is good for shorter range communications than CB's are. And that the truckers don't seem to be changing. So CB is currently better for getting traffic reports and GMRS is the coming thing for offroading or overlanding where you are wanting to communicate with people close to you.

And when I started comparing the units I found big differences. The GMRS radios are much smaller than CB's, and the antennas are tiny in comparison. It think my antenna is ~6" high and it adheres tightly to the cab roof with the magnetic base. So I put a BNC connector in the back of the cab beside the cargo light and can take the antenna off if I want. But since installing it I've forgotten about it and it just stays.

Then there are the handhelds. The ones I got in the kit fit in your hand and have an antenna that's maybe 4" long. But they can easily reach the base station several miles away. So the small size and clout are quite a draw.

And the sound is excellent. GMRS uses FM, so the sound is crisp and clear.

So I think GMRS was the right choice for my use, which will be to talk to others when on the trail, and specifically to my spotter when negotiating a tight spot.